Ketogenic diet

Options

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    My daughter was over for Easter. Haven't seen her since Christmas. She obviously lost a lot of weight. I asked her how she did it. She said she was on the KETO Diet. 38 lbs.
  • LodiLooWho64
    LodiLooWho64 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love it. I'm going to stick with it for a year, steer toward healthy fats as best I can and see what happens.
    Here we go! Here is the thing tho'....If you want to have a bm every day, eat your carbs in low carb and high fiber veggies. Other wise, get ready for a real change up in that department. Also, lots of water.....lots.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    gr8f8h wrote: »
    I love it. I'm going to stick with it for a year, steer toward healthy fats as best I can and see what happens.
    Here we go! Here is the thing tho'....If you want to have a bm every day, eat your carbs in low carb and high fiber veggies. Other wise, get ready for a real change up in that department. Also, lots of water.....lots.

BM frequency and bulk does drop if you reduce fibre and carbs. Most don't get constipated though, because the fats keeps things moving. There is just less...poo.

If you increase water, make sure you increase salt even more. Too much water can lower electrolytes even more than cutting carbs does. :)
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have been working out a daily meal plan which I enjoy and with easy recipes. Heavy carbs dishes are not good for me and never have been good for me. I have a list of 35 + low carb. vegetables, to eat with proteins, so I never get sick and tired of them. It works for me.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I'm currently on a keto diet for my epilepsy which is a bit different than the standard keto. For neuro conditions it's 80-90% fat, 5-15% protein, 0-5% carbs (which is what I'm following). Fat doesn't fill be up like protein/carbs do unfortunately. The good thing though is my seizures have been decreasing. Surprisingly, I'm rapidly losing weight (Even though that wasn't my original intention) despite eating over 2,500 calories and over 200 grams of fat. I use a minimum of 12 tablespoons of coconut oil per day. Its really good in recipes! Cellulite is disappearing so I guess that's a plus lol. And my blood sugar crashes finally stopped.

were your seizures due to your blood sugar crashing? are you diabetic too or? what do you mean rapidly losing weight? and how do you measure your food intake? because rapid weight loss is usually from a very high deficit which should not be the case if you are really eating 2500 calories, unless you are on the go all day every day,or you have an underlying health issue causing it that you dont know about.

Its a possibility that my seizures are due to low blood sugar, although ive had seizures since age 7. I dont have diabetes but my father does. I have reactive hypoglycemia, epilepsy, IBS, Gastroparesis, and SIBO. Veggies, fruits, grains, nuts, seeds, beans, wheat, and most dairy makes me look 5 months pregnant along with gas, cramps, bowel issues (my stomach will temporarily swell). My safe foods are meat, butter, oils, nut butters, cream cheese, etc. Anything low in fiber (however, i have to avoid refined foods and sugars because of my reactive hypoglycemia). Coconut oil helps me use the bathroom. The IBS-C, Gastroparesis, and methane SIBO causes chronic constipation and slow motility. TMI...but...Coconut oil gives me the runs and I'd rather have that then being backed up for 3-4 weeks. I use a measuring spoon (tablespoon) to fill ice cube trays with coconut oil, nut butter, and stevia and freeze. They taste great! I go through 1-2 trays per day.

Does the high fat bother your gastroparesis? I have severe gastroparesis (70% left at 4 hours) and Crohn's (with an ileostomy so constipation isn't an issue just slow output) and I have been told low fibre, low/moderate fat as fat apparently slows motility.

Fat does not bother me. Only fiber bothers my GP. Everyone who has GP will have their own severity of it. Your's sounds pretty bad. Do what you need to do to manage your symptoms xoxo

I have a recent, tentative diagnosis of gastroparesis. I'm not about to stop following a ketogenic diet, but I haven't found many resources that offer guidance.

Any tips?

Fast Tract Diet (medical gut-friendly diet, although it can be modified as low carb/keto if you wish).
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    B.S. for me. Any diet that doesnt allow me to eat several fruits a day isnt for me. I'm not a big meat eater. I love carbs
  • Keto60man
    Keto60man Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi. Would like to join in the discussion about keto diet. Not sure how to chat. Let me know how you all communicate? Thanks
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keto60man wrote: »
    Hi. Would like to join in the discussion about keto diet. Not sure how to chat. Let me know how you all communicate? Thanks

@Keto60man you're in. :)
    This thread is a debate about the positives and negatives of a ketogenic diet. If you want to chat with people who are successfully doing keto, try the LowCarber Daily and Keto MFP groups. They are small side groups than the main forum is, but the information and support is useful if you are trying keto.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Here's a great evidence-based article about the ketogenic diet by Georgie Fear - a PhD, registered dietician and sports nutritionist: http://georgiefear.com/2016/12/15/the-truth-about-ketogenic-dieting/

While I agree with you (I love my carbs!), this guy is making a splash in the Indoor sprint rowing world. I've followed his training logs and talked to him about his diet. That sports nutritionist didn't look too hard if he couldn't find any performance athletes that are low carb. Baker did break the 1000m WR for over 50 this year. He's not just Low Carb, he's zero carb.

http://www.15minutecorporatewarrior.com/podcast/shawn-baker-zero-carb/

I personally want to vomit thinking about never eating veggies or fruit, but it's working for him.
  • skryking
    skryking Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As a type 2 diabetic, low or no carb is almost a must for me. Really sucks as I really really like ice cream.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    skryking wrote: »
    As a type 2 diabetic, low or no carb is almost a must for me. Really sucks as I really really like ice cream.

Not to rock the boat, but there are distant facsimiles you can make with heavy cream blended with flavoring (like vanilla extract) and small amounts of stevia and frozen in small ice cube trays...
  • KiwiLifter
    KiwiLifter Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    No. I like carbs.

• jcgadfly
    jcgadfly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not easy to keep going in the long term. Not easy to build muscle on (if you do resistance training).