Subtracting foods from diary!!

Options
I had no idea that you can type in a MINUS (-) as the quantity and it will subtract what you didn't eat!
In my case, I have lots of burritos without tortillas. I can do what with so many things.
I'm happy. Beats searching for it...or worse, having to do the math myself.
:bigsmile:

Replies

• ccchapman
    Options
    Wow! Thanks, I didn't know. This will be very helpful.
  • ashleymariec89
    ashleymariec89 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    confused? what?!
  • eventgal
    eventgal Posts: 29
    Options
    Thank you for that info! I am new to this site and I was wondering if that was possible. For instance, I got a taco salad at a restaurant this weekend, but did not eat the shell. Now, I know just how to handle that! Gracias!!!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I think what she's saying is that say you entered a burrito into your diary. That burrito came in a shell, with beans, chicken, rice and cheese, but you only at the contents and didn't eat the tortilla shell itself. You can enter the whole burrito (which is probably in the database) but then as a separate food enter a plain tortilla and set the number of servings to -1 (negative one) and MFP will subtract the nutritional values from your diary (thereby taking out the calories you didn't eat in the tortilla).
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I think what she's saying is that say you entered a burrito into your diary. That burrito came in a shell, with beans, chicken, rice and cheese, but you only at the contents and didn't eat the tortilla shell itself. You can enter the whole burrito (which is probably in the database) but then as a separate food enter a plain tortilla and set the number of servings to -1 (negative one) and MFP will subtract the nutritional values from your diary (thereby taking out the calories you didn't eat in the tortilla).

Neat! I just created my own food the other day by subtracting feta and mayo out of Montana's Veggie Burger but that was a tedius process, this sounds fun!
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I bow to your math and computer genius. As the world's pickiest eater that will always leave some part of the meal on her plate, this is very useful info for me!
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    THANKS SUZI,SOOO SMART!!!!!
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!!!
  • proctorgirl07
    proctorgirl07 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    it was simply a fluke..I gave it a try! Honestly I am the queen of going out to eat, even while on a diet plan. Knowing I can minus out what I don't eat is a good thing.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Que Bueno!!!!!!!!
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Wow.... that's great info to know! I had no idea you could do that either! It will be helpful in the future! Thanks for sharing!
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    NICE!
  • loopylinny
    Options
    Awesome thanks so much for this! I made a Veggie Chilli Hotpot earlier and only used half as many potato slices as I expected to so it's good to know that I can subtract the calories I saved!
  • bbjlan
    bbjlan Posts: 6
    Options
    Okay I'm slow! I still cant figure it out. Just to try it out I entered tortilla but there is no negative sign anywhere(in the servings) for me as an option. What am I missing!? LOL Duh I get it now!!! I was trying to do it from my phone!!:ohwell:
  • timothy_dutton
    timothy_dutton Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have wanted this feature FOREVER! So much easier to take out 1 ingredient than to rebuild the other 8 ingredients of a food. The reason I haven't been able to do it until today is that I use almost exclusively the Android app. you CANNOT add a negative serving amount on the android app. It will give you an error that you have not entered a valid amount. It only worked for me when I entered the food via myfitnesspal.com in a browser. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add this functionality to the mobile apps!
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    threetone wrote: »
    I have wanted this feature FOREVER! So much easier to take out 1 ingredient than to rebuild the other 8 ingredients of a food. The reason I haven't been able to do it until today is that I use almost exclusively the Android app. you CANNOT add a negative serving amount on the android app. It will give you an error that you have not entered a valid amount. It only worked for me when I entered the food via myfitnesspal.com in a browser. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add this functionality to the mobile apps!

Users could use the add negative quantity on the Web and the mobile apps until it was dropped from the mobile apps sometime in 2014 - I can't remember the exact time period but I think it was around the time the Verified food entries were rolled out. It is now only available on the Web version.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    bbjlan wrote: »
    Okay I'm slow! I still cant figure it out. Just to try it out I entered tortilla but there is no negative sign anywhere(in the servings) for me as an option. What am I missing!? LOL Duh I get it now!!! I was trying to do it from my phone!!:ohwell:

Did you figure it out? You have to type the actual hyphen in to subtract the serving size. :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i had no idea you could do that!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I see people do it with Big Macs etc who don't eat the bun. They log the big mac then separately log big mac bun -1 serving.