Do you log every day?

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Everything, everyday (since last July). I wasn't logging exhaustively before then and it showed. Cultivate logging as a habit and it will seem less tedious over time. I make a point to pre-log as much as I can whenever convenient so it's less intrusive around preparing food and eating. I often will put a placeholder portion with a round number and adjust for accuracy after I weigh that food.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    edited April 2018
    During the week I prelog all my meals the day/night before, I also meal prep on Sundays, it only takes me 5 minutes to log and I find it much less stressful to know exactly what I will be eating next and how much of it I can eat. I also have a fairly big chunk of my calories as an evening/post workout snack that I can play around with, so if I have an unexpected treat during the day I can just nix that snack.

I do plan to count when in maintenance but as others have mentioned I'll be less strict with weighing everything. I believe I am one of those people whose "you're stomach is full, you've eaten enough" switch is broken so counting really helps and I don't think mindful/intuitive eating will ever work for me but lots of people can do it.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    In maitenance for 4 years. Yes I log every day BUT I do not log meticulously, very approximate loose logging - many things I don't weigh, every banana etc is same size, packaged food it's what the packet says, every cheesecake slice is same size and same recipe, I guesstimate lots.

This my method as well, coming up on three years logging and it's such an ingrained habit that it isn't tedious at all so why stop now? I decided to do a mini cut recently after overindulging at Easter and it was so much easier to just adjust my logging rather than having to start building up the habit all over again.
  • nballos77
    nballos77 Posts: 80 Member
    Yes, every day!!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    i love numbers and math it calms me....tracking my food is simple because i eat the same things basically everyday just in different rotations. If i eat out its rare so i wont bother logging, If its something relatively simple like a donut ill log it but otherwise ill use my energy to just not eat like an idiot for the rest of the day and focus on keeping active.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Only in maintenance 5-6 weeks, still logging everything every day. I use my phone for convenience. I don't always weigh and I don't always log right away when eating with others and it is likely that I have estimated wrong sometimes and maybe forgotten an item here and there. So far I have been still losing, just slower. The way I will adjust that is upping allowance and then seeing if I can get there by tracking.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Yes and I love logging my food. However, I'm not great about doing it on the weekends and sometimes I slack logging dinner.
  • pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    In maitenance for 4 years. Yes I log every day BUT I do not log meticulously, very approximate loose logging - many things I don't weigh, every banana etc is same size, packaged food it's what the packet says, every cheesecake slice is same size and same recipe, I guesstimate lots.

For me this is happy medium between tedious meticulous logging and keeping no record at all.
    Just enough for me to see roughly what I am doing and have enough accountability to stay on track.

If I go on vacation and really no way of tracking with any accuracy at all - I take a week or so off and then start again when I get home.

This is what I have started although mostly on weekends so far so good. I will keep on logging till my year anniversary of being in maintenance which isn't till September then will go from there.
  • Secretnotes
    Secretnotes Posts: 46 Member
    Yes. This is my third time in maintenance. Two "weight creep" episodes were enough to convince me that I need a structured record so I can spot the trends.
  • Sheluvsbread2much
    Sheluvsbread2much Posts: 85 Member
    I log every day. When I reach my weight loss goal I think I will continue to log but perhaps every other day. I also find it tedious, but it's very helpful. Someone posted that after reaching their goal, they no longer log but they weigh themselves every day so if the scale goes over their 5lb limit, it's time to start logging. I think that's a good idea.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Everyday except on vacations or when I'm taking a break
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    yes
  • TheWalrusisdead
    TheWalrusisdead Posts: 7 Member
    I flirted with other diets that require food journals and I never did it so I was never successful at those.

I joined MFP, log everything. Major success and I'm finally achieving something for the first time on my own.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I do, every day.
  • ArleneSchrader1
    ArleneSchrader1 Posts: 20 Member
    I don't log every day, I forget, get busy or some other stuff. I try to stay on track though. I really need to lose weight for my health. I notice when I am pretty much logging in daily I am able to lose weight better. When I get to my goal weight I am hoping to have learned a healthier way of life. I do think though it is going to take a long time, at least for me.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I don't log food but I can't eat intuitively either - that experiment directly led to my highest ever weight with no signs of weight gain slowing down. Funny that "set point theory" doesn't stop you gaining.....

I'm calorie aware though and weigh daily to spot any developing trend. Mindful eating I suppose would be another description.
  • downtowncheftom
    downtowncheftom Posts: 1 Member
    I have logged every day for the last 33 weeks. I also use Map My Walk for my 3.5 to 8 mile walks and log that too. Yes, it can be tedious, but it has been real helpful for me. I have actually learned a lot by logging, and I think what I have learned will continue to be helpful once I reach my weight goal.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    LJay89 wrote: »
    I was in a place where I couldn't log because I also found it tedious. I think part of it is a motivation thing, I am now working with a PT and I am extremely motivated, also I want to get to a place where I can eat the maximum amount of calories while losing fat so I have to be as accurate as possible...

It could also just not be what works for you? To lose weight we need a calorie deficit, there are many methods that help with that you might just need to experiment.

People in 'maitaining weight' don't need a calorie deficit, of course.

That is one thing that makes relaxed logging or not logging easier - you are used to eating less from when you were losing and so you have more to eat in maitenance than in losing so isnt hard to stick to.
    IME anyway.

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    I stopped logging last June after realizing I weighed same every week and knew instinctively what I was eating. I had been in maintenance for 1-1/2 years. Now, I weigh one more pound than I did in June, still do not log and life is good. I am here every day. I am hyper-aware of what I eat, BUT, logging is not a priority. I get that we are all a bit obsessive...I just like to run.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    I have been logging for every day for over a year. It works for me.