More muscle!!

Options
Hey All,

5’11 169lbs 23% bf - 6 months in the gym 5 days a week - Need more lbs of muscle, appreciate any tips :)

Replies

• Hotrod911
    Hotrod911 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Workout
    Mon – Back/Legs
    Tue – Chest/Triceps
    Wed – Shoulder/Legs
    Fri – Back/Biceps
    Sat – Chest/Legs

Supplements
    D3 5000IU
    CoQ10 100mg
    Fish oil 1400mg
    B complex
    Multivitamin
    Probiotic
    Whey Isolate 30g/scoop twice daily
    L-arginine 500mg twice daily
    Preworkout

Meals
    Wake up and drink protein shake
    Breakfast – oatmeal with walnuts, blueberries and half banana and 2 eggs (whites only)
    Snack – protein bar 20g
    Lunch – chicken breast, salad and very little rice
    Snack – protein shake
    Preworkout drink before the gym
    Protein bar 20g after gym
    Dinner – 1.5 Salmon with salad (chick peas, carrots, tomatoes, corn)

• abbynormal52
    abbynormal52 Posts: 151 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Doesn't look like enough food, maybe I'm missing something, but when we are doing weights, those muscles need a lot of fuel. But looking again I should say that until I know the totals of your macros. Protein, Carbs, Fats.
  • Hotrod911
    Options
    @abbynormal52
    Yes got the fitnesspal app and apparently i have been in deficit inspite of eating all that protein....try really hard to eat more but feel like am going to throw up....so Q is what are good high calorie good carbs to eat. Also have high cholesterol issues (genetic) so usually am scared to load up on cheese, cream etc
  • Hotrod911
    Options
    Doesn't look like enough food, maybe I'm missing something, but when we are doing weights, those muscles need a lot of fuel. But looking again I should say that until I know the totals of your macros. Protein, Carbs, Fats.

Hi just checking...Would appreciate any tips.
  • Hotrod911
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    What do you do in the gym now?

Would appreciate any tips - thanks
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 356 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    How many calories are you eating and what's your macro breakdown in grams p/c/f?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options

johny911 wrote: »

Add some healthy fats, avocado, olive oil, sunflower oil, nuts, seeds, fish and some more carbs, like instead of having a little rice, have more. Your food intake reads like a woman trying to lose weight, not a man trying to bulk up muscle.
  • Hotrod911
    Options
    How many calories are you eating and what's your macro breakdown in grams p/c/f?

After figuring out that am in a deficit (thanks to myfitnesspal) I have started eating more. I need 2600 but with all the walking (10k steps/day) and the gym - i need almost 3600. I have cut back on the walking and sauna. I was trying to keep up 170g of protein a day but apparently i need more carbs as per the app and the macros are set to C 45%, F 30% and P 25%. I have no idea what to follow for macros but am open to suggestions.
  • Hotrod911
    Options
    johny911 wrote: »

Add some healthy fats, avocado, olive oil, sunflower oil, nuts, seeds, fish and some more carbs, like instead of having a little rice, have more. Your food intake reads like a woman trying to lose weight, not a man trying to bulk up muscle.

Wow brutal but honest....Will give it a shot. Already at 23% body fat so was trying to keep that down or reduce it. Thanks.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, you are not eating enough. Checkout scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ it should give you an idea of how much you should eat to build muscle.

Are you following a specific program, you may not be lifting heavy enough.
  • Hotrod911
    Options
    PWRLFTR1 wrote: »
    I agree with others, you are not eating enough. Checkout scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ it should give you an idea of how much you should eat to build muscle.

Will check it out thanks. No programs currently (should I? If yes then which one do you recommend?) and yes not lifting very heavy -
    a - did not have the energy
    b - back injuries

Thanks.
  • abbynormal52
    Options
    Hotrod911 wrote: »
    @abbynormal52
    Yes got the fitnesspal app and apparently i have been in deficit inspite of eating all that protein....try really hard to eat more but feel like am going to throw up....so Q is what are good high calorie good carbs to eat. Also have high cholesterol issues (genetic) so usually am scared to load up on cheese, cream etc

I'm sorry I didn't see this Hotrod, look at my diaries to see what my foods are, as well as others diaries. Then you can adjust your "goals". Did you use a TDEE calculator, I can't remember. Here's a good one and I'm following it, and putting in "custom" settings for my goals;) I want to lose fat and gain muscle, so in 11 days, I've lost 2 lbs, and one inch so far.

You need your carbs and fats too Rod, I'm no expert, but I do believe that. So my macros (protein, carbs, fats) are set at 30 protein, carbs 40, fats 30.
  • abbynormal52
    Options

Hi Rod, let me know how you are doing. I don't get an alert on threads I follow, only the ones I start I guess:( So yes, I see lots of good recommends on here, for food, etc. I have had some choletstrol issues as well, but when I eat balanced, and right portions, no problems with my cholestrol. Thing is, we have health issues sometimes that "decide" what we have to eat, types of foods, so you and I may have to eat differently. Depends on your own circumstances.

I don't think I gave you the link to my TDEE calculator so here it is: https://damnripped.com/tdee-calculator/

• PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    PWRLFTR1 wrote: »

Will check it out thanks. No programs currently (should I? If yes then which one do you recommend?) and yes not lifting very heavy -
    a - did not have the energy
    b - back injuries

Thanks.

There are plenty of programs, but 2 good progressive programs for beginners are Stronglifts 5x5 and Wendler 5-3-1. A quick google search you should be able to find the programs, I also believe they both have apps if you use a smart phone. If you don't know what your 1RM (one rep max) is, just start with the bar.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Eat more food
  • abbynormal52
    Options

After figuring out that am in a deficit (thanks to myfitnesspal) I have started eating more. I need 2600 but with all the walking (10k steps/day) and the gym - i need almost 3600. I have cut back on the walking and sauna. I was trying to keep up 170g of protein a day but apparently i need more carbs as per the app and the macros are set to C 45%, F 30% and P 25%. I have no idea what to follow for macros but am open to suggestions.

You can "feel" your way on these, but what I found works good is the 40, 30, 30. But it is kind of trial and error because you'll get a lot of different ways people do it, and it works for them;) But it can be a place to start if you like Rod;) 40 carbs, 30, fat, 30 protein.

• basic_bro
    basic_bro Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Steroids bro