oops made pasta

Options
Hi, so I have recently had a hard time to stick to eating healthy.
I will sit and plan what to eat but the only thing I want to eat is creamy pasta T_T
I don't know if it's a discipline problem but I'm struggling to getting back on track.
I have been on low carb, high protein and tried Keto which might not be for me as I go crazy on the carbs when stressed.

any advise would be appreciated.

Replies

• ameliam412
    ameliam412 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a poor student trying my best to manage my stress.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Sometimes when I need lower carb but want pasta, I do half and half. I only do angel hair pasta as I believe you get more pasta for less calories. But, I do half a serving of that and then I do a full serving of spiralized pasta made from zucchini. Do you have a spiralizer? If not, they sell the spiralized zucchini pasta frozen at Walmart. That should be pretty cheap for you. And try to pay attention to the nutrition facts on the creamy pasta sauce. Can you use marinara sauce instead? There's a brand at Walmart that is 35 calories for 1/2cup. I use that and add Parmesan cheese and with the fiber in the zucchini, it fills me right up. I always mix in broccoli and mushrooms in my pasta too to fill me even more up and get those greens in.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow cheese wedges make a decent lower-calorie creamy pasta sauce: http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/laughing-cow-fettuccine-226907
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I have two favorite "pastas"-- I spiralize zucchini and add whatever sauce I want OR I use tofu noodles. An entire bag will fill up a plate and only has 30 calories. Super satisfying.
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I’ve done this two ways because I am (was) a huge pasta eater. The first time I would make only a single serving so I would not over eat it and add a lot of broccoli to it. Also, I recently discovered zucchini noodles and found with the right pasta sauce it is just as satisfying as eating the pasta, so I feel like I’m over eating pasta, but the calories are don’t equal a lot
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    What do you consider “on track”? Whatever foods you associate with that, do you think it would help if you had a serving of that along with the creamy pasta dish you like? That way, eating it might feel less to you like you’ve gone off track and need to get back on. It’s all the same track. ;)

How many calories are in the creamy pasta dish you eat, and how many calories do you aim to eat a day?

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with pasta. eat it and enjoy it. log it-move on
    also, pasta can't be an oops, it takes intention to make it
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    If you find yourself craving certain things, which might lead you to binge your diet might be too restrictive or too rigid. I have found when I allow myself some things I enjoy, and finding lower calories options for other things I used to eat all the time I am better able to stick to an overall better diet.

For example, I love eggs. And I love bagels. Every morning, or for lunch, I have two eggs, two slices of turkey bacon and one slice of cheese on a bagel. It adds up to just over 500 calories, but I love bagels and I really enjoy them. I find a way to fit them into my day. I am also pretty active - at the gym 5 - 6 days/week so I don't feel like this is a big deal. Before, when I was just eating two eggs or I wouldn't allow myself what I enjoyed I was rebounding and bingeing hard. Maybe if you need to, find the things you enjoy eating and find a way to fit them in. Pasta isn't bad, but it can be calorically dense so you need to figure out a portion that fits into your day.

I love pasta . . . it's one of my favourite meals. Just have to eat smaller portions, that's all.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    ameliam412 wrote: »
    Hi, so I have recently had a hard time to stick to eating healthy.
    I will sit and plan what to eat but the only thing I want to eat is creamy pasta T_T
    I don't know if it's a discipline problem but I'm struggling to getting back on track.
    I have been on low carb, high protein and tried Keto which might not be for me as I go crazy on the carbs when stressed.

any advise would be appreciated.

Eat the creamy pasta. Have it as part of your daily calorie intake. Play around with recipes to find what suits you and your calorie goals best.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I made lasagna last Saturday night...nothing wrong with that...
  • jasmineemmaeats
    jasmineemmaeats Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Try making a low carb yummy dish and eating that first. Whenever I'm craving pasta I find if I go and eat something super tasty and healthier by the time I've finished I don't fancy the carbs anymore (made this one for dinner and was amazing http://madeleineshaw.com/recipes/grilled-corn-and-nectarine-salad/)

But if you give in to the pasta every so often don't beat yourself up about it! We're all human :smile:
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Pasta is yummy and can fit into any healthy eating. I use whole grain, but only b/c I have high cholesterol and trying to use diet and exercise to get that number down.
    I eat pasta multiple times a week, no harm, no foul and still losing weight.
    Just stay away from the creamy, buttery sauces.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Pasta is yummy and can fit into any healthy eating. I use whole grain, but only b/c I have high cholesterol and trying to use diet and exercise to get that number down.

Or, if someone wants, have the creamy sauces . . . just choose portions that fit into calorie goals.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Why? What is wrong with fitting the creamy, buttery sauces into calorie goal? Sure, if it's that high then the rest of the day may need tweaking or a smaller portion is needed. But there really is no need to deny self what we want because it is "bad".
  • ameliam412
    ameliam412 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks for the great advice everyone!
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I ate pasta two times a day (lunch and dinner) whenever I was in Italy and always lost weight. So it's not the pasta itself.
    I make pasta at least once a week, but I eat one serving (before mfp tracking I'd probably eat 2-3 if I were making it myself). I prefer to just cut up a tomato and put it on the pasta. Depending on how many calories I have available, I sometimes will make a sauce of tomatos, olive oil, onion, garlic and spices. But I love tomatos so even a raw tomato on the pasta is a treat for me. Spinach with the pasta is good, as well as other vegetable combinations. Now and then I'll make a meat sauce but that's rare since pasta is usually a 15 minute meal for me.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all wrong with pasta. And, you can do a lot to make it more filling.

Say you do 200 calories of noodles. Saute in 1/2 tbsp of oil - a bag of spinach, 1/2 red pepper, red onion, and 1 big carrot with fresh chopped garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and a can of tomato paste. This will make a nice chunky sauce that will taste better than the store bought stuff. For the creaminess - top the pasta and sauce with ricotta cheese or fat free feta cheese. If there is room in your day, add in 3 oz of chicken.

All of that can easily come in under 500 calories.