Gaining muscle while losing body fat.

Options
Hi, I’ve been on my fitness journey for awhile now. I use to never really work out until I decided I wanted to change my lifestyle around. I’ve always had a lil extra fat in my stomach a little bit more love handles. When I started the gym I started lifting weights (for legs/glutes).I’m still learning but I’m at a point where I want to lose weight but still keep my gains. Can anyone help?

Replies

• adarbyem
    adarbyem Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know exactly why it works, but what I am doing seems to be working. I have lost 20lbs (7% body fat) and my strength is increasing slow but steady. I am assuming that with my strength training and cardio workouts I am losing fat and gaining muscle. I think some key points are to make sure you actually eat all your calories, make sure you are getting an ample amount of protein, and keep consistent. As far as "gains", I wont really notice until my blanket of fat disappears more, but I feel like there is a physique hiding under there somewhere. Good luck!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    In order to cut.. so lower your bodyfat% but maintain as much muscle as possible:
    -You want to eat a a slight calorie deficit (nothing too aggressive)
    -Follow a progressive resistance program, make sure there is sufficient glute work, at least 2x per week
    -Adequate protein (around 0.8-1g per lb lean body mass /goalweight minimum)

Alternatively, depending on your stats and bodyfat% (if you are at a good weight for your height) you can recomp.. so eat at maintenance instead of a calorie deficit to lose fat and build muscle slowly over time. Everything else would stay the same.