Any tips on increasing activity slowly/carefully to avoid injury?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I recently injured my leg going for a 45min walk. An ordinary walk. Just walking, I strained a muscle and I now need to do a lot of recovery things to get it back to normal. I did go to the clinic because I could barely walk and had an inflamed lump.

It’s getting better now but wow. I feel so frustrated because it seems like such a minimal activity but it was too much for my body to handle I guess.

Anyway, I know I need to start exercising, but I feel at a loss for how to proceed when things that are at like the bottom of the barrel in terms of fitness seem to injure me.

If there was something that worked for you, or an article or anything about how to go slowly, I would appreciate it.

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I have bad reactions if I exercise too much when I haven’t built up, so I started walking- 1 minute a day, adding a minute every day. Or 2 adding 2 minutes. It feels painfully slow, but it really only knocks you back a month or two. Because you have a 30 minute walk in a month, and an hour walk in 2 months- which is better than a longer walk followed by months of therapy, you know?

• kiela64
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I add the same response I add in similar threads.
    Swimming. It is zero joint impact. Works the whole body. And increasing endurance is a simple as Just one more lap.
    When you are beat and think you are done, rest a minute and do one more lap.
    Each week, do one more lap than you did the previous week.
    I have arthritis in my feet. No impact aerobics for me. So i swim.
    shaumom wrote: »
    I have bad reactions if I exercise too much when I haven’t built up, so I started walking- 1 minute a day, adding a minute every day. Or 2 adding 2 minutes. It feels painfully slow, but it really only knocks you back a month or two. Because you have a 30 minute walk in a month, and an hour walk in 2 months- which is better than a longer walk followed by months of therapy, you know?

Thank you both!

My swimming form is not great, but maybe I can start trying to do that more. It takes a lot of prep (organizing the towel, goggles, shampoo to take with me, etc) so I haven't really been thinking of it.

I'll try that. One minute does feel frustratingly slow, but injuries suck so I guess I'd better take it easy and do that.

A friend of mine keeps saying that walking isn't exercise, so I'm so embarrassed that it hurt me :/ Like it shouldn't even count.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I add the same response I add in similar threads.
    Swimming. It is zero joint impact. Works the whole body. And increasing endurance is a simple as Just one more lap.
    When you are beat and think you are done, rest a minute and do one more lap.
    Each week, do one more lap than you did the previous week.
    I have arthritis in my feet. No impact aerobics for me. So i swim.
    shaumom wrote: »

Thank you both!

My swimming form is not great, but maybe I can start trying to do that more. It takes a lot of prep (organizing the towel, goggles, shampoo to take with me, etc) so I haven't really been thinking of it.

I'll try that. One minute does feel frustratingly slow, but injuries suck so I guess I'd better take it easy and do that.

A friend of mine keeps saying that walking isn't exercise, so I'm so embarrassed that it hurt me :/ Like it shouldn't even count.

Im currently 24 years old 125 pounds (down from 235) and am now very fit and i walk 10-15 miles a day...And just last week i hurt my knee walking. Dont worry your not alone :p I second just slow and steady. Even if its just 5 minutes here 10 minutes there...Theres no need to go all at once, Let your body rest in between, Ya'know?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I put on a pedometer and tracked what I was walking in a normal day. Then I added 500 to make my goal. Once I was walking at that level every day, I added another 500. At that point, I worked on speeding up a little before adding more steps. I also added strength training and flexibility in on weeks that I did not increase my steps.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I recently injured my leg going for a 45min walk. An ordinary walk. Just walking, I strained a muscle

What happened - did you slip? And which specific leg muscle was injured?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Yep. Trying to be a warrior early on after being a couch potato and obese didn't work for me. I got a bone bruise (per the ortho guy) and walking was on hold for many weeks. The doc's suggestions were either a stationary bike or swimming. I opted to purchase an inexpensive bike which 4 years later I still use during cold months. Another option is chair exercises. One can get a decent workout with them when putting in some effort with little impact (or none) on the legs. Youtube is loaded with chair exercise, senior exercise videos.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I recently injured my leg going for a 45min walk. An ordinary walk. Just walking, I strained a muscle

What happened - did you slip? And which specific leg muscle was injured?

No slipping, just went for a 45min walk, then later that evening I noticed a sore/inflamed lump lower on my calf. I can't remember the name of the muscle, and it isn't on your chart. It's a small muscle under the calf bulge.
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Yep. Trying to be a warrior early on after being a couch potato and obese didn't work for me. I got a bone bruise (per the ortho guy) and walking was on hold for many weeks. The doc's suggestions were either a stationary bike or swimming. I opted to purchase an inexpensive bike which 4 years later I still use during cold months. Another option is chair exercises. One can get a decent workout with them when putting in some effort with little impact (or none) on the legs. Youtube is loaded with chair exercise, senior exercise videos.

Thank you! Swimming is a good, recurring suggestion - it just definitely takes a lot more pre-planning and time than just popping out for a walk. Youtube might be a good compromise.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Aquafit is another low-impact option you might like. Also consider gentle beginner yoga. YouTube has some amazing options. I feel it has helped me become more aware of my muscles and flexibility helped avoid injuries. As someone who’s experienced debilitating injuries in my 20s and 30s, I can tell you it’s an important balance between making fitness progress and setting yourself back with injuries. I also really like the option @concordancia has suggested. You can use a free pedometer app on your phone so it won’t cost you anything.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I had to start with seated workouts for the obese, injured or elderly off of you tube when I started because walking caused too much pain. I gradually transitioned to short standing workouts and walking more. Do what you can right now and gradually increase time or intensity.
    If you are injured heal up. If you can try pool exercises that might be good.
    When I could walk I got a pedometer and tracked for a week to see where I was and then set a goal of increasing my steps by 1,000-2,000. When I could do the new amount fairly easily I added more. I went from under 2,000 steps to 3,000 to 5,000 to 7,000 to 8,000 but it was over many months.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    No slipping, just went for a 45min walk, then later that evening I noticed a sore/inflamed lump lower on my calf. I can't remember the name of the muscle, and it isn't on your chart. It's a small muscle under the calf bulge.

Sounds like the Soleus or Plantaris. Either way, i'm not so sure that increasing slower would have prevented that particular injury. Most calf issues while walking are from tight calves (common) and sometimes cramping due to electrolyte/hydration issues. The main cause of tight calves is wearing shoes with a raised heel, which 90% of shoes have. So i would switch to "zero heel" shoes, such as Keds, Vans, skateboard shoes, Altras, etc. Try to wear them throughout the day too. If you decide to run in the future, a raised heel can help prevent Achilles strains, but it causes trouble when walking. :+1:
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    First, your friend is an idiot. Walking is exercising. You have no reason to be embarrassed because what you're doing isn't "real" exercise. Sheesh! And for crying out loud, a 45 minute walk is about 2 miles, which is a respectable distance. Good for you!!

I agree with @Cherimoose about staying hydrated. Kind of related to what she says, I would drive yourself over to a running store and be professionally fitted for shoes that are best for you. The employee will typically watch you walk in a couple different pairs of shoes (I tried on 4) and narrow down your choices to the best ones. The only reason my answer is a little different is because improper shoes give me shin splints, and I can't tolerate flat shoes like skateboard shoes or Vans.

• kiela64
    edited April 2018
    Options
    First, your friend is an idiot. Walking is exercising. You have no reason to be embarrassed because what you're doing isn't "real" exercise. Sheesh! And for crying out loud, a 45 minute walk is about 2 miles, which is a respectable distance. Good for you!!

I agree with @Cherimoose about staying hydrated. Kind of related to what she says, I would drive yourself over to a running store and be professionally fitted for shoes that are best for you. The employee will typically watch you walk in a couple different pairs of shoes (I tried on 4) and narrow down your choices to the best ones. The only reason my answer is a little different is because improper shoes give me shin splints, and I can't tolerate flat shoes like skateboard shoes or Vans.

Thank you! Yeah he said it isn’t fast enough to be cardio and it’s not weight lifting so it doesn’t increase strength or cardiovascular fitness, therefore it isn’t exercise. He thinks he knows a lot about fitness & nutrition and says it’s “science” but I’m really skeptical.

Edit: I had 2 more paragraphs but MFP ate them when I hit post! Anyway the gist was - my physiotherapist actually referred me to get checked out for orthotics, and between you & the other commentor I remembered that I’ve got some dr schols inserts in my shoes that do raise the heel a little. I had forgotten about that, because they’ve been there for like 2 years. I’m surprised it would be a problem now, after having no issues for so long. But maybe!

Edit2: Oh yeah this is my other point - I thought running stores sold only running shoes, not walking shoes, and there appears to be a difference. Also, I’m nervous going into a store that’s marketed specifically for fit people.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    If your shoes and inserts are two years old, it is probably time to replace them. Rather than being fit for shoes commercially, return for the orthotics.
  • kiela64
    Options
    Aquafit is another low-impact option you might like. Also consider gentle beginner yoga. YouTube has some amazing options. I feel it has helped me become more aware of my muscles and flexibility helped avoid injuries. As someone who’s experienced debilitating injuries in my 20s and 30s, I can tell you it’s an important balance between making fitness progress and setting yourself back with injuries. I also really like the option @concordancia has suggested. You can use a free pedometer app on your phone so it won’t cost you anything.
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I had to start with seated workouts for the obese, injured or elderly off of you tube when I started because walking caused too much pain. I gradually transitioned to short standing workouts and walking more. Do what you can right now and gradually increase time or intensity.
    If you are injured heal up. If you can try pool exercises that might be good.
    When I could walk I got a pedometer and tracked for a week to see where I was and then set a goal of increasing my steps by 1,000-2,000. When I could do the new amount fairly easily I added more. I went from under 2,000 steps to 3,000 to 5,000 to 7,000 to 8,000 but it was over many months.

Thank you both!

Unfortunately the aquafit at my gym says it is only for seniors, and only through joining the "active aging club" (paid additional membership) or it's something I would join. I have heard good things about it as low-impact, and I think a group fitness class might be a nice change from doing things alone.

I have however been doing some yoga classes. Although with my injury I missed a week, it's been going well. Maybe it's something I could do on my own too. I tend to forget the things she has us do in class, so just trying to copy things at home doesn't go well. The yoga videos I've seen on YouTube are much too advanced for me - even those marked as "beginner." I had tried Yoga With Adrienne about a year ago and found I couldn't keep up with her videos, and I don't know enough to properly modify things on my own.

I found an app called Walkmeter by doing a quick google search on some of the helpful walking apps, so thank you! I do have steps tracked already on my phone, and I also have a fitness tracker that you wear on your wrist, but I find it annoying and don't wear it all the time (and the band and clip break super easily, I've already replaced them twice). And for logging to MFP, and for my physio recommendations, time/speed is more useful to me than overall daily steps.

:) Thank you for all this great helpful advice!
  • ghostband
    ghostband Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend and I both sort of ran into the same problem basically twice last year. Once while trying to walk the dogs an hour every night, and a few months later trying to jog every night to better health. Both times ending with minor injuries. Retrospect it was not giving our bodies a day or two between to recover, and thinking we 100% had to go every night. I don't know if that's the same sort of situation, but if you've been trying to push further, make sure you give your body a day or two to catch up.

Once your leg is doing better, you may be able to find other simple leg exercises you can do at home that may help strengthen those muscles. Things like leg raises, calf raises may help?
    https://www.braceability.com/blog/exercises-for-overweight-knee-pain/
    It's all geared towards knee pain, but all low intensity things that may be a good starting place. And best of all doesn't really require any equipment, unless you want to get a mat.

Or you're open to it, you could try working other parts of your body while you heal. Grab a couple of soup cans and you can treat them like improvised dumbbells. (There's lots of videos if you google soup can exercises). It's not going to stress your legs more, it will give you more activity to do, and give you an idea if its something you might enjoy without having to buy the equipment off the hop.

Personally, I've found weights have stuck better for me. I've just been using dumbbells at home, and the change in my body has been easier to see and feel, which in turn is helping keep me motivated. I also had someone point out how much extra stress was on my knees from my spare tire while trying to jog, so putting the work in a way that minimized it going straight to my knees has helped a lot. Even things leg exercises like squats I've found to be easier on my joints than long walks.

Hopefully I'm not too far off the mark, but I know that feeling of being bit by the thing that was supposed to be helping you.
  • kiela64
    Options
    ghostband wrote: »
    My girlfriend and I both sort of ran into the same problem basically twice last year. Once while trying to walk the dogs an hour every night, and a few months later trying to jog every night to better health. Both times ending with minor injuries. Retrospect it was not giving our bodies a day or two between to recover, and thinking we 100% had to go every night. I don't know if that's the same sort of situation, but if you've been trying to push further, make sure you give your body a day or two to catch up.

Once your leg is doing better, you may be able to find other simple leg exercises you can do at home that may help strengthen those muscles. Things like leg raises, calf raises may help?
    https://www.braceability.com/blog/exercises-for-overweight-knee-pain/
    It's all geared towards knee pain, but all low intensity things that may be a good starting place. And best of all doesn't really require any equipment, unless you want to get a mat.

Or you're open to it, you could try working other parts of your body while you heal. Grab a couple of soup cans and you can treat them like improvised dumbbells. (There's lots of videos if you google soup can exercises). It's not going to stress your legs more, it will give you more activity to do, and give you an idea if its something you might enjoy without having to buy the equipment off the hop.

Personally, I've found weights have stuck better for me. I've just been using dumbbells at home, and the change in my body has been easier to see and feel, which in turn is helping keep me motivated. I also had someone point out how much extra stress was on my knees from my spare tire while trying to jog, so putting the work in a way that minimized it going straight to my knees has helped a lot. Even things leg exercises like squats I've found to be easier on my joints than long walks.

Hopefully I'm not too far off the mark, but I know that feeling of being bit by the thing that was supposed to be helping you.

Thank you!

Yes, this is very helpful. I've saved that link, and I'm going to poke through it. I've definitely experienced knee pain in the past, and avoiding it is always a good plan.

Also to update: apparently there are definitely foot issues, and contacting people for orthotics is now on my list for the next few weeks. Along with swimming.