What are your goals?

Options
2»

Replies

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    My goals don't really have "ends" they are more like (for lack of a better term) journeys:

1) To be racing fit, not get tired in my races, have the endurance to race the classes I want, and to be strong enough to manage the bike as my pace increases without bad side effects (such as arm pump). This is a moving target since as I get faster, the demands get higher.

2) To get my black sash in my martial art, and continue on from there, but that's the first goal on that one.

3) Make activity a part of my life again. From ~2008- early 2016 I was not very active, lost all fitness, and put on the weight. Been making activity and working out a part of my life again (injury made 2017 tough, but have been back at it since).

4) As a result of 1-3, I'd sure like to get "my" body back - primarily, lose the excess fat. I have come to be less concerned with the number on the scale, but I'd like to be able to see my muscle definition more and not have the large-ish love handles hanging around. Slowly, ever so slowly losing it, but every time I try to cut back too steeply I start getting the hangries, so about 0.2-0.5/week seems to be about the max without my workouts or sanity suffering. Sloooooow road that one, but it's one I can maintain.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 summed it up perfectly. I’m 35 and already thinking this way - too much time spent on computers is leading many of my close friends into obesity, diabetes, and similar issues; most are already suffering from knee or ankle injuries likely as a direct result of their very sedentary lifestyles. It’s downright scary to think about the long term implications here.

Otherwise, my goal is to continue to try new activities and foods on my journey to a healthier me. I heard a great podcast that says nuance is the key to grit and that really resonated with me. I want my healthy lifestyle to always feel new and exciting, so I will continue to try new things to keep it that way - latest adventures include buying a row machine (loving it so far) and signing up for an obstacle course race. I’ve also tried a jump rope class and a kick boxing class this year... going to try swim lessons soon to improve my efficiency in the pool.
  • HollyJean2013
    HollyJean2013 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm not usually a goal-oriented person, but more an opportunities-oriented one.

That said, I guess I do have one overarching health and fitness goal in maintenance: To stay as strong and active as feasible in a context of good life balance (health, social, creative, intellectual, etc.) so that I can delay a permanent move to assisted living for as long as possible.

I'm 62. I aspire to a long, independent active life, followed by a short, sharp decline - something I've seen among older active friends - rather than a decades-long painful slide into dependence, disability, and ill health. I know I don't have full control, but feel like I can improve my odds.

I'm sorry if that's a downer. To me, at this age, it's not. I see many people around me of my age - dear friends in some cases - who've made and are making life choices that are having very negative consequences for them right now. I'm interested in controlling or influencing the factors I can, to avoid that.

You are amazing and definitely not a downer! You are an inspiration ❤
  • HollyJean2013
    Options
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I'm working hard to stay where I am. I'm so happy with my routine, actitivies and with the way I look and feel.

I am planning on trying new things such a trampoline class and taking more advanced pole fitness classes.

Definitely some fun new ideas✋ That's awesome!
  • HollyJean2013
    Options
    My goal is to reach retirement in good shape to enjoy life. I turn 60 later this year. I just took up SUP paddling and really enjoying that; starting to have some goals related to that.

Wow that's awesome and very inspiring! You will definitely enjoy retirement
  • HollyJean2013
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Short term: 8K race 5/19 (charity run I do every year, would like to PR if I can)

Next 2-3 months: working of fat loss after bulking over winter.

Long term: I turn 50 in 4 months and is a turning point for me . After celebrating I might bulk again or continue recomp, either way, keep on working on fitness and lifting, I am enjoying my program now, so we'll see what progress I make before then.

Boss✋ You go girl!!
  • HollyJean2013
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    My goal is to get a little slimmer but STAY that way this time. I also have gone through a pretty intense transformation and want to do a photo shoot this summer. I'm turning 33 next year so I'd really like to have it done know before I add some more wrinkles.

Awesome!! Enjoy that photoshoot
  • HollyJean2013
    Options
    gilgongo2 wrote: »
    I'm 52 and my goal is to delay the process of atrophy that comes with old age. I've never been a sporty person until recently, so lifting weights and managing my diet is new to me. But I don't want to be complaining that I can't walk up stairs or go on a cycling holiday when I'm 65. Need to be fit to enjoy my retirement!

Short term goal (which is why I'm using MFP) is to get down to 15% body fat. After four months, I'm on track for that by September I hope! Then I plan to go into a calorie surplus, keep lifting heavy and and get up to 20%, then cut back down again.

B)

You will get there!! Sounds like you have a good plan✋
  • HollyJean2013
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Nutrition goal: stay in range (118-122) and stick to a whole food plant based diet.

Fitness goal: walk, run, lift and pilates — each a few times a week. Get stronger and run faster.

Mental goal: gain the confidence and skills to stop logging each morsel by the end of the year.

Running is amazing ❤ You will get there with those goals I'm sure.
  • HollyJean2013
    Options
    andreaen wrote: »
    I am trying to gain weight and build some muscle. I am very much on track having gained around 12 lbs already, but still not ready to cut down just yet. Another goal is to show other women and ed-survivors that it is possible to gain weight without getting fat. I want people to stop being so scared of the scale and to learn that food is not bad.

Amen✋ You go girl!
  • HollyJean2013
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    My short term goal is a charity bike ride in aid of the Royal Marsden cancer hospital that has cared for my father-in-law through three bouts of cancer in three years. He is currently in remission and wouldn't be here without the first class treatment that they have provided.
    It's a 92 mile ride and my training is going well, did 72 miles at a decent pace today. Three weeks to go and fingers are already crossed that the weather on the day is kind.

Long term goal is to have as many healthy, fit and fun years as possible and to spend my children's inheritance. ;)

Amazing!! So happy to hear he has had such great care. He's definitely a fighter.

A 92 mile ride is extreme and hard work for sure✋

Lol
  • HollyJean2013
    Options
    My goals don't really have "ends" they are more like (for lack of a better term) journeys:

1) To be racing fit, not get tired in my races, have the endurance to race the classes I want, and to be strong enough to manage the bike as my pace increases without bad side effects (such as arm pump). This is a moving target since as I get faster, the demands get higher.

2) To get my black sash in my martial art, and continue on from there, but that's the first goal on that one.

3) Make activity a part of my life again. From ~2008- early 2016 I was not very active, lost all fitness, and put on the weight. Been making activity and working out a part of my life again (injury made 2017 tough, but have been back at it since).

4) As a result of 1-3, I'd sure like to get "my" body back - primarily, lose the excess fat. I have come to be less concerned with the number on the scale, but I'd like to be able to see my muscle definition more and not have the large-ish love handles hanging around. Slowly, ever so slowly losing it, but every time I try to cut back too steeply I start getting the hangries, so about 0.2-0.5/week seems to be about the max without my workouts or sanity suffering. Sloooooow road that one, but it's one I can maintain.

Boss✋ You will get there for sure!
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My new goal is to gain 2 or 3lbs healthily, continue with excersise routines and up calories to 1600 and see what happens.