~Starting the Keto Diet~

Options
Good morning FitFam.

I am starting to incorporate the Keto Diet into my meal plans today to change things up and see how the lifestyle works for me.

I am looking for motivational friends and support so please add me and hopefully we can figure this out together.

Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That's great. I've been in Ketosis for 15 days now.
    Just make sure that you give it enough time to be fat adapted. Cause the first couple days/weeks can be rough. Luckily I was doing Leangains for 3 months prior.
  • Gatorwsc
    Gatorwsc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Right there with you Katiebug. I am starting Keto today and looking for support.
  • pwsarge
    pwsarge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started a few weeks ago and don't seem to be losing much weight please help me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    pwsarge wrote: »
    I started a few weeks ago and don't seem to be losing much weight please help me.

What does "not much weight" mean? How much are you actually losing?

Are you hitting a specific calorie goal or just doing keto?
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    pwsarge wrote: »

Because you’re most likely not in a caloric deficit. Energy in vs energy out
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    These groups are a great source for support and information:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Good luck!
    That's great. I've been in Ketosis for 15 days now.
    Just make sure that you give it enough time to be fat adapted. Cause the first couple days/weeks can be rough. Luckily I was doing Leangains for 3 months prior.

For many, it is rough because people are not replacing the sodium that they have lost with water weight. Most need 2 or more teaspoons of salt a day to replace lost electrolytes. Adding salt can prevent the so called keto flu.
  • RagingThespian
    RagingThespian Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started Keto on the 13th and have lost 5 lbs (yeah yeah, water weight) but more significantly my blood sugar levels are now in the normal range. I am Type II diabetic and have been struggling lately with levels of 10-11 mmol. The last couple days have seen my blood sugar range from 4.8 to 5.4. I need to add a bit more carbs into my diet as I have been overdoing it, I think. I have been only eating 12-18 grams per day. I think the first day I was at 22 carbs. From what I've read I should aim for 20-30 carbs per day for weight loss.
  • gentlelambslave
    gentlelambslave Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    hey can anyone help me i want to know more about keto diet everything i read is so confusing would like a brake down a simple explanation something i can follow and not have to count for when i first start and i always think wrong.
  • Kirstyjem
    Kirstyjem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, been on Keto for a couple of weeks and doing well for the most part. Still trying to work things out! Anyone feel free to add me :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    hey can anyone help me i want to know more about keto diet everything i read is so confusing would like a brake down a simple explanation something i can follow and not have to count for when i first start and i always think wrong.
    To lose weight, you just have to eat less. Keto is one way to facilitate eating less, calorie counting is another. None of them create weightloss unless you eat less, consistently, for real and for a long time. There are other methods that can be effective, for instance: cut out snacks if you snack, and stick to meals; cook more at home if you eat out a lot; serve yoursef just once; use smaller plates; meal replacements; paleo, etc. But these strategies only work if they really make you eat less, consistently, for real and for a long time. If you accept that you must, can and will eat less, any method can work. If you don't accept it, no method will work.
  • Mardy1968
    Mardy1968 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I typically don’t add to these forums, just see what everyone else is doing and troll for info. BUT I love the Keto lifestyle. I don’t treat it like a diet but more of a lifestyle change. I have never dieted before but this is the easiest thing I have ever done. Some quick stats. Starting weight-95kg (Nov 2017) present weight 85.5kg. Down 8.3% body fat. Starting body fat % was 30.4 now 22.1%. The last 2 months have been tricky to train due to life priorities BUT my commitment to Keto was strong.

With the high fats I am never hungry. I eat like a champion and always under my calorie target (2750 calories).

Do the research, make a plan and stick with it. I have had a couple of cheat meals but next day straight back on it. There are a couple of you tube channels I watch regular. Not sure if I can post these details. If there is a request I will post these.

Have a great day
    Mardy.J
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Mardy1968 wrote: »
    Hey everyone. I typically don’t add to these forums, just see what everyone else is doing and troll for info. BUT I love the Keto lifestyle. I don’t treat it like a diet but more of a lifestyle change. I have never dieted before but this is the easiest thing I have ever done. Some quick stats. Starting weight-95kg (Nov 2017) present weight 85.5kg. Down 8.3% body fat. Starting body fat % was 30.4 now 22.1%. The last 2 months have been tricky to train due to life priorities BUT my commitment to Keto was strong.

With the high fats I am never hungry. I eat like a champion and always under my calorie target (2750 calories).

Do the research, make a plan and stick with it. I have had a couple of cheat meals but next day straight back on it. There are a couple of you tube channels I watch regular. Not sure if I can post these details. If there is a request I will post these.

Have a great day
    Mardy.J
    Losing weight isn't particularly difficult when you eat well. At 2750 calories you should be able to fit in lots of great food, and it doesn't ecessarily have to be extremely low carb.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Losing weight isn't particularly difficult when you eat well. At 2750 calories you should be able to fit in lots of great food, and it doesn't necessarily have to be extremely low carb.

I'm with you here.
    Keto works just like any other deficit diet, with the kick of being high on animal protein, which oxidizes faster in the body, hence the initial burst of water weight loss.

Calorie Deficit and Weight Loss can be achieved without sacrificing the quality of your nutrition.

I'm not a fan of Keto and I would recommend looking at all of the options and risks before jumping in.

• Smoore29334
    Smoore29334 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I’ve been trying two ideas out at the same time for the last three weeks. Low Carb and Intermittent Fasting; eating from noon to 8pm then only water for the next 16 hours. It seems to be working as I’m down 16.8 pounds. I’ve found two things have helped me on my journey. First is, I’m totally honest with my entries into MyFitnessPal. Only then can I truly assess what I need to change. I started to understand where the sources of carbs were coming from and could then evaluate if they were really worth it. Second is, I bought a Weight Gurus Bluetooth Scale. I weigh every morning and it syncs with my phone and MyFitnessPal. No hiding, no skipping days, no fudging the numbers, just more pure honesty. I have attached my weight progress chart for the last three weeks. If you'll notice, on the 14th I ate about 3/4 of a large pizza, and it took 5 days to recover from that on the scale. It made me realize that 30 minutes of pleasure wasn’t worth it. Had I only been weighing on Saturday mornings, like I used to, I would have only seen a 1 pound weight loss for the week, been disappointed, and not necessarily realized it could be pinned on the pizza. I've seen over these three weeks that bumps in the road do happen, but keep at it and the results will follow.
    rzbylerhh2p2.jpg