What Am I Missing?

Options
kegan5
kegan5 Posts: 45 Member
edited April 2018 in Food and Nutrition
Hello! I like many have been trying to shift my belly for a while. I think (?) I eat quite healthy but clearly, there is something missing.

To give a brief history, I was 160 lb and looked big boned with a belly.
I started doing an all-body kick-boxing class about 2 and a half months ago. I do 4 -5 days a week and burn on average 370 calories.

Here's a list of the foods I eat, I only eat one of the meals on each line not everything listed a day :).

Breakfast
Egg and Banana Pancakes (2 Large Eggs + 1 Medium Banana) or
Bran Flakes with Almond Milk or
Whole Wheat Waffle with 3 tbsp Honey

Lunch
Whole Wheat Crackers x 10 + Hummus
Wholewheat Pasta (roughly 2 cups) + Carrots, Brocolli, Cauliflower (1 Cup) + Alfredo Sauce
2 Cups Mixed Veggies + 1 x Smart Life vegetarian hot dog or 4 meatless meatballs

Dinner
Wholewheat Pasta (roughly 2 cups) + Carrots, Brocolli, Cauliflower (1 Cup) + Alfredo Sauce
2 Cups Mixed Veggies + 1 x Smart Life vegetarian hot dog or 4 meatless meatballs
Wholewheat Wrap + Mixed Veggies + 1 x Smart Life vegetarian hot dog or 4 meatless meatballs
Kale/Spinach Mix + 1 x Smart Life vegetarian hot dog or 4 meatless meatballs + Feta Cheese Crumble

Snacks
Whole Wheat Waffle with 3 tbsp Honey
Whole Wheat Crackers x 10 + Hummus

The Honest Bit
I do quite well sticking to the meals listed above however, I without fail wake up at 3am every night hungry and end up snacking on something. Usually one of the Snacks, sometimes it goes as far as the wholewheat wrap. I don't buy chocolate but if there's any in the house I tend to go for that first for a quick fix, the chocolate has been maybe 15 times since I started 2.5 months ago.

I drink Kombucha occasionally, 2 days a week.

I would love your thoughts on where I'm going wrong. I know the chocolate, 3 am eating of course is a huge factor but I need to fix that hunger factor and I'm obviously missing something.

Oh and I'm vegetarian :)

Edit: I forgot to say. I have changed shape and I am not bulky anymore however I still have about 2 inches of belly/hips fat.

Replies

• kegan5
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Looking at the days I've tracked the calories range anywhere between 900 and 1300.

I'm 5'3" - 157lb - Female

I should say I was 160 lb when I started and have clearly 'shrunk'. So assume I've switched fat for muscle.
  • kegan5
    Options
    I measure solid foods with a cup measurer, I don't weigh them so there will definitely be a discrepancy.

However since I still feel hungry there is surely something I'm missing despite the calorie count?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    kegan5 wrote: »
    I measure solid foods with a cup measurer, I don't weigh them so there will definitely be a discrepancy.

However since I still feel hungry there is surely something I'm missing despite the calorie count?

I would suggest a scale, for the solids to start.

Many people find higher protein and fiber diets help keep them full longer. That said, I get hungry even when bulking eating 3000 cals. being hungry does not necessarily mean you need to eat more. But if you are uncomforatbly hungry, then lower your weekly weight loss goal to get a bit more food/cals.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you lost in what timeframe?
  • kegan5
    Options
    Eric - Thank you, I'll definitely get a scale :)

Tavistock - I lost 3lb but my body shape changed a lot, I went from a large flabby belly to now a 2 inch of fat in the lower tummy area.
  • MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just want to chime in that yes you need a food scale,at least for a little while (just to train the eye). Also, being hungry doesn't mean you necessarily need to increase calories. Hunger varies depending on hormones, types of food eaten, even mental state. It was thinking I was hungry all the time that led to me weighing over 300 lbs. Understanding and managing that hunger is what led to the 140 lb loss.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You're missing a food scale.
    And more protein and fat by the sound of it if you are waking up in the middle of the night hungry.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I think you're eating more than 1300 calories a day. I'd add more protein as a substitute for pancakes and waffles. It sounds like your body doesn't find that food filling enough, hence waking up hungry. It's just as fast to scramble some eggs (they're about 74 calories each) and add in half to one ounce of grated cheese, maybe even put in some steamed broccoli. That kind of breakfast definitely gets me through to lunch, and when I haven't had this meal early in the day, I might eat it for dinner instead. A little snack might be a few almonds and half an avocado, or some cottage cheese with salsa on top, or an apple. Be sure to drink plenty of water.

Are you logging your exercise? Be sure to do so, and eat back about half of the calories you've earned. You need to eat it to fuel your workouts.
  • kegan5
    Options
    Thank you, I'm going to put all of your advice into play and see where that takes me. Also, I've been better at tracking my calories these past few days and noticed I'm coming up to around 1100 - 1200 calories Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner but then still waking up in the night and snacking which can then take me up to 1300 - 1500.

12BlueAurora - Yes I always track my exercise :)
  • justjara123
    justjara123 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone said, incorporate more protein and healthy fats into your diet!

Also, it might just take a little more patience as your stomach might be where you body has the hardest time losing fat.

You might also bloat easily or have a food allergy that causes bloating so it gives your tummy the appearance that it’s bigger than it is. (I’m a huge bloater and had to make specific adjustments)
  • kegan5
    edited April 2018
    Options
    JustJara - Thank you :) I have switched out some of the carb items and replaced with protein and healthy fats, I've only done it for a few days but already feel better and more satisfied so hoping this will keep things into gear.

And yes, I definitely bloat! My stomach is almost always flatter in the morning than it is in the evening.

My only question now would be, I've switched up the diet and my calorie intake would be between 1280 and 1440 if I'm still hungry and go for another protein shake.

I burn at least 370 calories 4-5 days a week (tracked with a heart monitor). With those numbers in mind, am I at least on track to lose something... from somewhere :) ?
  • staraly
    staraly Posts: 54 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    As already pointed out, you are eating a lot of carbs and not enough protein. One consequence of carb overloading can be the production of too much of the neurotransmitter serotonin as a by-product of breaking down carbs. Too much serotonin can cause early waking and inability to stay asleep. It is also involved in stress eating to make yourself feel better, which can lead to obesity. If you follow the advice in above replies about weighing food and getting your macros into more healthy ratios, your sleep should gradually improve. Perhaps some non-food related strategies for what to do when you wake could help break the pattern too, e.g. a warm shower, read something difficult or boring, don't use any electronic screens, don't stress about being awake, meditate etc.
    Almost forgot; a lot of wheat can increase estrogen levels which can also cause hunger and hard-to-budge fat deposits in certain areas of the body. It feels harder than other fat and can appear on the upper tummy and at the base of the neck (buffalo hump) among other places.
  • kegan5
    Options
    Staraly, thank you :)