Counting Calories

Options
I had gastric bypass surgery in 2004, lost about 96 pounds and have gained back 60. I still have a problem eating some foods, i.e. pasta, rice, most meats.....there are times that I have to make myself throw up because what I have eaten is not sitting right. And then once I empty my stomach, I am hungry again. How do I count the calories for a meal that I ate and have to "undo" later on?

Replies

• PaulaJKelly
    Options
    I would like to suggest that you not eat things that you have to undo later on. That sounds very harsh on your body, your teeth, your well-being. Did the people who did the gastric bypass surgery have you work with a nutritionist to help create a healthy eating program for you? If not, that may be where you need to start. Finding out what you can eat, how much you can eat, how often you should eat, drink water, etc. I am just concerned for you but don't really know the answers to those questions. Good luck on your getting healthy journey.
  • Kamille84
    Options
    This is VERY unhealthy!! Please make an appt. with your Dr. and talk to him about this.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't uncount because calories count the minute they hit your mouth. Read up on bulimia.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    You need to see a nutritionist. You can't keep going on like this. You sound like there is more going on besides food.
  • swtkaylasmommy
    Options
    i agree you need to get a handle on the "undoing" and really work on having a healthy intake. how many calories do you get a day? Also have you tried finding alternatives for your trigger foods?
  • pacooper54
    Options
    It doesn't happen often....MAYBE once a month....and I never know what will trigger it.....it could even be a salad or my veggies. Since beginning this program I have, for the most part, been under or very close to my calorie intake goal. I really haven't talked with my doctor regarding this, but next visit I will be sure to address it with her. Thanks for all the advice! I am so glad to be a part of MFP!!!