Keto and Intermittent Fasting

Options
So starting today ive been doing keto and ive been doing Intermittent fasting for a while now. I usually broke my fast with a small orange or some light berries but in keto you cant have those. So i was wondering how i could break my fast to achieve ketosis faster. In other words, i dont know the best way to break a fast in a keto diet

Replies

• Grasschopper
    Grasschopper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Which fasting regime are you doing? And have you found Thomas DeLauer on YouTube? If not look him up he along with Dr Berg are big IF and Keto guys with TONS of content on the subjects.

If your goal is weight loss I believe the common wisdom is that you want to break you fast with something easily digestible and perhaps with a bit of fat in it. If you're a coffee drinker there's a great (in my opinion) bulletproof coffee recipe on Thomas's feed. Tastes so good, I was highly skeptical as I was a BIG time user of sweetened creamers but it's really good.

10oz black coffee
    1 tbsp MCT oil
    1 tsp ghee
    1/4 tsp of Himalayan pink salt
    3-4 drops of liquid Stevia extract
    OPTIONAL - 1/2 tablespoon of cacao (but add it...so good)

Blend that all together. That recipe is from his video "Ketogenic Coffee Recipe - World's Best Tasting Zero Sugar Coffee - High In Healthy Fats" if you want to look it up.

I personally don't do keto but I've been doing IF for a couple of months now, started with 16:8 but I'm not pushing it to 20 hours. If you told me 6 months ago I could skip breakfast and lunch and not eat until 3:00p-4:00p I would have laughed in your face but it really only took about 2-4 days to adapt to 16:8 and upping that to 19-20 hours fasting was sort of a "huh I wonder if I can go longer" thing. IF really has helped me control my calorie intake...in fact most days I'm sitting there with an hour left in my feeding window wondering how I'm going to eat another 900 or so calories.
  • SugarAndSugar
    SugarAndSugar Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Which fasting regime are you doing? And have you found Thomas DeLauer on YouTube? If not look him up he along with Dr Berg are big IF and Keto guys with TONS of content on the subjects.

If your goal is weight loss I believe the common wisdom is that you want to break you fast with something easily digestible and perhaps with a bit of fat in it. If you're a coffee drinker there's a great (in my opinion) bulletproof coffee recipe on Thomas's feed. Tastes so good, I was highly skeptical as I was a BIG time user of sweetened creamers but it's really good.

10oz black coffee
    1 tbsp MCT oil
    1 tsp ghee

Blend that all together. That recipe is from his video "Ketogenic Coffee Recipe - World's Best Tasting Zero Sugar Coffee - High In Healthy Fats" if you want to look it up.

I personally don't do keto but I've been doing IF for a couple of months now, started with 16:8 but I'm not pushing it to 20 hours. If you told me 6 months ago I could skip breakfast and lunch and not eat until 3:00p-4:00p I would have laughed in your face but it really only took about 2-4 days to adapt to 16:8 and upping that to 19-20 hours fasting was sort of a "huh I wonder if I can go longer" thing. IF really has helped me control my calorie intake...in fact most days I'm sitting there with an hour left in my feeding window wondering how I'm going to eat another 900 or so calories.

Ive done both and also done Brandon Carter
  • SugarAndSugar
    Options

10oz black coffee
    1 tbsp MCT oil
    1 tsp ghee

And I don't drink coffee so um any alternative? Would 2 chicken tenderloins, some nuts and lettuce do? I know theres more protein than fat but i heard too much fat to break a fast is bad so overall i dont know what to do
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 356 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Break the fast with a couple of hard-boiled eggs? That has fat and protein and is a great easy snack. That or some string cheese or pistachios?

• SugarAndSugar
    Options
    Break the fast with a couple of hard-boiled eggs? That has fat and protein and is a great easy snack. That or some string cheese or pistachios?

Aighty and how many pistachios? And since the yolk has carbs should i do egg whites?
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The yolk only has less than a carb. So it’s fine. You can also break he fast it’s apple cider vinegar. Followed by a cup of beef bone broth. Low cal to get you going. I typically will eat first real meal about a half to an hour after that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Honestly, you can break your fast with anything that will keep you between 20 - 50g of carbohydrates a day, including some low GI berries. Ketosis isn't about what you have for one meal or the next, it's about an overall depleted state of carbohydrates forcing your body to use Ketones as a fuel source for your brain.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'm on 50g Keto and I have 100g full fat Greek yogurt and 50g berries, it comes to about 8g carbs. I usually have it around 10.30 at my desk.

Didn't you decide not to do keto in the end?

Edit: Just seen the dates and yes, you did. Yogurt and berries are still yummy though.