Diet When Exercising - Tips please

Options
Hi all,

Just joined up to the local David Lloyd Club and have my induction tonight. I'm keen to try the tennis and a few of the classes, as well as the gym equipment before I settle into a fixed routine.

My question to you guys is re the best diet to follow when working out. I.e, the days we go to the gym/classes before starting work at 8.30am, is it okay to work out on an empty stomach? On the days we go after work, should we go straight from work and have dinner afterwards or have something before we go? What kind of food is best to eat before/after workouts?

My ultimate aim is to lose weight/body fat and tone up along the way if that makes any difference.

thanks in advance :)

Lyns x

Replies

• 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cup of coffee in the morning and maybe a piece of toast before an early morning workout. If I'm doing cardio, I don't like having much in my stomach. I drink water before and during. For workouts after work, I'll usually drink a protein shake (there are a lot on the market you can pack into your gym bag) because I need something to fuel my exercise but don't want that "I just ate too much" feeling. Also, I find that the exercise itself acts as a temporary appetite suppressant so I'm not starving by the time I get home. I just eat normally afterwards.
  • ahilton1992
    ahilton1992 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    A lot if it just depends on what your goals are. Working out on an empty stomach in the morning will be good for fat loss, but you might find your energy lacking.

In my opinion, if you're just starting out eat a well balanced meal plan. If you're just starting out you're going to see results as long as your calories/macros are in check. then you just go from there as you find out what works best for your body and what you react to the best.

Meal timing can be a great tool, but I do feel it is a little more advanced and works best when you have EXACT goals in mind.. just my opinion.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The best diet is the one you can stick with. Some people are fine working out fasted, others feel uncomfortable. Some people feel sick if they exercise immediately after eating. Do what works for you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I did not see any loss in stamina when I waited to eat until after my workout. I do start with a full glass of water.

You will have to start worrying about meal timing when you are putting out vigorous exercise in one go that is greater than two hours in length (half marathon and up). Otherwise keep your daily calorie goal and eat some of the exercise calories back. At any time.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Meal timing around general exercise is pretty irrelevant and would be personal preference.

Agreed. Eat whenever works best for you, such that you feel the best during workouts, aren't overly hungry between meals, and helps you stick to your overall diet in general.

It may take some trial and error to figure out what does or doesn't work for you... but there's no set "right" answer.
  • triciale555
    triciale555 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think it’s different for everyone. My husband prefers not to eat beforehand and waits to eat (yes, it is OK to not eat beforehand) I cannot do that. If I do not eat beforehand I get very light headed and need to quit early. Listen to what your body prefers and go with it.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I workout during my lunch hour and eat my lunch after wards. On the days that I work out after work I workout and then eat. It just keeps me from heaving during my workouts. But it's a personal preference and there is not magic food, just eat less than what you burn.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I workout fasted first thing in the AM. I learned that if I eat first I will end up tossing my breakfast back up if I go at it too hard, so I'd have to wait hours for my food to digest and as the lady says, "Ain't nobody got time for that!". :)

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    This will mostly depend on your goals.

Meal timing is going to be heavily dependent on your schedule and what does or does not work for you.

My typical M-F looks like this:
    ~4:30am up and at the gym around 5
    Workout from 5-7
    Home, breakfast/protein shake, prep for work
    Then my meals are pretty normal, often with an afternoon snack as I get pretty hungry around 2-3pm most days.
    Dinner is made as soon as I get home, eat, relax a bit then off to bed for my early mornings (I need my 8-9 hours/night).

I choose morning workouts because otherwise I am WAY to likely to skip them! Plus, then no matter how sideways my day goes, at least that is done and I can relax at night and not feel guilty.

I cannot eat first thing on getting up (tummy no likey) so I find a BCAA added to my water seems to help me get through my workout - from my research about the only thing they are good for, but they do seem to help when doing a "fasted" workout.

As for the rest of my eating, my fitness is still priority #1, so my deficit is small and so are my losses, but still a steady (albeit slow) downward trend. I've tried cutting back a bit more, but my workouts and energy seem to suffer pretty quickly, so I'm resigned to slow losses.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    You'll have to see what works best for you with each type of workout.

I can do cardio without eating beforehand until the cows come home, but lifting? I need food in my stomach. I've found this out through trial and error.

Unfortunately, this isn't a question for which there is a pat answer, except that it's okay to eat or not eat right before exercise according to whatever works best for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Personal preference
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Lyns180 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just joined up to the local David Lloyd Club and have my induction tonight. I'm keen to try the tennis and a few of the classes, as well as the gym equipment before I settle into a fixed routine.

My question to you guys is re the best diet to follow when working out. I.e, the days we go to the gym/classes before starting work at 8.30am, is it okay to work out on an empty stomach? On the days we go after work, should we go straight from work and have dinner afterwards or have something before we go? What kind of food is best to eat before/after workouts?

My ultimate aim is to lose weight/body fat and tone up along the way if that makes any difference.

thanks in advance :)

Lyns x

The my fitnesspal blog has a great article on this very topic.

Personally, I don’t like to work out on a full stomach. If I eat before my morning workout, it is generally a few almonds and a couple of orange slices. Afterwards, I’ll have half a cup of milk within 30 minutes and while preparing my breakfast (oatmeal) and going through my morning routine.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a good overall balanced diet day to day the rest doesn't matter too much. Meal timing is like 5% of the puzzle if you really want to push it. For most of us it doesn't really matter at all.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Nutrient-Timing.png
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its going to be a personal thing. Meal timing doesn't matter. Personally I need to eat something small before I work out, usually a poached egg on toast. I need the fuel to power through the workout.
    The main thing if you want to lose weight is taking in less calories than you burn - tracking your meals/snacks on here will help with that.