If you want to burn FAT? This is a good read.

Options
Aerobic or Anaerobic

To lose weight, you have to burn calories at a higher rate than you consume for some time. But the type of calories your body burns is very important: either aerobic or anaerobic calories.

Aerobic calories burn fat as your body breathes in oxygen. Low-intensity activities up to and including walking are mainly fat burning. However, as your body's need for energy becomes greater than your rate of oxygen intake, your body begins burning anaerobic calories.

Anaerobic calories burn glucose by converting a starch stored in your muscles known as glycogen. Since this doesn't require oxygen, anaerobic calories are used in very strenuous activities for short periods.

The accumulation of lactic acid as a by product of anaerobic activity produces a burning sensation in the muscle. This symptom means you are burning glycogen, not fat. You can't feel fat burning!

So it's pretty obvious that in order to lose fat to the maximum, you must concentrate on aerobic activities rather than anaerobic activities. The big question now is which activities are aerobic and which are anaerobic.

The word aerobic literally means 'with oxygen' or 'in the presence of oxygen'. Aerobic exercise is any activity that uses large muscle groups, can be maintained continuously for a long period of time and is rhythmic in nature.

Aerobic activity trains the heart, lungs and cardiovascular system to process and deliver oxygen more quickly and efficiently to every part of the body.

As the heart muscle becomes stronger and more efficient, a larger amount of blood can be pumped with each stroke. Fewer strokes are then required to rapidly transport oxygen to all parts of the body.

An aerobically fit individual can work longer, more vigorously and achieve a quicker recovery at the end of the aerobic session.

Think of aerobic activity as being long in duration yet low in intensity.

Aerobic activities include: brisk walking, biking, jogging, swimming, aerobic classes and cross-country skiing.

Anaerobic activity, on the other hand is short in duration and high in intensity.

Anaerobic activities include: racquetball, downhill skiing, weight lifting, sprinting, softball, soccer and football.

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Hmm what about intervals? For example I do a circuit where I sprint for a minute and then run (recovery) for 2 minutes, then repeat for 20-30 minutes. My heart rate is above 150 the whole time, but for the minute, it's really high...Is that anaerobic or aerobic?
  • funayman
    funayman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    very interesting. thanks for the info
  • kynichol21
    Options
    Bump
  • chynafox
    chynafox Posts: 30
    Options
    This is interesting! But, I think you burn glycogen no matter what. It's all a part of Cellular Respiration that converts glucose into ATP giving us the energy for our muscles to even move at all.

But, I see what you're saying! The immediate and short use of muscles probably creates a huge boost in Cel Resp and then doesn't really get down to much actual fat loss. LOVE IT. Thanks for the post! Something to keep in my mind...
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Hmm what about intervals? For example I do a circuit where I sprint for a minute and then run (recovery) for 2 minutes, then repeat for 20-30 minutes. My heart rate is above 150 the whole time, but for the minute, it's really high...Is that anaerobic or aerobic?

Anything over 70% of your MHR is Anaerobic
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    This is interesting as I am attempting to lose FAT but I totally do not understand this article. Sounds confusing.

My HRM always shows my heart rate at about 168-170 during my runs. I run for 20 mins straight on a 5.2.
  • chynafox
    chynafox Posts: 30
    Options

I think that would definitely fall into the category of aerobic. You're breathing heavier, your heart rate is up, and you're not doing short bursts of energy. Oh, this is getting all scientific! :)
  • kater8er
    Options

Anything over 70% of your MHR is Anaerobic

Right, but for 2/3 of the time, it's not over 70%....And it seems to be very effective for burning fat? I'm confused.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    Thanks for this! I liked the fact that you explained what exercises are which too! :)
  • MayhemModels
    Options
    This is interesting as I am attempting to lose FAT but I totally do not understand this article. Sounds confusing.

My HRM always shows my heart rate at about 168-170 during my runs. I run for 20 mins straight on a 5.2.

Doing lower activities and keeping your heart rate in the aerobic zone burns fat
  • kater8er
    Options
    Never mind, I just did some research of my own and interval training DOES burn fat.
  • AliDarling
    AliDarling Posts: 373
    Options
    thanks for the tips
  • MayhemModels
    Options
    interval training DOES burn fat (I totally agree but it doesn't burn as much as if you were in an aerobic zone the whole time) I just shared this because alot of folks think you have to kill yourself to burn fat and just wanted them to know that you don't have to in order to lose weight and burn fat :)
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    interval training DOES burn fat (I totally agree but it doesn't burn as much as if you were in an aerobic zone the whole time) I just shared this because alot of folks think you have to kill yourself to burn fat and just wanted them to know that you don't have to in order to lose weight and burn fat :)

I guess that is the purpose of your HRM....it clearly tells you when your out of the fat burning mode however, some research says even if you work outside of your fat burning zone (higher then) you are burning more calories. Heck I have no idea......
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    While this is true you should just remember that once the glycogen depots in your muscles are depleted they will need to be replenished.....the body will start to break down your fat depots to replenish the glycogen (and depending on your basis condition put in a little extra in case you should decide to torture yourself again).

A PT once told me that this fat-burning zone was just a way to get people doing anything at all as it would discourage a lot of people from working out to jump straight into anaerobic training patterns. But as soon as you have a certain basic condition you should work out at the highest intensity you can manage for the entire period of time you have available - so if you have short time, you should push yourself to the max and go for at least some anaerobic training, while you should go slower and possibly entirely in the aerobic zone if you intend to workout for several hours.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The line in "My Cousin Vinny" --when Vinny (Joe Pesci) makes his opening statement to the jury -- is appropriate here.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    The line in "My Cousin Vinny" --when Vinny (Joe Pesci) makes his opening statement to the jury -- is appropriate here.

Vinny Gambini: Uh... everything that guy just said is *****... Thank you.
    D.A. Jim Trotter: Objection. Counsel's entire opening statement is argumentative.
    Judge Chamberlain Haller: Sustained. Counselor's entire opening statement... with the exception of "thank you"... will be stricken from the record.

Love that movie!
  • ketrell
    ketrell Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I like it.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Aerobic or Anaerobic

To lose weight, you have to burn calories at a higher rate than you consume for some time. But the type of calories your body burns is very important: either aerobic or anaerobic calories.

Aerobic calories burn fat as your body breathes in oxygen. Low-intensity activities up to and including walking are mainly fat burning. However, as your body's need for energy becomes greater than your rate of oxygen intake, your body begins burning anaerobic calories.

Anaerobic calories burn glucose by converting a starch stored in your muscles known as glycogen. Since this doesn't require oxygen, anaerobic calories are used in very strenuous activities for short periods.

The accumulation of lactic acid as a by product of anaerobic activity produces a burning sensation in the muscle. This symptom means you are burning glycogen, not fat. You can't feel fat burning!

So it's pretty obvious that in order to lose fat to the maximum, you must concentrate on aerobic activities rather than anaerobic activities. The big question now is which activities are aerobic and which are anaerobic.

The word aerobic literally means 'with oxygen' or 'in the presence of oxygen'. Aerobic exercise is any activity that uses large muscle groups, can be maintained continuously for a long period of time and is rhythmic in nature.

Aerobic activity trains the heart, lungs and cardiovascular system to process and deliver oxygen more quickly and efficiently to every part of the body.

As the heart muscle becomes stronger and more efficient, a larger amount of blood can be pumped with each stroke. Fewer strokes are then required to rapidly transport oxygen to all parts of the body.

An aerobically fit individual can work longer, more vigorously and achieve a quicker recovery at the end of the aerobic session.

Think of aerobic activity as being long in duration yet low in intensity.

Aerobic activities include: brisk walking, biking, jogging, swimming, aerobic classes and cross-country skiing.

Anaerobic activity, on the other hand is short in duration and high in intensity.

Anaerobic activities include: racquetball, downhill skiing, weight lifting, sprinting, softball, soccer and football.

I am just confused! Isn't weight lifting supposed to be good for you?