I love how I looked but hated the work

Options
2»

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    You can eat a donut if you fit it into your calories. It's tough to do that without knowing what your calories are. I understand getting fed up with counting, but it seems like just eating the right number of calories without counting isn't working for you.

Can you learn a few tricks to make counting easier? For example, scanning labels, using the location tab to pull up restaurant menus, and adding foods from your recent list? For me at least, logging has gotten to the point where it takes literally moments. It's way easier than not logging, because I know what I'm allowed to eat and don't have to stress about it. I like the way @PAV8888 looks at it, think of counting your calories as a way of figuring out the maximum you can eat!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Losing weight takes work, its not easy but its not easy being overweight either. A well known phrase bandied about is 'losing weight is hard, being overweight is hard' - choose your hard.

Knowing the calories makes it easier to make better choices imo. As has been said, you can have a donut, make it fit into your calories - most of them start off at 200 cals, a lot of calories for something sweet but in 5 mins time you will be hungry again. Sugar makes us usually crave more sugar, that's what I've found anyway,and hence probably why you end up binging.

Even if life is stressful and busy right now you can still be in charge of what goes in your mouth. But you have to want to lose weight/keep it off enough to make the effort.

Hope you can work out a way to lose/maintain your weight that works for you.
  • JoAnna4731
    JoAnna4731 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I really feel for you - being a new mom with additional life circumstance stressors is incredibly difficult (been there, done that). One thing that helped me during that time was to not focus on my weight at all. I just did not have the mental bandwidth to deal with it. Instead, I focused on eating food that would give me energy to deal with the stress, and also prioritized sleep. I did not work out at all. I made little food rules that helped me when I had lost weight years earlier - something green with every meal, lay off the pasta a bit (but don't eliminate it!), egg whites are your friend. I didn't lose weight - I maintained at my pre-pregnancy weight, which was still overweight, but it really didn't matter to me then. Getting through each day with my head on straight was the priority.

There is a season for everything in life. When your kids are very little, your priorities shift, especially if you have more going on than just being a new parent. AND THAT'S OK. You have to figure out what you can live with right now, and if dealing with logging and working out is not part of that, that's fine. There will be consequences (as you are experiencing now), but you can minimize those by just making small mindful choices every day to remain healthy. When you are used to your new normal in a few months, you can start focusing on this aspect of your life again.

• bryonyd4
    bryonyd4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A few things I see posted on here that help me when I feel like throwing in the towel:

If I had a flat tire, would I slash the other three? (One unplanned treat/snack/bite/day over my calorie goal is not a reason to sabotage my goal entirely.)

If I quit now I’ll soon be back where I started. When I started, I desperately wanted to be where I am now. (So true, this is hard work but it’s harder feeling miserable about my body and the way I take care of myself or actively hurt my physical and emotional health.)

What you eat in private, you wear in public. (It’ll show up eventually...)

And finally, remember the example you’re setting for your child. He or she WILL adopt the lifestyle/habits of the adults who raise them. Don’t set them up for a lifelong struggle with their health and body image.

Be strong, I know you can!

After this weekend this was very useful to read to keep me on track thankyou!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    As a mom to a 9-month old, I can sympathize. Between the stress and exhaustion, I often don't have the energy to care about what I'm eating as soon as I get really hungry or go off-track. The healthiest thing for me right now is to focus on maintaining. I also try to remind myself to limit snacking, reach for healthier snacks regardless of their calorie count, and try to be cognizant of portion size. So far this is working for me while greatly reducing my time and effort regarding weight management. The downside is I'm not losing, but I can only deal with so much right now.
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to focus more on my weekly calories rather than daily. YES, I still track daily. But some days, I just don't eat as much as others. The donut may not have fit perfectly into my day today, but I can plan around that the rest of the week to make up for it. It takes a lot of the stress off of me for feeling like I had a "fail". I rely on the app and look at the net of my totals weekly.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I find that I have to find a balance or I go insane. I just have to understand that I’m always going to be a little bigger than I want to be because I don’t want to do what has to be done to be smaller. It’s just an acceptance of things.

Beautifully said.
  • luce_de_luce
    luce_de_luce Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Awesome @bryonyd4 ! I’m glad I could pass along some of the wisdom that’s been shared with me. Good for you
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    cheeri0z wrote: »
    I've regained 6lbs in the last 2 months and before that I lost over 30lbs through mfp. I looked and felt greattt

I'm fed up counting calories, I'm stressed ( single mom to a 1 year old and living at home again ) and I'm surrounded by tempting foods and snacks.

once I eat a donut or a croissant I give up for the rest of the day and binge eat.

help :'(

If you have moved back in with your parents, wouldn't that free you up to go to the gym or go for a walk/run? Maybe you could schedule it in with them that you have 3 evenings a week to exercise, if you know a 30min run burns X amount of calories, then you know you can eat that back in tempting foods, and eat the way you were before you moved back in.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    JoAnna4731 wrote: »
    I really feel for you - being a new mom with additional life circumstance stressors is incredibly difficult (been there, done that). One thing that helped me during that time was to not focus on my weight at all. I just did not have the mental bandwidth to deal with it. Instead, I focused on eating food that would give me energy to deal with the stress, and also prioritized sleep. I did not work out at all. I made little food rules that helped me when I had lost weight years earlier - something green with every meal, lay off the pasta a bit (but don't eliminate it!), egg whites are your friend. I didn't lose weight - I maintained at my pre-pregnancy weight, which was still overweight, but it really didn't matter to me then. Getting through each day with my head on straight was the priority.

There is a season for everything in life. When your kids are very little, your priorities shift, especially if you have more going on than just being a new parent. AND THAT'S OK. You have to figure out what you can live with right now, and if dealing with logging and working out is not part of that, that's fine. There will be consequences (as you are experiencing now), but you can minimize those by just making small mindful choices every day to remain healthy. When you are used to your new normal in a few months, you can start focusing on this aspect of your life again.

I totally agree regarding having the mental bandwidth. I think being in the right place mentally is crucial. Sometimes, we just have to strive to survive. That's not giving us an excuse to just let go, but it can be a reason why we struggle to hang on. I am amazed at people who are successful with their healthy lifestyle when others in the home bring in trigger foods. I live alone, which is so helpful to me. When I visit family out of town, I eat constantly just because the food is there. Good thing I don't visit often. :D
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    There is only so much we can push ourselves though, there is a limit to what we can take. Those times when the stress of "healthy me" has to step aside for more pressing priorities, I try to keep it simple:

Just stay a little bit hungry. Most of the time.

No counting, no extra time needed. With everything else, a little hunger doesn't add much more, and helps keep me in line. Life is tough, be kind to yourself. You deserve it. But you worked really hard to get to where you are now, and you also deserve to honor the efforts the past you made.