Not Eating My Exercise Calories!!

Options
I've just learned that I have to 'eat back' my exercise calories, is this why I've been feeling so tired the day after Ive trained? I was finding it hard to do 2/3 days of training in a row!! Idiot!
Now that I'm wiser, any suggestion on the best nutritous foods I should consume to replenish my exercise calories?

Also I need more motivation, anyone out there who loves running or taking part in fitness challenges, you can add me as a friend ;)

Replies

• l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    You do not have to eat back your exercise calories.

/popcorn
  • dltacderas
    Options
    Low fat chocolate milk is a good booster after exercising!
  • dltacderas
    Options
    Yes, you need to eat back your exercise calories! That is the healthiest!
  • tinacrivello
    Options
    bananas are great because they're packed full of electrolytes. Kiwis are fab because they have chemicals that work like aspirin, helping to relieve soreness. I personally use P90X Results and Recovery formula and drink Shakeology. Nutrient packed! :)
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    almonds!
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options

No, you dont. From a calorie standpoint, it's pretty much counterproductive to do so.

/more popcorn
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Yes, you do need to eat at least some of you exercise calories back. Going on MFP's food log, you are already eating with a deficit, to much of one is only going to slow and even stop your weight loss.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't purposefully eat back my exercise calories and I've been doing pretty well. I eat small meals all day long and am always energized for my workouts. I think it completely depends on your body, everyone is different. If eating your exercise calories back helps you to loose more weight and put in better workouts, then that's what you need to do. The key is to listen to your body and find out what works best for YOU.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

No, you dont. From a calorie standpoint, it's pretty much counterproductive to do so.

/more popcorn

NOT when you are already eating with a deficit.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    A handful of almonds or some wheat thins/banana...
  • MegRuthie
    MegRuthie Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You exercise to burn fat and build strength. Sure, you can lose by just eating your calories and thats all, but then you'll be a saggy limp noodle. So, to build up your body and maintain a HEALTHY NET CALORIE CONSUMPTION...its best to eat them back
  • MelissaLu
    Options

/more popcorn

I always ate back my exercise calories. I lost 60 pounds so....it works lulz
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

/popcorn

Iseewhatyoudidthere.gif
  • wozzy38
    wozzy38 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think Tinas88 is right...if you go too far under your metabolism will slow down and you won't lose as fast...almonds are good or almond butter..lowfat cheese sticks (sargento 50 cal ones)..
  • hatchet83
    Options
    Erm, you dont have to eat back excersis calories. If you eat less calories than you burn aswell as eating less bad carbs the body burns fat for energy and you loose weight quicker. If you 'make up' your excersise calories you will loose weight more slowley. Its just personal preferance and whats better for you!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Same healthy foods as you would normally eat. You don't need to eat special exercise calories food.
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Since MFP already has us at a calorie deficit I eat back 1/2 of my exercise calories if it was a big exercise day (4+ miles jog) but 3/4 if it was a low exercise day (200 cals or less burned). Feeling tired or hungry isn't productive for long-term compliance with healthy diet and exercise. Eating them all back is just fine as well, if you're truly hungry. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • MegRuthie
    MegRuthie Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't purposefully eat back my exercise calories and I've been doing pretty well. I eat small meals all day long and am always energized for my workouts. I think it completely depends on your body, everyone is different. If eating your exercise calories back helps you to loose more weight and put in better workouts, then that's what you need to do. The key is to listen to your body and find out what works best for YOU.

It definitely works different for different people. I wasn't losing for a long time and started eating my calories back and it finally started coming off again.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options

/popcorn

Iseewhatyoudidthere.gif

+1
  • vodkaswigger
    Options
    I ate my exercise cals for 3 weeks once in an experiment for myself and gained so i never eat them now, maybe 100 odd time but usually none at all and im losing still, your best off ignoring all advice, like i did, try for yourself and see what works for you, some of my friends eat half and still lose, try it was a few weeks and see what happens xx