Keto help

Options
So i have a couple questions regarding keto
1) How long is it until most people use fat as energy aka ketosis.

2) If I plan to go 1 week keto and then quit, will weight and possibly fat come back?

3). Is keto diet bad if you have kidney problems like dark urine. Like for me personally i only get dark urine when i get sick aka cold or flu

4) how should i quit a 1 week keto diet? Foodwise aka carbs

5) Is keto reccomended when approaching exams at school

6) Whats the ideal time people should be using keto diet ?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    To answer number 2, you’ll gain back a lot of the water weight lost if you return to your old carb intake, but one week would not cause much fat loss. As for 3, you should probably speak with your doctor.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

2) If I plan to go 1 week keto and then quit, will weight and possibly fat come back?

3). Is keto diet bad if you have kidney problems like dark urine. Like for me personally i only get dark urine when i get sick aka cold or flu

1. You can be in ketosis the same day; but you are mistaken... fat adaptation is not the same as ketosis. Additionally, people who eat lots of carbs use fat as energy; just not at the higher exertion levels that fat adapted athletes can use. Fat adaptation takes 8-12 weeks.

2. Maybe, there are other factors involved.

3. If you have CKD, talk to your nephrologist; but generally high protein is not recommended for CKD patients. Fortunately, keto is not high protein but high fat. If your urine is dark, that is usually an indication you need to drink more water.

4. 1 week is not going to make a whole lot of difference in the big pictures. If you eat keto for a week, you will lose some water weight at the outset and gain that water back as soon as you return to eating high carb.

5. In the long-term, this can work. In the short term (i.e. start a keto diet the day before exams), this is not a good idea. You haven't had a chance to adapt yet and may be experiencing "keto flu." Additionally, our brains can only use glucose and ketones for energy (but can't directly oxidize fat). Going through a transition to give your brain more ketones and less glucose at test time is ill advised. If you are going to do it, transition several weeks in advance of your exams or wait until they are over.

6. The keto diet has shown some therapeutic benefit for some medical conditions. For otherwise healthy ("normal") individuals, it is often found to improve satiety and it is therefore easier to eat an appropriate amount.
  • SugarAndSugar
    SugarAndSugar Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Nothing magical about Keto.

But in keto isnt your body using fat as fuel? But then i am contradicting myself because a caloric deficit makes your body use fat as fuel. So could you like guide me through? Like is keto a more extreme version of just calorie deficit? Because in a normal calorie deficit, your body still relies on carbs but when that 500 calorie deficit is present, does your body use fat as fuel? Or muscle?
  • SugarAndSugar
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    To answer number 2, you’ll gain back a lot of the water weight lost if you return to your old carb intake, but one week would not cause much fat loss. As for 3, you should probably speak with your doctor.

Ok
  • SugarAndSugar
    Options
    I think instead of asking all these questions rapid-fire it might be more helpful to explain your current situation and your goals.

Um basically just general fat loss. I dont think current situations are relevant to the questions
  • SugarAndSugar
    Options

1. You can be in ketosis the same day; but you are mistaken... fat adaptation is not the same as ketosis. Additionally, people who eat lots of carbs use fat as energy; just not at the higher exertion levels that fat adapted athletes can use. Fat adaptation takes 8-12 weeks.

3. If you have CKD, talk to your nephrologist; but generally high protein is not recommended for CKD patients. Fortunately, keto is not high protein but high fat. If your urine is dark, that is usually an indication you need to drink more water.

4. 1 week is not going to make a whole lot of difference in the big pictures. If you eat keto for a week, you will lose some water weight at the outset and gain that water back as soon as you return to eating high carb.

5. In the long-term, this can work. In the short term (i.e. start a keto diet the day before exams), this is not a good idea. You haven't had a chance to adapt yet and may be experiencing "keto flu." Additionally, our brains can only use glucose and ketones for energy (but can't directly oxidize fat). Going through a transition to give your brain more ketones and less glucose at test time is ill advised. If you are going to do it, transition several weeks in advance of your exams or wait until they are over.

6. The keto diet has shown some therapeutic benefit for some medical conditions. For otherwise healthy ("normal") individuals, it is often found to improve satiety and it is therefore easier to eat an appropriate amount.

I appreciate it but for #6 let me clarify. I wanted to know like how long one should do keto diet. Like what is the ideal day or week length
  • SugarAndSugar
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

But in keto isnt your body using fat as fuel? But then i am contradicting myself because a caloric deficit makes your body use fat as fuel. So could you like guide me through? Like is keto a more extreme version of just calorie deficit? Because in a normal calorie deficit, your body still relies on carbs but when that 500 calorie deficit is present, does your body use fat as fuel? Or muscle?

Your body uses fat as fuel because that is what you are eating. You won't magically burn more body fat than on any other diet. Keto has a large initial water weight drop, but long term studies don't show any significant advantage over other diets. If you enjoy eating keto, you find it easier to stick too, or you find it helps you stick with your calorie targets, then great. But there is no advantage outside of these things (which is only applicable for some people - many prefer higher carbs). To lose weight on keto, you still need a calorie deficit.

So on a carb balanced caloric deficit, the same fat loss will occur as a no carb but caloric deficit diet? Then whats the point
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Your body uses fat as fuel because that is what you are eating. You won't magically burn more body fat than on any other diet. Keto has a large initial water weight drop, but long term studies don't show any significant advantage over other diets. If you enjoy eating keto, you find it easier to stick too, or you find it helps you stick with your calorie targets, then great. But there is no advantage outside of these things (which is only applicable for some people - many prefer higher carbs). To lose weight on keto, you still need a calorie deficit.

So on a carb balanced caloric deficit, the same fat loss will occur as a no carb but caloric deficit diet? Then whats the point

The point is the things I said. Some find it easier to stick to, because they are more sated with higher fat intake. Some find they overeat carbs. If you aren't one of those people, then stick with a calorie deficit eating foods that you do enjoy. No need to overcomplicate it.

There are some people who do find that controlled carb diet are better for them (insulin resistance, PCOS, and some diabetics). There is also some research that indicates keto can help control seizures. If those don't apply to you, then eat what you like. If these do apply to you, then work with your doctor and a registered dietician.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    if you dont plan to cut out carbs for life dont do it at all, Youll get nowhere fast and likely just regain it all even faster. Theres absolutely no point....i lost 115 pounds eating 60-70% carbs just fine. Carbs are not the problem calories are
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Options

That is kind of the point. The diet you chose largely doesn't matter. It's the number of calories you choose and how well you can stick to it. The only diet shown to have any advantage is a higher protein diet, due to its energetic effects and links to improved metabolism.

What matters is maintaining a healthy weight and exercise. What matters to a lesser extend is eating high quality, nutrient dense foods.
  • roxybeer
    roxybeer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you're just looking to lose a bunch of fat in a very quick amount of time (I lost 30lbs on keto in about 2.5 months), keto is perfect. Sustain it all through summer to keep your beach body and then go back to eating normally in the winter and gain it all back. <end sarcasm>
  • SugarAndSugar
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    if you dont plan to cut out carbs for life dont do it at all, Youll get nowhere fast and likely just regain it all even faster. Theres absolutely no point....i lost 115 pounds eating 60-70% carbs just fine. Carbs are not the problem calories are

What calorie calculator did you use
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I appreciate it but for #6 let me clarify. I wanted to know like how long one should do keto diet. Like what is the ideal day or week length

It depends... in my case, the medical improvement (much more consistent BG management) for type 1 diabetes is phenomenal. Since there is no cure for type 1, I will follow for life.

If you are doing keto for satiety: then if you reach goal weight and stop, will you over-eat and gain weight again? If yes, then you should consider doing it forever.