I’m thinking I should get a food scale

Options

Replies

• DragonHasTheSapphire
    DragonHasTheSapphire Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! Looks like I can order one for around $10. it will be interesting to see what I’ve actually been eating!

I hope you'll check back and let us know how it goes, whether good or bad :drinker:

I'm sure it'll be good :). When I lost 50 lbs I didn't calorie count or weigh my food, but now that I am I've noticed a huge difference in portion sizes. I was totally underestimating them!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    For me a food scale is the difference between literally not losing weight and losing weight.
  • Phoenix_312
    Phoenix_312 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's great except it threw me off when it had the ml option (besides grams). It works for liquid but when measuring my serving size of ice cream at 125ml I measured it using the scale and it turned out to be 1 cup instead of 1/2 cup. So for ice cream definitely use a measuring cup. Lol.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    It's great except it threw me off when it had the ml option (besides grams). It works for liquid but when measuring my serving size of ice cream at 125ml I measured it using the scale and it turned out to be 1 cup instead of 1/2 cup. So for ice cream definitely use a measuring cup. Lol.

Why don't you just measure the icecream in grams??? It wasn't an option on the back?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Why don't you just measure the icecream in grams??? It wasn't an option on the back?

I’ve seen several posters complain about that over the years. Some containers in some countries do only have mls. Canada is one that comes to mind. Though it may not be every brand.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

I’ve seen several posters complain about that over the years. Some containers in some countries do only have mls. Canada is one that comes to mind. Though it may not be every brand.

Yeah I've seen a couple too.
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yes. Last year I tracked without a food scale for a month and I gained weight. This year I have one and I’ve lost weight after two weeks.
  • juliamfu161
    juliamfu161 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I got a small cheap one for like $10, it was the best purchase I've ever made in my kitchen. Not only is it good for portion control, it also helps with making recipes too. I don't have to worry about the metric system anymore! I can measure in grams!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

I think the only thing I've seen that's a semi-solid and still has grams is yogurt. IIRC all ice cream only has mls and cups, milk too. I just convert it to oz and hope for the best. 4.2oz is supposed to equal 1/2c so that's what I measure my ice cream and milk to.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    A half cup serving of ice cream is typically 68-75 grams. If that helps anyone. Once I started weighing it out and seeing how small it was I stopped eating ice cream for the most part, until I found enlightened, now I eat it every night. Lol
  • bbell1985
    Options

I think the only thing I've seen that's a semi-solid and still has grams is yogurt. IIRC all ice cream only has mls and cups, milk too. I just convert it to oz and hope for the best. 4.2oz is supposed to equal 1/2c so that's what I measure my ice cream and milk to.

Oh okay. Didn't realize it was that common. I've only seen like one condiment that didn't have grams. All ketchup and dressings, and definitely ice cream have servings in grams that I've seen.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Oh okay. Didn't realize it was that common. I've only seen like one condiment that didn't have grams. All ketchup and dressings, and definitely ice cream have servings in grams that I've seen.

The only thing I haven't seen have grams was shredded cheese from the local cheese factory. Which was frustrating because cheese is one of the things I definitely need to weigh!
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    So my scale came and it seems to be touchy about my counters just aren’t flat enough. Has anyone had this problem? It worked perfectly the first couple times I used it. Maybe I should return it for an analog. If you have one do you like it?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So my scale came and it seems to be touchy about my counters just aren’t flat enough. Has anyone had this problem? It worked perfectly the first couple times I used it. Maybe I should return it for an analog. If you have one do you like it?

If it's flakey, return it, but don't get analog. Harder to tare and tare is a useful function.

But maybe try placing it on a cutting board to see if the flat surface helps.

I don't even know the brand of mine, and bought it at Canadian Tire so probably wouldn't be helpful anyway.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I've only ever had one icecream without grams... I tipped it out of the container, weighed it and worked out what the grams per serve would be.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I've had this one for years, and have never had any problems.

https://www.amazon.com/Escali-157RR-Glass-Digital-Kitchen/dp/B0051ZOJFQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1525270628&sr=8-2&keywords=escali+food+scale&dpID=31589gTlUYL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
  • carlyr0se
    carlyr0se Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've had this food scale since January 2013 and it still works perfectly! Cheap too.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E7AZQA
  • vallary14
    vallary14 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

What did you get?

The brand is warm homing I think
  • lizzyfit2
    lizzyfit2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My food scale, measuring cups and spoons,(along with my MFP log) has truly opened my eyes as to HOW BAD my "guessing" has always been! :p I've never been a big eater, especially junk food. I have severe back condition that keeps me physically slow for long periods of time, so even "normal" healthy eating can turn to poundage over time as what I do eat, becomes stored fats.
    Not a lot to lose, but MAN, this weighing and measuring has really "retrained" my brain to realize what I THOUGHT was just a cup, was actually at least 1.5 cups..
    Do that mistake with everything you ingest during 24 hours, it really adds up the calories!

Get a scale, you'll be happy you did..
    I believe at some point I won't need/use it to the extent I am now, but by that time I'll have a much better understanding of what portion sizes REALLY are, from the training I'm giving myself NOW...
    Cheers!