PH3/Programming/BFR Chat

2»

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I ran PH3 prior to hiring my powerlifting coach and really liked it. More than PHAT or PHUL. I did not BFR then, but I do now with the program my coach gives me. I've had some significant changes in my arms and shoulders. I'd show you, but I can't get a *kitten* pic to post.

Okay so how do you like the BFR? For me I'm like...I'm not lifting THAT heavy anyway, so do I really need to get that extra stimulus with light weight? Honestly, I am starting to get a little tired though. And I love experiments.

Nice gains.

It's not my favorite part of my program but it's two lifts in my entire week's program. So, I shut up and do them. LOL Triceps extension and bicep curls, 30/15/15/15.

Yeah..but do you get a good pump? I'm a bro when it comes to a good pump.

I add glute work into this program and just started doing cardio for the first time in my life too. Not the smartest but I love extremes so we'll see how I can keep it up.

HYUUGE pump.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Firstly I have to ask. Why couldn't you post? Aha.

I'm still running my intermediate program drawn up by sheiko.

I feel you on stopping at the prescribed reps especially when you know you could blast out several just as clean reps.

I think that could be why my squats have stalled while everything is still going up. That and constantly dealing with a pinching hip that takes 20 minutes stretch out.

I've been doing a lot of banded work. Do I ever love it on deadlifts. At least you are making progress still. 10lbs is 10lbs.

I also upped my front squat 3rm to 245 recently. Yet my Low bar is refusing to budge..

I was in jail because apparently I'm a big fat jerk.

Love Sheiko. I got to squat and deadlift for him at a seminar once.

10lbs is 10 lbs but I entered a conservative max to start with so I'm not that overjoyed. But considering I couldn't squat or deadlift for 7 months last year, I'll take it.

How are you liking Sheiko? Do you get much accessory work in?

Hahaha out of the two of us I'm pretty sure I should be the one who gets in trouble. Shame on you for having an opinion and speaking out about it.

Yeah that injury sounds terriblr. I honestly think i would be very depressed if I was restricted like that for so long.

I'm loving it a lot. Accessory work. Is generally 5x4, 6, 8, or 10. Pecs 3x weekly. Lats 2x, shoulders 1-2x depending on the week, bis/tris 2x.

But for accessory for main movements.

This week I've done deficit deadlifts and banded deadlifts. Which I love.

Pause bench, banded bench, and block presses

And 2s pause squats. Though squats haven't been featured much in the last 2 weeks

I hate snatch grid RDLs with a passion.

I have thin patience sometimes.

I wish I could try some more exercise variations like these. When I deadlifted for Sheiko he had me do a pause below the knee, and then above again. I for the life of me can't remember why.

It was to build your ability to maintain core stability and tension if i remrmber correctly Especially if you pause holding hundreds of pounds.

I just finished a block where I did them quite frequently.

For the AMRAP. I always try to stop. Reset and go again. I've noticed when people do touch and go they already have their hips shot up. I'm sure they can be beneficial but I almost feel they promote incorrect form. That's just what I've taken from personal experience.

I didn't stop and go today! I was pleased with the result. Just enough reps to add 5 lbs. It's not 10 but hey, I added 10 last time.

Another week at the same weight for bench though :( Still haven't raised it once.

I highly recommend block presses for your bench! I have a 2" block and wow has it improves my lockout.

Another thing that seems to work super well is reaaaally warming up my lats prior to working sets. I've tried the same weight with and without doing it and the lat involvement goes through the room when they're warm.

You'll get there though!

I don't really have a lock out issue. More of a...I'm weak as crap issue.

I never warm up my lats. I'll consider that.
  • bbell1985
    I ran PH3 prior to hiring my powerlifting coach and really liked it. More than PHAT or PHUL. I did not BFR then, but I do now with the program my coach gives me. I've had some significant changes in my arms and shoulders. I'd show you, but I can't get a *kitten* pic to post.

Okay so how do you like the BFR? For me I'm like...I'm not lifting THAT heavy anyway, so do I really need to get that extra stimulus with light weight? Honestly, I am starting to get a little tired though. And I love experiments.

Nice gains.

It's not my favorite part of my program but it's two lifts in my entire week's program. So, I shut up and do them. LOL Triceps extension and bicep curls, 30/15/15/15.

Yeah..but do you get a good pump? I'm a bro when it comes to a good pump.

I add glute work into this program and just started doing cardio for the first time in my life too. Not the smartest but I love extremes so we'll see how I can keep it up.

HYUUGE pump.

ooh baby
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Firstly I have to ask. Why couldn't you post? Aha.

I'm still running my intermediate program drawn up by sheiko.

I feel you on stopping at the prescribed reps especially when you know you could blast out several just as clean reps.

I think that could be why my squats have stalled while everything is still going up. That and constantly dealing with a pinching hip that takes 20 minutes stretch out.

I've been doing a lot of banded work. Do I ever love it on deadlifts. At least you are making progress still. 10lbs is 10lbs.

I also upped my front squat 3rm to 245 recently. Yet my Low bar is refusing to budge..

I was in jail because apparently I'm a big fat jerk.

Love Sheiko. I got to squat and deadlift for him at a seminar once.

10lbs is 10 lbs but I entered a conservative max to start with so I'm not that overjoyed. But considering I couldn't squat or deadlift for 7 months last year, I'll take it.

How are you liking Sheiko? Do you get much accessory work in?

Hahaha out of the two of us I'm pretty sure I should be the one who gets in trouble. Shame on you for having an opinion and speaking out about it.

Yeah that injury sounds terriblr. I honestly think i would be very depressed if I was restricted like that for so long.

I'm loving it a lot. Accessory work. Is generally 5x4, 6, 8, or 10. Pecs 3x weekly. Lats 2x, shoulders 1-2x depending on the week, bis/tris 2x.

But for accessory for main movements.

This week I've done deficit deadlifts and banded deadlifts. Which I love.

Pause bench, banded bench, and block presses

And 2s pause squats. Though squats haven't been featured much in the last 2 weeks

I hate snatch grid RDLs with a passion.

I have thin patience sometimes.

I wish I could try some more exercise variations like these. When I deadlifted for Sheiko he had me do a pause below the knee, and then above again. I for the life of me can't remember why.

It was to build your ability to maintain core stability and tension if i remrmber correctly Especially if you pause holding hundreds of pounds.

I just finished a block where I did them quite frequently.

For the AMRAP. I always try to stop. Reset and go again. I've noticed when people do touch and go they already have their hips shot up. I'm sure they can be beneficial but I almost feel they promote incorrect form. That's just what I've taken from personal experience.

I didn't stop and go today! I was pleased with the result. Just enough reps to add 5 lbs. It's not 10 but hey, I added 10 last time.

Another week at the same weight for bench though :( Still haven't raised it once.

I highly recommend block presses for your bench! I have a 2" block and wow has it improves my lockout.

Another thing that seems to work super well is reaaaally warming up my lats prior to working sets. I've tried the same weight with and without doing it and the lat involvement goes through the room when they're warm.

You'll get there though!

I don't really have a lock out issue. More of a...I'm weak as crap issue.

I never warm up my lats. I'll consider that.

I just work off the saying. Big back big bench. Do you load your lats during the eccentric?
  • jessef593
    Ahhhh! So frustrating. I didn't get more than prescribed reps for AMRAP squats the first OR second week. Also frustrating because there is a set added and I didn't know if I should AMRAP on the 4th set because I failed the week before, or do it on the 5th set like the program says.

On top top of that I PEED myself on the 4th set and I wasn't wearing underwear so you could literally see the stream. Ugh...hit the last set and changed into shorts for the rest of the leg workout.

Awe haha. You're a *kitten* trooper I'll give you that! I've gurgled up a bit of vomit before so you're not the only one!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Ahhhh! So frustrating. I didn't get more than prescribed reps for AMRAP squats the first OR second week. Also frustrating because there is a set added and I didn't know if I should AMRAP on the 4th set because I failed the week before, or do it on the 5th set like the program says.

On top top of that I PEED myself on the 4th set and I wasn't wearing underwear so you could literally see the stream. Ugh...hit the last set and changed into shorts for the rest of the leg workout.

Happens to the best of us...
    AMRAP hack squats has me convinced I have come down with a case of parkinson's or restless legs...can not control the leg tremors. Got good results with ridiculously high rep low weight squats, leg press, & seated calve raises; not worth the pain, monotony, & boredom now (not to mention no desire for more size).

• bbell1985

Happens to the best of us...
    AMRAP hack squats has me convinced I have come down with a case of parkinson's or restless legs...can not control the leg tremors. Got good results with ridiculously high rep low weight squats, leg press, & seated calve raises; not worth the pain, monotony, & boredom now (not to mention no desire for more size).

Yeah I had AMRAP deads last night and I was trembling. Couldn't sleep. Had to leave the house at like 12 am for snacks. (This is why I'm fat).

I had luck with lower weight leg work too. Did I already say that I ran PHAT with my herniated disk? That was the best I ever looked. When I couldn't powerlift...imagine that lol.
  • bbell1985
    Question to those doing BFR...does your tourniquet fit your arm and your leg or do you have two different sizes?
  • Iron_Muscle_
    Iron_Muscle_ Posts: 5,095 Member
    Question to those doing BFR...does your tourniquet fit your arm and your leg or do you have two different sizes?

I use regular straps. I cut them in half for my arms and use the non cut ones for my legs.
    I usually don’t make it right enough for it to be a tourniquet. But I know what you’re saying. I did BFR last Friday to finish my arm workout. I also used them pre leg workout on the bike as a warmup to get the blood pumping. The wrap is not as tight as a regular BFR.
    Hope this helps. @bbell1985
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

I use separate ones. Legs are just knee wraps worn higher. Arms are tourniquets.
  • bbell1985
    Thanks guys. I can't believe the arm gains on this program. I'm a little tank right now.
  • Iron_Muscle_
    Thanks guys. I can't believe the arm gains on this program. I'm a little tank right now.

Right? It’s ridiculous. Post some pics. @bbell1985
  • bbell1985
    edited April 2018
    Well this isn’t from PH3 strictly but here are some gains over the past 2.5 years

Admittedly my arms don't look great in these after photos. No pump or anything.

p5xdt55ek2ab.jpeg

1crjyzf71i99.jpeg

• Iron_Muscle_
    Well this isn’t from PH3 strictly but here are some gains over the past 2.5 years

p5xdt55ek2ab.jpeg

1crjyzf71i99.jpeg

Looks good to me. You have some serious arm power going on. Got some guns. :) very nice
  • jessef593

p5xdt55ek2ab.jpeg

1crjyzf71i99.jpeg

That's some decent progress there. Hella leg gains! I think you've put on more leg mass than i have Inthe same time period.
  • bbell1985
    There's about a 15-20lb difference.

I was sad about the scale. The gains were kind of an accident. I just like training and food. I don't think I look terrible.

I do need to lose about 10 lbs though
  • Iron_Muscle_

I was sad about the scale. The gains were kind of an accident. I just like training and food. I don't think I look terrible.

I think you look great. Well defined and I’m with you on the training and food. 2 of my favorite things. @bbell1985
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member

That's because you don't look terrible, you look good. Strong and confident looking.