How to Count Certain Items???

Options
I have a few of these questions but since currently I ate popcorn I will start there.

I have a mini bag that reads as follows...

Per serving ... serving size one bag... (makes about 5.5 cups popped)

Per serving:
Calories: 200
Mono-saturated Fat: 4g
Sodium: 420mg
Cabs: 23g

One Cup Popped:
Calories: 30
Mono-saturated Fat: .5g
Sodium: 50mg
Cabs: 3g

So then why at 5.5 x one cup popped:
Calories: 165
Mono-saturated Fat: 2.75
Sodium: 275mg
Cabs: 16.5g

So what do I log?
Do I log based on how many cups I pop and eat or do I log based on the bag contents?
I am really confused as to where the sodium, carbs, and fat went to.

Advice please!

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale and weigh it before you eat it
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I just log the whole bag (or a portion of the bag) and call it good. Popcorn is rather annoying to deal with.
  • IzzyFlower2018
    IzzyFlower2018 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »
    I just log the whole bag (or a portion of the bag) and call it good. Popcorn is rather annoying to deal with.

Yeah that is what I think I will do cause I just don't get it ... rather side on to much then to little logged I'm just super annoyed ... at least it is not just me :/ Thanks for your response
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is the WORST!
  • IzzyFlower2018
    Options
    Get a food scale and weigh it before you eat it

Then what? Which calorie def do I use?
    The one where the 500 grams = 200 calories or the one where 500 grams = 165 calories?
  • Amerek412
    Amerek412 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I remember someone asking this same thing about why popped popcorn has less calories than the unpopped kernels in the bag. It seemed to be the consensus that the unpopped calories includes all the butter in the bag, while the popped calories takes into account that a portion of the butter ends up sticking to the inside of the bag and not on the popcorn.

Not sure if I explained that well lol
  • IzzyFlower2018
    Options
    Amerek412 wrote: »
    I remember someone asking this same thing about why popped popcorn has less calories than the unpopped kernels in the bag. It seemed to be the consensus that the unpopped calories includes all the butter in the bag, while the popped calories takes into account that a portion of the butter ends up sticking to the inside of the bag and not on the popcorn.

Not sure if I explained that well lol

Yeah I could see that... I was also wondering if they were assuming some of the kernels didn't pop so those fell off or what ... thank you for your reply
  • IzzyFlower2018
    Options
    Popcorn is the WORST!

Right!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

The one where the 500 grams = 200 calories or the one where 500 grams = 165 calories?

You could log 165 and then do a quick add of 18 calories to split the difference.
  • IzzyFlower2018
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

You could log 165 and then do a quick add of 18 calories to split the difference.

True! I feel better about being off 18 and the sodium wouldn't be such a hard hit either.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I have a few of these questions but since currently I ate popcorn I will start there.

I have a mini bag that reads as follows...

Per serving ... serving size one bag... (makes about 5.5 cups popped)

Per serving:
    Calories: 200
    Mono-saturated Fat: 4g
    Sodium: 420mg
    Cabs: 23g

One Cup Popped:
    Calories: 30
    Mono-saturated Fat: .5g
    Sodium: 50mg
    Cabs: 3g

So then why at 5.5 x one cup popped:
    Calories: 165
    Mono-saturated Fat: 2.75
    Sodium: 275mg
    Cabs: 16.5g

So what do I log?
    Do I log based on how many cups I pop and eat or do I log based on the bag contents?
    I am really confused as to where the sodium, carbs, and fat went to.

Advice please!

I would just log the bag as a serving. I think the "about" 5.5 cups is throwing it off...but really, you're talking about 30 calories per cup vs 36 and a total difference of 35 calories. Just go with the higher number.
  • IzzyFlower2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would just log the bag as a serving. I think the "about" 5.5 cups is throwing it off...but really, you're talking about 30 calories per cup vs 36 and a total difference of 35 calories. Just go with the higher number.

So the 2.5 cups I ate just log it as 54% of the bag and call it a day.

I think really its the whole trying to watch sodium that really irked me more than having to take a higher calorie hit.

Thanks for your input.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    pop the corn and then weigh what you are eating
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

True! I feel better about being off 18 and the sodium wouldn't be such a hard hit either.

It is your diary and you need to feel good about it when situations like this pop up (pun intended). It doesn't change anything you consumed but I doubt anyone logs with perfect accuracy 100 percent of the time. I don't know how others do it but I always leave a few calories each day for a margin of error.
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I personally go with the higher number, just to be safe.

I'm a big fan of the 100 calorie popcorn bags (though even here, read nutrition labels carefully... one common brand is 100 kcal for their 100 calorie popcorn; another common brand lists 110 calories for their 100 calorie popcorn).

I also love my air popcorn popper. I weigh my raw kernels to the gram and know exactly what I'm getting!
  • Smileyawaw
    Smileyawaw Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I personally go with the higher number, just to be safe.

I'm a big fan of the 100 calorie popcorn bags (though even here, read nutrition labels carefully... one common brand is 100 kcal for their 100 calorie popcorn; another common brand lists 110 calories for their 100 calorie popcorn).

I also love my air popcorn popper. I weigh my raw kernels to the gram and know exactly what I'm getting!

I have an air popper as well but it's really loud and throws popcorn everywhere! Now, I pop mine in a lidded but dry copper pot and it perfectly pops every kernel. I spray a little I can't believe it's not butter spray and sprinkle 1tsp of ranch dressing powder after it's popped if I'm feeling fancy - so good!! :-)
  • IzzyFlower2018
    Options
    Thanks everyone I appreciate your time! As a newbie it’s so easy to get frustrated over small things when you just want to do it right so the weight comes off... thanks again
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I buy the 100 calorie bags and just log 100 calories :)