Food suddenly tastes so amazing....WTF?!?!

Options
Hi. I am down 47 lbs now and in the last couple of days I have realized that suddenly my food tastes amazing! I doubt I suddenly became a better cook. I can hold my own in the kitchen, don't get me wrong. But I just ate a bagel with margarine and it was so freakin good! Yesterday I made a ground chicken and rice burrito and it's a good thing I was at work when I ate it because I would have likely made myself a second had I been at home.

Does this sound familiar to you? Any idea what the heck is going on?

Replies

• jenna_nicolo
    jenna_nicolo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    For me it's two things: 1. I really appreciate and savor the food I do have, because I'm mindfully eating good food and 2. I don't often eat really intense things like cookies or salty french fries, so my palate has changed.

Agreed. I used to eat a lot of salty things, a lot of super sweet sugary things, and I guess I just wasn't as sensitive to those tastes. Not that I don't still have stuff like that occasionally but when I do I'm finding I don't overeat it or mindlessly munch like I used to. I'm trying to really taste and savor my food.

Anyway sounds like a good thing OP! There's no reason not to enjoy food and the more you love what and how you eat the more likely you are to stay on track. Kudos!
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I found that when I eat because I am actually mildly hungry, food tastes better! Not starving, I'm just not usually eating anymore because I am bored/stressed/thirsty/staring at a screen.

Because I am tracking, I think more about food and what I want to eat, not just what's convenient. Tracking makes me pay more attention while I eat, which makes me appreciate the taste of food more. I had a tiny mini twix last night, and I savored it instead of just eating a handful one after the other out of habit. It tasted great!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    For me it has to do with tracking my macros. My body seems to crave those and when I eat something I need, I can just feel my body going---ahhhh. I'm talking about the right amount of fat, and protein, especially. It is strange, but seems right at the same time. Congratulations OP.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks for your great responses my good friends of MFP! I am glad to see it's not all in my head and you have experienced this too. I think a little of what everyone has said stands true for me. Especially the part of mindful eating. How many times in the past I could eat a whole bowl of something infront of the tv and not even realize I was done. Tells you how much I really enjoyed it, lol.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    It's one of many gifts of weight loss (for some of us, anyway). ;)
  • lesstjm
    lesstjm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    if you have been cutting out sugar things start to taste better after awhile
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I didn't know there was anyone left in the world who still uses margarine.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    lesstjm wrote: »
    if you have been cutting out sugar things start to taste better after awhile

Nope, totally not cutting out sugar. Except out of my coffee but that was only a teaspoon anyway.
    NovusDies wrote: »

• GOT_Obsessed
    Options

A tub can last me up to a year. I rarely use it. I just didn't know what to put on the bagel except for peanut butter which I was not feeling. I dunno....seemed logical to me. lol

Why don't people use margarine?
  • NovusDies
    Options

Why don't people use margarine?

Because it isn't delicious butter.

Eat what you like though. I doubt the old butter vs margarine health debate would apply to someone who uses it so sparingly.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    Options
    lol. Okay, that makes complete sense. On the rare occasion that I eat pickeral there is no way margarine would cut it! EVER!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Fresh figs are amazing!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It does take a while to develop sensitivity to tastes other than sugar, but you do appear to have done so. Congratulations!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options

In my household of 4, one wants Smart Balance, one wants Shedd's Spread. I use butter when something of that ilk is needed, but if Mrs asks for a grilled cheese sandwich only the Shedd's will do.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    In my household of 4, one wants Smart Balance, one wants Shedd's Spread. I use butter when something of that ilk is needed, but if Mrs asks for a grilled cheese sandwich only the Shedd's will do.

I don't know these terms Smart Balance and Shedd's which sounds like somewhere I park my mower.
  • staraly
    staraly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Years ago when I was a wine waiter I did advanced wine training certification. Part of the course was learning how taste buds work, and identifying guests who were 'supertasters' as they tend to be more particular. I'm in this category too.
    The following article gives a good overview of taste buds and some info about taste and weight gain.
    https://www.google.com/amp/amp.health.com/health/article/0,,20899055,00.html