Tripping over feet while walking

Options
mehganlee7187
mehganlee7187 Posts: 15 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm just curious if anybody has ever experienced this. When walking more than 1/2 mile I start feeling weak in my legs and start tripping over my feet. It's almost like my feet are moving faster than my brain wants them too! Lol. Even when I force myself to slow down it doesn't help. I also find that my upper torso wants to bend forward. This has been going on for a while now. Diet is the same (just counting calories). There's no pain at all. I'm just frustrated!! Just curious if anybody else has ever experienced this? (Gonna make a doctor's appointment soon too)

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    How are your shoes? How is your posture? Do you do any core exercises? If you have lost weight, your feet might be coming closer together. My thighs used to keep mine apart.
  • mehganlee7187
    Options
    How are your shoes? How is your posture? Do you do any core exercises? If you have lost weight, your feet might be coming closer together. My thighs used to keep mine apart.

My posture is fine as long as I'm not doing anything. The more I move the more my body wants to bend over. Once I rest for 15-20 minutes I feel fine again. I have lost about 77lbs from my heaviest.
  • mehganlee7187
    Options
    Balance issues are a medical concern.

I agree! Going to call my doctor this week to get checked out.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Balance issues are a medical concern.

I agree! Going to call my doctor this week to get checked out.

Please do! The weakness in your legs that you describe is concerning. Hugs!
  • mehganlee7187
    Options
    So I wanted to add some more detail to what might be going on. I walked the long way home from work yesterday (almost 2 miles.). Once I reached about 1/2 mile from my apartment my back started to hunch over (completely involuntarily) and my legs felt like cement. My back does not hurt, and I can twist and bend and all that. It only happens when I move a lot for an extended period of time. It takes every ounce of my energy and willpower not to collapse on the ground. Anyway...I made it home (barely) and collapsed on my couch. After a 1/2 hour I was good as new. I've googled these symptoms and find nothing that even closely matches. Hoping I get some answers at my doctors appointment next week. Until then I'm gonna keep walking! (Just not as far! Lol)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I know this feeling of feet walking faster than head.I usually get this when my blood pressure is very low and doesn't recovery naturally. Then walking burns a ton of energy and I just get weak and have to eat. Another possibility is hot weather and dehydration for me. In your case: if none of those play a role: maybe more practice?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Definately see your doc, but in the meant time some things to think about.

You are going to far too soon, build up slowly every other day. Give your leg muscles time to build.
    If you want, spot places where you can stop and sit for 5 min then carry on (I used to just sit on the curbwhen I needed a rest, or propped myself against a wall).

If your mainly sitting all day at work, your core muscles (front and back) are probably weak causing your posture to break down. Working on some posture and strength exercises will help.

Your centre of gravity has changed as you have lost weight and your style of walking has yet to catch up. This goes with take it slow, also think of getting fitted for some new walking shoes.

You are a little dehydrated, drink a glass of water before leaving work.

Your electrolytes are low, if it is hot, or the walking is making you sweat, think about carrying a bottle of water with electrolytes added to drink.

Are you on a deficit that doesn't support the extra activity, or food timing that leaves you approaching hungry. A small snack, apple or banana, may help.

Do come back and report in the doc visit and your progress.

Cheers, h.
  • mehganlee7187
    Options
    Definately see your doc, but in the meant time some things to think about.

You are going to far too soon, build up slowly every other day. Give your leg muscles time to build.
    If you want, spot places where you can stop and sit for 5 min then carry on (I used to just sit on the curbwhen I needed a rest, or propped myself against a wall).

If your mainly sitting all day at work, your core muscles (front and back) are probably weak causing your posture to break down. Working on some posture and strength exercises will help.

Your centre of gravity has changed as you have lost weight and your style of walking has yet to catch up. This goes with take it slow, also think of getting fitted for some new walking shoes.

You are a little dehydrated, drink a glass of water before leaving work.

Your electrolytes are low, if it is hot, or the walking is making you sweat, think about carrying a bottle of water with electrolytes added to drink.

Are you on a deficit that doesn't support the extra activity, or food timing that leaves you approaching hungry. A small snack, apple or banana, may help.

Do come back and report in the doc visit and your progress.

Cheers, h.

Thanks for all the great advice! I'm actually not new to walking though...used to go 2-3 miles with no problems (except the typical sore legs). I also work at a daycare with infants and young toddlers, so I'm moving and lifting all day. I will definitely try the snack/electrolytes advice though, and looking for places to rest
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Glad some things were of use :)
    When you don't know someone's circumstances all, or no, options may be useful.

If you are on your feet a lot during the day, is there a chance you can just have a quiet sit and a drink/snack for 10 min before starting your walk?

It can take time to build up to a previous walking level.
    This time last year I was walking 10km races. The year in between, not a lot of walking, no racing, so I'm at a pleasant 5km stroll with a little bit of hurry added in. By next spring I will be comfortable at a faster 10km. I'm building slow.

Cheers, h.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat enough I have similar issues to you when exercising, and I'm mainly talking protein. If my protein intake is good, all is well.

You sound active in general so my question Is, are you eating to fuel your body?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,690 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat enough I have similar issues to you when exercising, and I'm mainly talking protein. If my protein intake is good, all is well.

You sound active in general so my question Is, are you eating to fuel your body?

Bingo! Not so much the protein angle but the sufficient calories angle.

Are you still set to 2lbs a week? How close are you to normal weight?
  • mehganlee7187
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I'm set to lose .5 a week. Gives me 1,630 a day. My goal is 165lbs... roughly 22lbs from it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,690 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

I'm set to lose .5 a week. Gives me 1,630 a day. My goal is 165lbs... roughly 22lbs from it.

While on the face of it that sounds okay what have your actual losses been these past few weeks? Do they hint at a greater deficit?

And I don't recall right now but you have made an appointment with your physician, right?

I mean in addition to calories there's many other reasons why people might either feel extra tired or lose their balance ..
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Eh...the first time I went to the physical therapist for back problems a question he asked was "do you find yourself tripping over your feet"

I'd see a professional...if not a doctor, a PT
  • mehganlee7187
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I've only lost 13lbs since January. Pretty sure that's not too fast. Maybe I'm wrong though. I'm seeing my doctor next Tuesday