Are Protein Bars "Healthy" ?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
One of the reasons I would consistently overeat was not getting enough protein. I get headaches and migraines easily, and one thing my doctor mentioned was not eating enough protein can cause headaches. I noticed a significant relief when I eat more protein. The problem is I have difficulty consistently getting protein in my meals without a lot more calories.

(I know lots of people can, and find it easy, I just don't for some reason. Eating 'normally' with my family I would eat a wide range, from about 40g to 100g, and I would also eat a variety of calories per day, and it would be very inconsistent, but generally with more calories I had more protein).

Also I would often be late to a meal and get too hungry, which would motivate me to buy food, overeat, or if I resisted I would get a headache. So to solve both of these issues, I decided to get some protein bars as a back-up. It worked really well. They are not too high calorie, and having one in my bag keeps me from getting headaches or buying calorie dense food in an emergency.

But I get a lot of criticism from my family for eating "fake food". And I have noticed I tend to have one most days I leave the house.

I know there are sugar alcohols and preservatives in them because they are shelf stable - which was the reason I wanted them in the bottom of my bag for emergencies. But I didn't expect to rely on them so many days of the week. So, is relying on them a bad thing, nutritionally?

My other concern is that the bars I'm eating are whey protein, which is dairy, and I already consume a lot of dairy. So can too much dairy also be an issue?

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    She's a dudette.

iv never called anyone dude and now its my second time today. Wonder where i picked this annoying habit up. Seriously though...Bigger battles. Sound like a good fit for you so stop worrying about minor things that dont matter
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    They are healthy but very evil.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I eat so many protein bars.
  • kiela64
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn’t eat them on a regular basis, but if they satisfy you and fit in your diet then they might help you avoid other impulse foods. Probably not a bad idea to have one if you’re out a while running errands and have to hit the grocery store or after a workout. But you can just as easily carry some almonds and dried fruit in your purse, protein, fiber, calcium, good fat and carbs.

Yes, this is sort of my concern. I have packed peanuts before, and they do well too, but they are much higher in calories and much lower in protein. Over 300cal for less than half the protein. I know a dietician would say that whole foods are better. But I have so much trouble, and this is so easy. I guess I wonder if there's like long term issues with the dairy, or something?
  • kiela64
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I eat one most days. I like them. They fit into my calorie and nutrition goals. I don't feel any negative effects after eating them. Those are my basic criteria when I decide whether or not to include something in my diet.

It's all a balancing act. You have to decide for yourself whether or not you want to find other ways to help prevent your headaches. You might choose to. You might decide it's not worth the trouble.

Either way I think I'd work on setting some boundaries with friends and family so they stop commenting on my food choices, personally. They need to keep their eyes on their own plate imo.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around a lot. Everything feels very difficult. I think for now I'm not going to worry.

My family tells me to eat max 2oz of meat but to eat like 1.5 cups of pasta. The perception that a can of tuna in a casserole is enough protein for two dinners among four people.... I know it isn't accurate. But they have their ideas and I'm not going to change it. They are nosy people.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn’t eat them on a regular basis, but if they satisfy you and fit in your diet then they might help you avoid other impulse foods. Probably not a bad idea to have one if you’re out a while running errands and have to hit the grocery store or after a workout. But you can just as easily carry some almonds and dried fruit in your purse, protein, fiber, calcium, good fat and carbs.

Yes, this is sort of my concern. I have packed peanuts before, and they do well too, but they are much higher in calories and much lower in protein. Over 300cal for less than half the protein. I know a dietician would say that whole foods are better. But I have so much trouble, and this is so easy. I guess I wonder if there's like long term issues with the dairy, or something?

Are you lactose intolerant or have any dairy allergies?
  • kiela64
    Options

No, but I did see a registered dietician a few years ago and she mentioned to eat less dairy. Like 2 servings a day is enough.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have carefully searched out a couple of protein bars that fit my goals.

The easiest one of those goals was to have something on hand so that I don't have an excuse to end up at McDonald's.

Next was fiber content. That was harder.
  • kiela64
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kiela64 wrote: »

No, but I did see a registered dietician a few years ago and she mentioned to eat less dairy. Like 2 servings a day is enough.

As an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I eat a lot of dairy. I'm still walking around at age 62 after 43+ years of this (and I drank a lot of milk even before veggie-hood). So far, I'm pretty healthy, but I guess there could still be some awful consequence awaiting me when I get old. ;)

I don't like protein bars, but I don't see why there's anything philosophically wrong with them. If you like them, eat them.

A lot of my go-to protein snacks are dairy. Some that aren't are crispy chickpeas, crispy broad beans, dry-roasted soybeans, and hard-boiled eggs (don't leave the eggs in the bottom of your bag too long ;) ). The other things I can think of either don't travel as well in a bag (non-crispy beans) or have more fat (nuts).

If I were not a vegetarian, I'd consider shelf-stable packets of tuna or chicken.

Thank you. I’m not vegetarian but I am very picky with meat and don’t like to eat a ton. Maybe roasted soy beans might work better than the peanuts, with a better protein/calorie ratio. I’ll look into that. Crunchy things are nice.

Eggs are good too. But yes definitely more perishable lol. She also told me not to have more than one egg in a day, and never more than 2x in a week. So I ended up being put off eggs because I was confused about why (I don’t have cholesterol issues) and it felt too complicated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

As an ovo-lacto vegetarian, I eat a lot of dairy. I'm still walking around at age 62 after 43+ years of this (and I drank a lot of milk even before veggie-hood). So far, I'm pretty healthy, but I guess there could still be some awful consequence awaiting me when I get old. ;)

I don't like protein bars, but I don't see why there's anything philosophically wrong with them. If you like them, eat them.

A lot of my go-to protein snacks are dairy. Some that aren't are crispy chickpeas, crispy broad beans, dry-roasted soybeans, and hard-boiled eggs (don't leave the eggs in the bottom of your bag too long ;) ). The other things I can think of either don't travel as well in a bag (non-crispy beans) or have more fat (nuts).

If I were not a vegetarian, I'd consider shelf-stable packets of tuna or chicken.

Thank you. I’m not vegetarian but I am very picky with meat and don’t like to eat a ton. Maybe roasted soy beans might work better than the peanuts, with a better protein/calorie ratio. I’ll look into that. Crunchy things are nice.

Eggs are good too. But yes definitely more perishable lol. She also told me not to have more than one egg in a day, and never more than 2x in a week. So I ended up being put off eggs because I was confused about why (I don’t have cholesterol issues) and it felt too complicated.

She gave you advice about eggs that's outdated, as long as you don't have genetic dispositions toward cholesterol problems, anyway. At least that's my understanding. I don't eat a bunch of them, but that's a taste/preference thing.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What don't you like about meat? Have you tried some of the vegetarian alternatives? Veggie burgers are good. Tofu is good if you cook it with a lot of flavor. Morningstar makes a lot of vegetarian products.

Nothing wrong with protein bars though. I usually eat 2 in a day. If you are going to eat them for a protein source, look for ones that have at least 20 g of protein.