Women in their 40s!

Replies

• NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Hey, I'm back on after a hiatus - 46 and I'd be happy as a clam to lose 10, at my ideal weight if I lost 15. Worse than that is I got out of a lifelong exercise habit this last year, and that needs to get fixed. Happy to have friends, one and all - add me!
  • DanaLynne128
    DanaLynne128 Posts: 21 Member
    Hi all, I’m 42. Down some already, but between my divorce and grad school I gained over 40. Feel free to add!
  • Spaffdavidson
    Spaffdavidson Posts: 117 Member
    Hey Ladies!!! Have a fabulous Thursday!! The weekend is almost here :)
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Grammytryingtogetfit Posts: 672 Member
    thadreamer wrote: »
    Why is it so hard to lose in you 40's
    I have to agree with @melissa6771, I'm almost 48 and have lost 49 pounds. You can do it!!!
    If you need inspiration feel free to add me and @melissa6771, she's AWESOME by the way!!

• Grammytryingtogetfit
    Happy Little Friday Ladies!!! Let's smash our goals today!!! Best of Luck to the new ladies here, you can and will accomplish your goals!! :)<3
  • abbyjack2
    abbyjack2 Posts: 25 Member
    I have to agree with @melissa6771, I'm almost 48 and have lost 49 pounds. You can do it!!!
    If you need inspiration feel free to add me and @melissa6771, she's AWESOME by the way!!

I have to agree that it seems like in the 40's the weight doesn't come off as easy as it used to. I am currently 156 lbs and would like to get down to 140 lbs. My first goal is to get down to 150 lbs but I can't seem to get below 155 lbs. At my heaviest I was 161 lbs so I have lost some weight since the beginning of the year, but not as much as I would have liked. I even went alcohol free for the month of January thinking it would help jump start my weigh loss but it got me down to 156 and i have stayed there ever since. Just a little frustrating....
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    abbyjack2 wrote: »

I have to agree that it seems like in the 40's the weight doesn't come off as easy as it used to. I am currently 156 lbs and would like to get down to 140 lbs. My first goal is to get down to 150 lbs but I can't seem to get below 155 lbs. At my heaviest I was 161 lbs so I have lost some weight since the beginning of the year, but not as much as I would have liked. I even went alcohol free for the month of January thinking it would help jump start my weigh loss but it got me down to 156 and i have stayed there ever since. Just a little frustrating....
    Ladies are you using a food scale to measure everything? This is VERY IMPORTANT!!!
    Do you think that going alcohol free is really going to "jump start" the weight loss? I suppose it could, but I have beer, and I'm talking at least 5 every night and I have reached and surpassed my goal weight. If you want it bad enough you can do it, it really boils down to CICO!

• melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited April 2018
    @mom23mangos

I ate the whole pint at once. Reminds me of someone.

v64mgtrtxrju.jpg
    4n1zvslam5bb.jpg
  • e_fou
    e_fou Posts: 23 Member
    I ve noticed a pattern. I can be very good for a while in keeping with my plan and then get very bored of the same foods and give up altogether. Does anyone have a tip for this apart from brain rewiring?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    @mom23mangos

I ate the whole pint at once. Reminds me of someone.

Feels good doesn't it? :wink:

e_fou wrote: »
    I ve noticed a pattern. I can be very good for a while in keeping with my plan and then get very bored of the same foods and give up altogether. Does anyone have a tip for this apart from brain rewiring?

Change up your food! When I'm losing weight I pretty much stick to the same 5 meals per day for a week with dinner changing each night, but change up the menu each week. So one week may look like:

Breakfast: scrambled egg whites with peppers, mushrooms, onion, salsa
    Mid-morning snack: Greek yogurt with chopped berries + low-fat cheesestick
    Lunch - Mediterranean Tuna stuffed peppers with Quinoa
    Mid-day snack: Brisket + green beans and mushrooms + new potatos
    Dinner: Turkey and sausage gumbo, Fish and broccoli, Chicken Marsala + Grilled Asparagus, Grilled Shrimp + Grilled Red Pepper, Onion, Mushrooms
    Evening Snack: Halo Top

Next week may look like:

Breakfast: Protein pancakes with heated up blackberries on top + glass of high protein skim milk
    Mid-morning snack: Raw veggies in Greek Yogurt Dressing
    Lunch - Leftover Soup (soup any leftover meats/veggies)
    Mid-day snack: Halo Top
    Dinner: Cauliflower Chicken Fried Rice, Smothered Pork Chops + Brussell Sprouts, Shrimp Mykonos, etc.
    Evening Snack: GLOP with Tortilla chips

Now when I'm maintaining, I'm much more lax and pretty much just plan one or two meals per day. It might look like this:

Morning: Protein Lemonade
    All-day snack: Sunflower seeds
    Mid-morning snack: Leftover Soup
    Lunch: Salad with chopped lettuce, peppers, onions, capers, pickled okra, artichoke hearts, heart of palm, black olives, low-fat feta, shrimp and Olive Garden low-fat dressing
    Afternoon snack: Halo Top
    Dinner: Same as previous examples
    Evening Snack: chocolate, Lay's sour cream and onion...
  • daisyf717
    daisyf717 Posts: 57 Member
    e_fou wrote: »

I’ve just started reading eat.lift.thrive. And she talks a lot about food and how we try to eliminate so much when really we should be monitoring calories. Of course that means we have to eat nutrient dense ‘healthier’ foods but it also means we have to eat in a way that we can sustain for our lives (not just a diet period).
    With that in mind, substituting lower calorie versions of things that you really want and eating the healthy food that you really like is really important. I love Mexican so I’m always having that. Zoodles and cauliflower rice are really yummy too...
  • daisyf717
    daisyf717 Posts: 57 Member
    @cjack19 told me about the book btw!
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    @daisyf717 that's exactly what I do with all my recipes. If you love Mexican you really should try that enchilada recipe that I posted
  • reeniemc
    reeniemc Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2018
    Hi I would like to join this group too. I never used MFP more than as few days in a row previously as I got bored entering all the details. But I figure it might be better with a community to engage with. I'm age 45 and want to lose around 30 pounds.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    reeniemc wrote: »
    Hi I would like to join this group too. I never used MFP more than as few days in a row previously as I got bored entering all the details. But I figure it might be better with a community to engage with. I'm age 45 and want to lose around 30 pounds.

Try pre-planning and meal-prepping your week in advance. Then you don't have to enter the details every day and you don't have to think about what you are going to eat. Planning in advance really helps you stay on track.
  • thadreamer
    thadreamer Posts: 54 Member
    edited April 2018
    Thank you
    You were inspiring to me. and I am so glad you shared ideas. thank you. people do not realize on here they can be part of saving a life, by helping some get healthy. maybe save them from diabetes, heat attack, stroke, etc... you never know. cause this means people lives... losing weight and getting healthier.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Same age here. Turning 40 was like a switch- just started gaining... Getting a handle on it now... Add me if you like- glad to motivate each other.
  • soufauxgirl
    soufauxgirl Posts: 392 Member
    edited April 2018
    44 years young here. I log daily add me :)