Women in their 40s!

Options

Replies

• erikjacki
    erikjacki Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 41. Just lost 35 lbs and looking to lose 35 more. This second half is definitely harder! Would love to join the group. :)
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Grammytryingtogetfit Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    amyjWitt wrote: »
    I have just turned 48 and I gained a lot of weight on the antidepressant I was taking. I want to lose 50 pounds while still maintaining my improved emotional and mental state. My self esteem has bottomed out recently and I need to begin to accomplish this weight loss so I feel more energetic and proud of myself.
    Welcome, you have come to the right place!!!! This bunch of fabulous ladies are AWESOME!!!!
    Best of luck on your journey!!!
  • taralavis98
    taralavis98 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 41 yo and have 57lbs to lose. I would love the motivation and accountability . Please add me.
  • lakeena01
    lakeena01 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 40 in December! My goal is to lose 70 lbs. It is crazy to know that I can lose that much and I will still be considered overweight. I make small goals to lose 1-2 lbs a week.
  • thadreamer
    thadreamer Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    PLEASE HELP. Having negative thoughts of doubt. Second guessing counting calories. Second guessing myself. Ughhh. I always do this and then quit!!!
  • ThreeLilBirdsFarm
    ThreeLilBirdsFarm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @thadreamer

You are worth the struggles. Fight for yourself. Maybe take the challenge in bite size pieces. Focus on water one week, limit sweets the next. I've tried every diet imaginable. I think diet/nutrition is personal. You will find what works for you. I have faith in that.
  • JustKeepSwimming2008
    JustKeepSwimming2008 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    thadreamer wrote: »
    PLEASE HELP. Having negative thoughts of doubt. Second guessing counting calories. Second guessing myself. Ughhh. I always do this and then quit!!!

I agree with @ThreeLilBirdsFarm . It can be overwhelming to think about ALL the things we could/should do as we work on losing weight and/or being healthy. Try to focus on one goal at a time, maybe one week at a time. Then incorporate another goal the next week while continuing to build on the first, etc.

It's also helpful at times to set mini goals for yourself. For example, if your goal is to lose weight, it may helpful to work towards mini weight loss goals. For me personally, I focus on losing 5 or 10 lbs vs 40 lbs. 5 or 10 lbs seems doable for me and I don't get overwhelmed with that.

And if you have questions, need suggestions, or just need support. We are here to support and help each other. One day at a time...maybe one meal at a time. And that's ok! Just Keep Swimming. You got this!❤
  • e_fou
    e_fou Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    @thadreamer
    I am also a bit unsure of how accurate the calorie counting is but some indication is better than no indication and it helps me understand what foods to avoid or how big the portion should be etc. I also found it difficult to keep going when I have had a bad day but now I just keep going and it is mostly of the encouraging things people say to me here and their own experiences.
    Maybe try to avoid weighing yourself for a few days and as justkeepswiming said make small changes that you can keep to (like not eating late or no sugar for a few days etc etc) and slowly add to them. Good luck and we are all here, with the same struggle, we can do it!
  • yogidani77
    yogidani77 Posts: 6,978 Member
    Options
    I’m 40. I started my weight loss journey about 1 year ago. I’ve lost 30 lbs and am looking to lose at least 20 more. I am looking to prove the age old phrase “you are only as old as you feel” and I do feel much better since I have been eating healthier and exercising. I have one local friend that uses the app and I am looking to connect with others that need motivation and support so add me
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I just turned 40 (eek) and have 15ib to lose. Was very happy with my weight for several years then I started a new job and put 15ib on working late and eating rubbish. Starting a new job in a couple of weeks and determined to lose weight not gain it this time!
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options

I agree with @ThreeLilBirdsFarm . It can be overwhelming to think about ALL the things we could/should do as we work on losing weight and/or being healthy. Try to focus on one goal at a time, maybe one week at a time. Then incorporate another goal the next week while continuing to build on the first, etc.

It's also helpful at times to set mini goals for yourself. For example, if your goal is to lose weight, it may helpful to work towards mini weight loss goals. For me personally, I focus on losing 5 or 10 lbs vs 40 lbs. 5 or 10 lbs seems doable for me and I don't get overwhelmed with that.

And if you have questions, need suggestions, or just need support. We are here to support and help each other. One day at a time...maybe one meal at a time. And that's ok! Just Keep Swimming. You got this!❤

Totally agree with this^^^^. We are all here to support each other through struggles and triumphs!!!!
  • hapamama23
    hapamama23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Don't doubt what you know is right and has been loooooong time proven effective. Don't listen to fads. You've done a great job so far and will continue to get healthy. Focus on something specific today: water intake, getting out into the fresh air, stretching, getting a good night sleep, etc. We all go through funks. The way to get out of it is to keep going. You are strong, you are doing what is healthy for you and you can do it!
  • mblundell2
    mblundell2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, I will be 46 this year. My body changed as soon as I hit 40. Weight instantly went from 120 to 195. Last year I did loose 45 pounds while involved in a biggest looser contest at work. I was the biggest looser and won the contest. We have been doing it again this year. I still have about 15 pounds that I would like to loose, But I seem to be stuck and fluctuating back and forth between the same 7 pounds. The contest is over May 1st. That gives me 4 weeks.Even if I don't win I would like to hit my personal goal by the end of contest.
    I haven't been on here in a while to track my calories or exercise but I really don't think I am over eating. My work has me on my feet a lot but I work so many hours I don't have time to exercise very much. We have had a hard winter this year and I haven't been able to get outside much. My body was used to me walking 2 to 5 miles a day for over 20 years but the job I have had for 3 years now does not allow me time for that anymore. I think that's what caused the weight gain in the first place but there isn't much I can do about that.
    At my age the longer I go without exercise the easier it is to blow it off.
    What works for you ladies? Any help would be appreciated.
  • smith_tl33
    smith_tl33 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I’m 48 and would like to enter my 5th decade strong and 15 lbs lighter. I tend to lose 5 pounds, then become complacent. Developing an exercise routine is tough due to my work and school schedule. I’m looking for motivation and inspiration. I hope this community can help.
  • Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    Welcome new Ladies!!!! You all have made the right choices and this group of Ladies are AWESOME!!! I wish you all the best of luck on your journeys!
  • momjulia101
    momjulia101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I’m also in the 40’s club and couldn’t believe how easy it is to gain weight once 40 crept up! I am getting better about logging but still find myself going over my calories a lot of days. The struggle is real, but glad to see I’m not the only one
  • OatmealBowl
    OatmealBowl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My mom used to tell me to watch out because the weight will find me after my 30s. Was she ever right! It was late 30s for me. Welcome everyone!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    My mom used to tell me to watch out because the weight will find me after my 30s. Was she ever right! It was late 30s for me. Welcome everyone!

Me too. I stayed the same weight from 13 to 35 (pregnancy notwithstanding), then it was a slooow creep of a couple of pounds back and forth, then a fast whoosh after 40. I tell my middle son the same thing. He totally inherited my body composition genes. He's a ripped little Adonis right now and my pickiest eater. Lives off of meat and junk food. We keep warning him it's going to catch up with him....youth (smh).
  • EspirituLibre12
    EspirituLibre12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 40 this year, and I'm excited to reach my health goals!