Jumping Rope to burn calories

Options

Replies

• midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Anyone have some good Youtube or other online jump rope workouts they recommend?
  • cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Anyone have some good Youtube or other online jump rope workouts they recommend?

Here are a few links, they have videos and instructions in them especially the first one.
    http://www.runnersblueprint.com/jump-rope-workout-runners/

http://blog.crossrope.com/why-the-jump-rope-is-the-perfect-fat-loss-tool/
    http://blog.crossrope.com/beginner-jump-rope-workout/
    https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/jump-rope-improve-running-12314.html

• cleesus
    Options
    cleesus wrote: »
    I just ordered a jump rope on Amazon yesterday!

Which kind did you get?

This one. It was like $11 so I hope it's not that bad. I'm sure it's good enough to get me started and if I really like the workouts, I'll get a better one.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SAY9LLC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ahh yea I bought a similar one last week they are pretty good, honestly around $10 is where you will find a lot of the best ropes.

I just got this in today, that site has some pretty good ropes and seems to be a good place to get different types of cables for different types of jump rope training https://www.buyjumpropes.net/elite-pro-freestyle-rope/
  • stuart3727
    stuart3727 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started jumping rope back in the fall. I’ll jump for about 15-20 minutes after a 30 minute elliptical session. I love it! Especially with music blasting in my ear buds. Like anything it takes a little time to build up endurance and skill but now I’m doing cross-overs and double-unders with ease. Lots of YouTube vids to watch and learn from. Check out Crossrope.com. Their ropes are pricey but well worth it -IMO
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Oooh I'm so bad at it! I'm lucky if I can go one minute with just a basic jump :(
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If you love jumping rope master double unders. Took me 2 years (not consistent practice) to master them but I love double unders now. You can then mix up the routine with doubles and singles which really takes time to master and helps massively with muscle control.
  • cleesus
    Options
    stuart3727 wrote: »
    I started jumping rope back in the fall. I’ll jump for about 15-20 minutes after a 30 minute elliptical session. I love it! Especially with music blasting in my ear buds. Like anything it takes a little time to build up endurance and skill but now I’m doing cross-overs and double-unders with ease. Lots of YouTube vids to watch and learn from. Check out Crossrope.com. Their ropes are pricey but well worth it -IMO
    If you love jumping rope master double unders. Took me 2 years (not consistent practice) to master them but I love double unders now. You can then mix up the routine with doubles and singles which really takes time to master and helps massively with muscle control.

I think ill have to get a speed rope before I really get into double unders, I can kinda do them with my current ropes but I'm not great. Ill keep practicing
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    JBApplebee wrote: »
    At 9Round, the jump rope is always station #1. I love it. I sucked big time to start, but now I can go the full 3 minutes without to many screw ups. bbell1985, I don't throw the ropes, but I scream at them sometimes. I get the strange looks when I do that occasionally. Now the trainers want me to do high knees on the rope & I'm barely able to do it the normal way. When it gets warmer, I'm going to practice the high knees because it feels som awkward when I try it now.

I also go to 9Round, we don't always have the jump rope, but we do most of the time. Last week it was the challenge station and we had to do jacks while jumping...I was not so good at that. Some people complain about having round 1 be jump rope all the time, but I personally like it as a warm up.

I was not fond of trying those rope jumping jacks. I want to be able to get the heart rate up, not keep restarting every 30 seconds
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

I think ill have to get a speed rope before I really get into double unders, I can kinda do them with my current ropes but I'm not great. Ill keep practicing

I finally had to give up on double unders, the speed rope hurts when you miss :smiley: That wasn't really why I stopped, it was more because I would get close to being able to do them consecutively that I was trying to do them too often and would end up hurting my foot or my ankle for some reason. The whip marks from the misses were impressive, luckily they didn't stick around.

This double under talk makes me want to work on them again.
  • cleesus
    Options

I finally had to give up on double unders, the speed rope hurts when you miss :smiley: That wasn't really why I stopped, it was more because I would get close to being able to do them consecutively that I was trying to do them too often and would end up hurting my foot or my ankle for some reason. The whip marks from the misses were impressive, luckily they didn't stick around.

This double under talk makes me want to work on them again.

Oh yea i can imagine the pain and marks left lmao, not looking forward to that part
  • cindyj568
    cindyj568 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The pain from the whip marks when practising double unders is too much! Always my right lower arm and shin. I can now do the grand total of 9!! Still someway to go.....
  • bbell1985
    Options
    cindyj568 wrote: »
    The pain from the whip marks when practising double unders is too much! Always my right lower arm and shin. I can now do the grand total of 9!! Still someway to go.....

omg I wouldn't even know where to begin with the double unders. Seems impossible for me.
  • cleesus
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

omg I wouldn't even know where to begin with the double unders. Seems impossible for me.

its easier to perform with speed ropes
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I jump rope.
    It is a really intense workout, and same I sucked at it for a few days but then after doing a bit of reading learned the right techniques, shortened my rope ( I'm only 5'1) and on I went. Used a free small app with jump count and timer.
    I use a non slip yoga mat as cushioning.

Love it
  • cleesus
    Options
    Ardael wrote: »
    I jump rope.
    It is a really intense workout, and same I sucked at it for a few days but then after doing a bit of reading learned the right techniques, shortened my rope ( I'm only 5'1) and on I went. Used a free small app with jump count and timer.
    I use a non slip yoga mat as cushioning.

Love it

Yeah finding an interval timer app helped me a lot. I had a jump count app but it was super outdated
  • slimyouth
    slimyouth Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I jump rope for 30 mins 4, sometimes 5 days a week straight after my weights workout, I did it as a boxer years ago, just to warm up normally, but it is my go to cardio workout now, been at it for about 8 months now and honestly, I feel great, I like a bit of rowing but the rope wins everytime. Check out rush athletics and jump rope dudes on YouTube for tips and workouts.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Damn...I can't go for longer than a minute before I trip up. A month ago I had to double jump though lol. Some progress I guess.
  • cleesus
    Options
    slimyouth wrote: »
    I jump rope for 30 mins 4, sometimes 5 days a week straight after my weights workout, I did it as a boxer years ago, just to warm up normally, but it is my go to cardio workout now, been at it for about 8 months now and honestly, I feel great, I like a bit of rowing but the rope wins everytime. Check out rush athletics and jump rope dudes on YouTube for tips and workouts.

I have been trying to build myself up to doing it more than 3 times a week but between that and running my body cant handle it, its great you jump at that level tho!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options

And the spend ropes leave you with the best whip marks :#
  • cleesus
    Options

And the spend ropes leave you with the best whip marks :#

haha true, I have been wearing hoodies and sweat pants to try and get around it