Vegans or vegetarian

Options
Is there anyone on here that is vegan or vegetarian I have an important question?

Replies

• rahul_007
    rahul_007 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • keviwan
    keviwan Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone on here that is vegan or vegetarian I have an important question?

I am.
  • czechyou
    czechyou Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    meeeee! vegan :)
  • OneofGodsfav
    OneofGodsfav Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey, vegan fam. I'm a newbie to vegan. I convert about 5 months ago and love it!! But I'm having a problem and may you guys can help. Since converting I notice my hair is coming out and handfuls. I don't want to go back to meat dreading I feel so much better so what can I do? Please help!!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hey, vegan fam. I'm a newbie to vegan. I convert about 5 months ago and love it!! But I'm having a problem and may you guys can help. Since converting I notice my hair is coming out and handfuls. I don't want to go back to meat dreading I feel so much better so what can I do? Please help!!!

Are you losing weight or did you just go vegan?
  • fitbit9672
    fitbit9672 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Are you taking a multi vitamin? I’d recommend going to the doc and having them run some labs. If I had to guess I’d say there’s a vitamin deficiency but there could be lots of reasons.
    I’ve been vegan for 7 years & vegetarian for 6 years before that. Had the same issue a few months back and it turned to be very low vitamin D3 ( like from the sun)
    Good luck to you!
  • OneofGodsfav
    Options
    Janejellyroll went vegan
  • OneofGodsfav
    Options
    Fitbit9672 it no I'm not taking a multivitamin could that be the problem
  • OneofGodsfav
    Options
    I take b12 and vitaminD3
  • OneofGodsfav
    Options
    Fitbit9672 i just had my physical done and everything came bk good
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

Usually a sign you may not be getting enough fat or protein. You're clearly missing some kind of nutrients. First step would be to see where you're lacking, and if you don't want to go back to meat find replacements for those nutrients. Multivitamin won't be enough to do it (most are sugar pills anyway).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options

Usually a sign you may not be getting enough fat or protein. You're clearly missing some kind of nutrients. First step would be to see where you're lacking, and if you don't want to go back to meat find replacements for those nutrients. Multivitamin won't be enough to do it (most are sugar pills anyway).

This. Or, if you're losing weight, and losing fast (like more than 1% of your bodyweight per week), it could be too few calories.

Some micronutrient deficiencies could be a factor, but the calories and macros are the first place to look.
  • VeggieBat
    VeggieBat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try taking biotin and just increasing the protien in your meals. I'm vegetarian and I get my protiens for greens and beans for the most part. Even some pastas have a good amount of protien in them that are vegan friendly!
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I take b12 and vitaminD3

vitamin E then?? or if you're not opposed Fish Oil. Like others it sounds to me like you are missing some fat nutrients and/or protein. Do you eat avocados, nuts, seeds? They are calorie dense so be careful. Also, are you losing a lot of weight?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Janejellyroll went vegan

You may find this of interest: https://veganhealth.org/hair-loss/
  • OneofGodsfav
    Options
    Thank guys so much
  • OneofGodsfav
    Options
    Hey you guys I went back and read my food diary and I notice I'm leaving at least 14- 32 protein left. Got to push my protein.
  • pamlorbieski
    pamlorbieski Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough zinc as well. My hair started thinning and I started an extra zinc supplement. It made a big difference.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

This. Or, if you're losing weight, and losing fast (like more than 1% of your bodyweight per week), it could be too few calories.

Some micronutrient deficiencies could be a factor, but the calories and macros are the first place to look.

This.

Under-eating causes micronutrient deficiencies.

Please make sure you're eating enough.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am a vegan gone vegetarian for 8 years, and this screams micronutrient deficiency to me as well. It can be many things, but from my experiences with myself and others I would take a look at magnesium, zinc, vitamin b (all of them, but especially 3, 6, and 12 I think it is) and iron. Also make sure you eat enough fat and protein. At the very least 35g fat per day and 60g protein.