Ladies Who Lift

Options
Lifting Ladies..

How did you overcome your fear of getting out on that gym floor and picking up the barbell?

Currently I go to the gym with two friends, however we have very different fitness goals. Mine is to gain weight and lift HEAVY, another wants to reduce her fat percentage and do a lot of HIIT, and another wants to lose weight and maintain general fitness and prefers cardio...... the problem is I am massively nervous about walking out onto that floor by myself and doing it... but I know that I need to....

I've researched, planned my meals in calorie surplus for weight gain, and sorted out a lifting plan.. I just need to kickstart the whole thing!

What tips do you have for starting out on heavy lifting and for doing so in a heavily male orientated gym? ( where I go the ladies stick to the treadmill for example)

Thank you :)

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Pick a lifting program and just go out there and do it. If you walk in with a plan, you're more likely to do it. I promise you, no one at the gym is watching you or cares (I mean that in a good way!). When I started, no one even talked to/bothered me. Now that I'm outlifting most of the guys, they ask me for advice. You're going to be fine!

ETA plus everything that @quiksylver296 said.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    just do it. there is no easy way. there is no conditioning ...just do it and about the 4th or 5th time you will not even give it another thought
  • jennrobyn3
    jennrobyn3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! You are going to do great. I like what other people said, have a plan, don't be shy to ask for help and have some self confidence! The more you go, the more confidence you gain. When I was in your shoes, something that hadn't occurred to me that I heard another woman say was, most men will be more insecure than you will be. Their thought process will be, "this woman might think I am not strong if I don't lift heavy weights," or "what is this woman thinking about me and my beer gut." Get it? They are probably more concerned about how they appear to you, than you appear to them.

I have found a smile goes along way in life, in or out of the weight room! Go get it girl!
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Not giving a badgers *kitten* about others and concentrating on what I wanted to achieve. No one is really looking at you, they're doing their own thing too.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    jennrobyn3 wrote: »
    Hi! You are going to do great. I like what other people said, have a plan, don't be shy to ask for help and have some self confidence! The more you go, the more confidence you gain. When I was in your shoes, something that hadn't occurred to me that I heard another woman say was, most men will be more insecure than you will be. Their thought process will be, "this woman might think I am not strong if I don't lift heavy weights," or "what is this woman thinking about me and my beer gut." Get it? They are probably more concerned about how they appear to you, than you appear to them.

I have found a smile goes along way in life, in or out of the weight room! Go get it girl!

I'd never thought about that needo before, but now that I know the guys in my gym, I know this is spot on lol
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Honestly, I've been told by men at the gym that I'm the intimidating one, b/c I'm a lady in the weight room. I'm 5'3.

You have a plan, a program, and a gym. Get to it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I think it's like going anywhere new...it's always a little unsettling. I've felt nervous and out of place anytime I've started up at a new gym, and I'm male. You just go and do it...eventually you get a feel for the room and who's who, etc. and it becomes a more comfortable place.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone has said plus going to gym around same time has helped me.. Cuz same ppl, familiar faces, similar goals, and respect.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It can be really helpful to go at a slower time for your first few sessions, so the feeling of being surrounded by people (or having to rush because other people also want the equipment) isn't so intense. The people at the front desk can tell you when it's quieter and when it's packed. Even if you can't completely change your gym schedule forever, taking a few visits at a quieter time of day will help you get oriented to that part of the gym and stop feeling like a total new kid.
  • Amnav
    Amnav Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Humility and vulnerability are a great asset. The more you fail the more people are willing to support you! Be open to feedback and coaching. be sure to focus on quality movement. happy to talk more about this too!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    It can be really helpful to go at a slower time for your first few sessions, so the feeling of being surrounded by people (or having to rush because other people also want the equipment) isn't so intense. The people at the front desk can tell you when it's quieter and when it's packed. Even if you can't completely change your gym schedule forever, taking a few visits at a quieter time of day will help you get oriented to that part of the gym and stop feeling like a total new kid.

Very good point.

5 to 6 p.m. is probably not a good idea. ;)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options

Very good point.

And I was going to post that my gym is quietest between 4-6.
    Mum's are picking up and feeding their children, dads are not off work yet, and those without children are either prepping or eating dinner.

My gym starts filling up again at 6:30 and is packed by 7.

12-2 is 'getting a lunchtime workout in' crowd.

The mornings, except for very early, is a lot of physio and circuit classes.

I hit lucky, the quiet time is my preferred time.

Cheers, h.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Very good point.

And I was going to post that my gym is quietest between 4-6.
    Mum's are picking up and feeding their children, dads are not off work yet, and those without children are either prepping or eating dinner.

My gym starts filling up again at 6:30 and is packed by 7.

12-2 is 'getting a lunchtime workout in' crowd.

The mornings, except for very early, is a lot of physio and circuit classes.

I hit lucky, the quiet time is my preferred time.

Cheers, h.

My gym starts heating up around 5:00. :happy: So, yeah, OP, check with your gym staff to see when the slow periods are.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting weights at home for awhile but got a membership to the gym at the college where I work because it's cheap and they have heavier weights than I do. First time I was a little apprehensive--I'm old (lol) compared to them, and few people over the age of 25 use the facility. But then I realized that no one cares including myself! Go in with a plan, go when it's less busy, do your thing.
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    I do have a massive fear of walking into the gym too, just walking in making me feel too self conscious! But luckily, I do workout at home, and have gotten myself tools so I can lift and lift as heavy as I want to as well. my only problem is not having access to leg press machine. But for you, I think you just pick up a program, check out the form videos on YouTube to make sure you have the moves right and just do it. Maybe listening to some motivational or angry music helps you shut down others, swallow your fear and getting it done.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    exactly what the first post said.... just do it. yeah, i'm not gonna lie, it scared the F out of me to do it for the first time and I was so intimidated, but once you do, you have no problem with it. at least that's how I was
  • Sheluvsbread2much
    Sheluvsbread2much Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of a large gym. It has two floors. The upper floor has cardio and weight lifting machines and the women tend to stay there. Downstairs is where the big guys are and the super fit women. I've always known that I had to lift weights but was scared to go 'down there'. Finally, I said "kitten" it and I went. I chose a not so busy day and I just took my time. The people there aren't thinking about you. In fact, they look at you with respect/admiration. You know what the real deal is. As long as you don't hog the equipment, you're good in their eyes. Now I go downstairs to use the squat rack and get mad if there's a guy in there. I ask how long you going to be???? I'm full of myself now. Go! You'll get used to it before you know it. Don't let this pass you by. I've always regretted not starting sooner. Don't be afraid to walk in. When I see new people come in I don't think much of it and everyone else feels the same. Do it!