I am embarrassingly weak

Options
Hy everyone! Recently I've moved to a new house with an ok gym and I'd like to build a good workout routine there.

The thing is, I'm so embarrassingly weak. Like, I can't do a single push up. I can't do a single hanging leg raise without wanting to vomit. I can't lift more than 3kg in one hand. I'd really like to build some muscle tone and possibly some abs, and generally just become stronger than I am because I'm so ashamed sometimes of being so weak.

It's not that I'm not sporty. I've been active all my life except for the past 2 years, but I've been really good with eating well and avoiding junk food with some seldom running. I still have some cardio endurance left, but no upper body or core strength.

My body doesn't look so weak as it really are.

How do I even begin to build strength and muscle in the gym when I'm so weak I can't even do a single push up or a sinlge leg raise? What body parts should I focus on? What machines should I use? How long my trainings should be at the beginning?

Thanks!

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I was where you were two years ago. I can now do sets of 9 pull-ups, weighted dips, 20+ pushups, full kneeling ab rollout, deadlift almost 2x my weight, etc. Like @JeromeBarry1 said, start where you are, take it slow, make sure you are using proper form and start an established program.

Before I started a program, it helped me to do a 7 minute workout for a few weeks to build up some basic strength and endurance. I used the Cardiio app. There are many beginner programs for you to choose from. You can do something that is mostly bodyweight, or you can do something that is barbell focused. It's up to you. Just pick something that works with what you have and allows you to progress. You will get there!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Pick out a beginner program like New Rules of lifting for women or Strong curves. Start with the weights that you can manage, and each day try and do a little more. If you really wanna do pushups, there are modified ways you can do them until you build up strenghth to do one on the floor. Start by doing them against a wall or counter and slowly lower yourself as you get strong enough to do it on the floor. And hanging knee raises, im sure you can do a knee raise if you are standing, start there.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I think you're being too hard on yourself - pushups are crazy hard (especially for most women - I've been working at it for months now) and strength comes from working at it. I've never tried a hanging leg raise but it looks pretty hard too! If you want to get stronger, pick a progressive lifting program from the list here, start with the smallest weight you can find, and work up from there. I think you will be amazed how quickly you can improve, especially if you're consistent and don't push yourself too hard or get your head tied in knots comparing yourself to other people. Strength is part genetics, part work, and even if you aren't especially gifted in the first part, you can absolutely do the second.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I know a couple ladies who are several years into powerlifting, one who competes, and they both started off lifting soup cans eventually moving up to milk jugs. Pick a program, modify it however you have to and in a couple months you'll feel great seeing how far you've progressed.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I was weaker than that. Everyone is weaker than they “think” they should be and never as strong as they want. You start where you are and go what challenges you. Then you make it a little harder the next week, and s little harder the week after that. Make progress in tiny steps rather than leaps and bounds. Just keep track of your progress. Most people can start with 20-30 min 2-3x week. If that’s too much, then go what you can. Don’t push too hard too fast or you’re likely to get discouraged and injured. Have fun!
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Convict Conditioning by Paul Wade. He starts so basic anyone can do it. You can buy his book or find PDF's online.
  • mikeandcris
    mikeandcris Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    All good advice above. My 2 cents: Do "something" every single day....even if it's just a 30 min walk. Try weights/strength training 3 days a week and cardio-stuff 3 days a week and easy, light fun activity on day 7.
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the adage "Rome was not built in 1 day". All posts above are very good advice. And I will add that consistency (even with very small progress) is the key to anything. Just don't give up and write down everything you do, you would be surprised that when you go back to it in maybe 6 months, you will be like "wow"
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I am super weak too, nothing to be ashamed of. I’ve been sitting on my *kitten* for the last 6 years (desk job). I’ve been going to the gym consistently for the last 8 weeks (before that hasn’t been a regular gym goer for probably 5-6 years) and I’m starting to feel better about myself. I’m up to 95lb squats and 115lb dead lifts. Sounds lame to some but that’s good for me. Find a program and just start where you are, learn good form and you will get stronger. I can’t do a push up either. Push ups are hard lol.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i actually started with a form of yoga, but just meet yourself where you are. start with push ups from the knees, or planks and down into push up positions (reverse push up). do reverse pull ups.

we all had to start some place
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I can do nearly everything in an exercise class : pilates, Barre, Hit, spin, trx, etc.etc.
    Except for toe pushups. I can do a couple perhaps.

A couple years ago I could barely plank let alone side plank.

Now I'm working on building up pushup through knee pushups and i start most days with a 5 min straight plank session rotating throw hands/elbows/sides/one legged etc.

You just need to get into a routine to build up muscle, that's the hardest part.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere. There are plenty of beginners programs for strength building and general physical preparedness (GPP). The good thing is you want to get stronger, so really everything from this point on is going to be progress in comparison.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Start slow and build. It takes time but as you slowly get stronger you think "hey this is really cool". You have to have a routine that you can stick to. Take several weeks off and it's start over time.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a gym membership. Ask at the front desk for a walk-through of the machines, and have the person who helps you show you proper form. Tell them what areas you want to start with, like arms and legs.
    You don't have to develop every single muscle group at the beginning. You can concentrate on starting small.
    Definitely ask to have the weights set very, very low to begin with. There's no shame in starting on the path to improvement. You're miles ahead of where you were when you were doing little exercise at all. That's progress!