Exercise and water retention?

Options
Hi everyone,

I've just in the past week started exercising twice a week not a lot as I haven't exercised for a long while. This week I did a 30 Min bike ride (mostly on flat) and 20 mins step ups yesterday. I know I shouldn't but I weighed myself this morning expecting to see at least a 1lb loss (been a good girl food wise and no I've not been starving myself). I have put on 2lb! Now I'm trying to be rational about it but it's still upsetting...could this be water retention due to exercise I'm not used to? My muscles are aching today. It'd just make me feel better if I could put the number on the scale down to water retention lol.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yep, it'll be water weight if you are sore
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    jepo27 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I've just in the past week started exercising twice a week not a lot as I haven't exercised for a long while. This week I did a 30 Min bike ride (mostly on flat) and 20 mins step ups yesterday. I know I shouldn't but I weighed myself this morning expecting to see at least a 1lb loss (been a good girl food wise and no I've not been starving myself). I have put on 2lb! Now I'm trying to be rational about it but it's still upsetting...could this be water retention due to exercise I'm not used to? My muscles are aching today. It'd just make me feel better if I could put the number on the scale down to water retention lol.

Yes. Its your bodies normal response, its temporary.
  • jepo27
    jepo27 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Phew...I thought so, but so much better hearing it from others lol, thanks x
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Definitely water weight. If you work out consistently the water weight will probably stay on, So that 2lb increase will be your new starting point.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Its water weight. It can hang around for several days.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Definitely water weight. If you work out consistently the water weight will probably stay on, So that 2lb increase will be your new starting point.

No that bit is not true. Because its water weight gain not fat gain.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

Yes, but it has the potential to be persistent water weight, so the water will stick around until rest day, and then come back again after rest day. Depending on exercise intensity, duration of rest, etc. Doesn't mean fat won't still come off as expected though. Just that there may be a mini plateau with water masking other weight loss as the body adjusts.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited April 2018
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

Yes, but it has the potential to be persistent water weight, so the water will stick around until rest day, and then come back again after rest day. Depending on exercise intensity, duration of rest, etc. Doesn't mean fat won't still come off as expected though. Just that there may be a mini plateau with water masking other weight loss as the body adjusts.

Wasn't the case for me nor a whole lot of other MFP friends...
    edited to add: of course it might happen for someone who doesn't exercise consistently i.e just now and again.

Our weight continually fluctuates, that's how our bodies works. That's why using a trending weight app helps us cut through the ups and downs and see that the average is where it should be.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

Not necessarily. We adapt to our exercise our bodies ability to adjust and maintain water weight induced through exercise get better. Mini plateaus are not a thing. We, especially women are fluctuating 24/7. All the things that cause fluctuations i.e. dietary, hydration, glycogen replenishment, muscle repair, 2 times during our cycle (ovation and menses) are all causes that are prevalent on any given day.
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I can attest that it is water weight. I worked out a little harder at the gym On Saturday and Sunday and only showed a .5 pound loss for the week when I am usually 1.5. I was sore and figured it was water weight. Sure enough, I step on the scale this morning and I am down 2 more pounds. It is hard but if you know you are doing things right trust the system. Good luck!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Heh, maybe I'm just special then. I always get a whoosh if I take 2 rest days in a row (which is rare). Even when I'm maintaining. Comes back when I work out again. (When compared to my daily trend line, because I do weigh and plot daily. N=1, etc.)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is where I love the math. Unless you ate a surplus of 7000 kcals in that time, then it isn't fat.

Water weight gain is a normal reaction of your body to stressful stimulation. Nearly any hormonal shift results in increased cellular uptake (water weight), but this goes away within a matter of 5-7 days. 16 oz of water weighs about 1 lb.

My water weight fluctuates ~5lbs throughout a normal day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Muscles aching = inflammation = water retention

Also, when in doubt, do the math.
  • michaelwyatt8262
    michaelwyatt8262 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    the best way to get an "accurate" weight is to weight once a week, preferably after 8 hours of fasting (waking up from sleep is best way to accomplish this). Your weight is going to wildly flux from day-to-day.
  • jepo27
    jepo27 Posts: 56 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I always weigh myself first thing in the morning

Also....I'm rubbish at math :s:p
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I always weigh myself first thing in the morning

Also....I'm rubbish at math :s:p

3500 calories over maintenance is 1 Lb...so to gain 2 Lbs you would have had to eat 7,000 calories over your maintenance calories and I think you'd be hard pressed to do that in a week if you're actively dieting. Even if you weren't actively dieting, it would be quite the gorge fest.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    the best way to get an "accurate" weight is to weight once a week, preferably after 8 hours of fasting (waking up from sleep is best way to accomplish this). Your weight is going to wildly flux from day-to-day.

Disagree. It is no more "accurate" a weight just because it happens on the day of the week you usually check. I agree with weighing in the morning, but you're going to get just as much random fluctuation in a weekly weigh in as a daily one. You'll just see fewer data points so it will be tougher to see a trend versus fluctuation.

For example, my weight the past week was 161 160.6 160.4 162 161 164 165. Weighing daily I know that I have some extra water weight the past 2 days, but my "accurate" weight is probably around 161-162ish. If I had only weighed in last week at the first 161 and today at 165 I might be more freaked out. If last week's weight had been abnormally low for me, like 158, then it would look like I had gained even more in a week.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,991 Member
    Options
    I can experience those fluctuations on days when I'm sore after a workout and I've been at the gym regularly since November.

At first, when starting a new workout routine, it can take a few WEEKS for things to even out, but when they do, I get a big "woosh" on the scale. My trend app that I started using in January really reflects this effect as I can see my weight fluctuate up and down around a certain level, then a few weeks later a woosh, and then the fluctuations up and down around that new level for several weeks, then another little woosh.

The trend app really helps with these things for me!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options

Do explain the nonsensical biomechanics of how water changes to not water?

Do explain how you managed to get a starting weight that totally disregarded water.