Replies

• sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    nice, thanks for posting!!
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    not sure why they would pick that point as the point to meausure at the waist

note, i measure waists for a living
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    my waist should be 31.5 inches? then i still have a ways to go. last i checked, i was 35.5 inches....
    if every 5 lbs will lose me an inch...."only" 20 lbs to go :oO
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Interesting!!
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    dang! Its not working for me! (the site)
  • bubbab666
    Options
    not sure why they would pick that point as the point to meausure at the waist

note, i measure waists for a living

So do I and the belly button is pretty much the standard[ which is about where the article describes], for the last 20 years that i've been doing it. I'm a personal trainer and nutritional consultant. If you are talking about pants and stuff that's totally different. But ya, even if you take a look at most skinfold sites there is an umbilical site because of its high association with fat.
  • lookpretty
    Options
    I measre two places, I measure fat lost, so I measure the fattiest place above the belly button and below or at if thats where fat sits on the body, i have no interest in their bony part
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @ lookpretty,,,would you please post here the "proper" way to waist-measure? Thanks!
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    alright then!!!
  • lookpretty
    Options
    There are several ways to measure your waist, a very valuable tool though is a tension controlled tape measure, gnc sells them, this will help you are consistently measuring with the same amount of stress on the tape

the way to measure another body and your own is different, you can measure your belly button, you can pick the thickest part of your waist, you can use the thickest part above umbilicus, below and at, but measure the same place with the same amount of tension on the tape, the measurements are useless otherwise, consistent accuracy of A place is more important than what place you measure
  • bubbab666
    Options
    I measre two places, I measure fat lost, so I measure the fattiest place above the belly button and below or at if thats where fat sits on the body, i have no interest in their bony part

Ah see, the bony parts they mention are for landmarking the gut midpoint, not measuring.
  • lookpretty
    Options

Ah see, the bony parts they mention are for landmarking the gut midpoint, not measuring.

but my fat part isnt anywhere near the middle point between those two, that assumes the proportions will lie correctly within that range, thats silly
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Why don't they take into account height? I'm 5'9" and I'm definitely going to have a higher waist circumference than a 5'1" woman who is proportional to me, just smaller.. sorry it's hard to explain but I think you get my point.
  • lookpretty
    Options
    yes waist circumferance is nonsense, as is weight, as is weight to height, what is becoming more popular is waist to hip ratio
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    What I found interesting was that the dangers to health posed by the "apple" shape greatly varied according to your ethnicity, how that affected the likelihood of disease. I once met a pathologist at a party who said that people die from their bad habits.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I also liked how the waist information can help me set a weight goal. If, as the article states, one has to loose 5 lbs to get rid of an inch around the waist, I can use the difference between my measurments and the optimal measurment to calculate how much I need to lose to have the least visceral fat around the organs, hence reduce to its lowest risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes.

It's just one more incentive!