I know this has been asked a million times before! Sorry!

Options
First let me apologise as I know people are probably sick of similar questions being asked.

I’m currently 11 stone 4 and I’m 5 foot 6

I’m currently eating 1700 calories with a deficit of 500 calories through exercise.

Should I be eating those 500 back? Or not? I’ve heard so many different things.

I’m hoping to lose 1lb a week.

Blood tests revealed I may have an under active thyroid hence why I’m struggling to shift the weight. (I’m due for another test to finally confirm) With an already sluggish metabolism. I don’t want to compromise it more by under eating and slowing my metabolism further.

Thanks all :)

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Try eating back half and see how you do. If you're losing where you should be, stick with that. If you seem to be consistently (like after a month) losing too much, eat more. If you aren't losing enough, before you cut calories, you might want to see if your logging can be tightened up. Are you weighing your food currently?
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Is that 1700 from MFP? Did you tell it you wanted to lose, or to maintain?

The thyroid affects weight less than you might think in most cases and it's easily treated.
  • rach__b
    rach__b Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :) yes I weigh my food religiously. In the past 2 years I’ve gained a good 2 stone without changing my eating habits. Which is why I’m thinking it may be a thyroid issue. Urgh :(
  • rach__b
    Options
    It’s a formula I used from the insanity workout nutrition book. Worked well for me a few years back and now for the past few months, I haven’t shifted any pounds. I just don’t understand why. I’m doing the math and it I’m not seeing results
  • rach__b
    Options
    I just did it now based on a 1.5lb loss a week. It’s stating 1300 calories daily. So should I continue eating 1700 calories a day and burning 400 at the gym? Some people are saying to eat back the calories burned through exercise? Clearly this would take me out of the deficit I’m trying to create. Haha awhh jeeez! Utterly confusing!

rach__b wrote: »
    It’s a formula I used from the insanity workout nutrition book. Worked well for me a few years back and now for the past few months, I haven’t shifted any pounds. I just don’t understand why. I’m doing the math and it I’m not seeing results

Have you tried putting your stats in to MFP to get a calorie goal for weight loss? This will be a deficit even before you add extra exercise - doing exercise will earn you more calories.

• rach__b
    Options
    Thank you Roxie! Makes more sense now
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I just did it now based on a 1.5lb loss a week. It’s stating 1300 calories daily. So should I continue eating 1700 calories a day and burning 400 at the gym? Some people are saying to eat back the calories burned through exercise? Clearly this would take me out of the deficit I’m trying to create. Haha awhh jeeez! Utterly confusing!

Have you tried putting your stats in to MFP to get a calorie goal for weight loss? This will be a deficit even before you add extra exercise - doing exercise will earn you more calories.

Base it on 1lb a week, which is what you stated was your goal in your original post.
    Eat back exercise calories, but understand that these can be overinflated (by mfp, by machines etc) and that many people recommend only eating back a portion of their exercise cals.