Is This too Much Food?

Options
Hi. I have been in anorexia recovery for 5 1/2 years. Recently, within the past week and a half, I started eating more. I can physically feel and see myself getting bigger since I increased my caloric intake. I am a healthy weight - 5'5 and 115 lbs (now 117). Personally, I don't think what I am eating should cause me to gain weight, but clearly I am not able to maintain on more than 1500/1600 calories. Can you please provide feedback about why you think I am gaining weight? Do you think I eat too much? I am sedentary and the only activity that I do is school work and mainly sitting. I am not active.

Breakfast:
1 cup Golean cereal (160 cal)
2 egg whites
1 cup strawberries
coffee w/ fat free cream

Snack:
1 1/2 cup of spaghetti squash
1 carrot

Lunch:
A can of tuna (120 cal) or 4 oz of grilled chicken in either a salad or an 80-cal wrap.
1 Greek yogurt (80 cal)

Dinner:
5 oz meat (usually grilled chicken, shrimp, salmon, swordfish, etc - no red meat)
1 medium summer squash (steamed)
1 medium zuchinni (steamed)
1 cup spaghetti squash

Snack:
1/2 Golean cereal (80 cal) or air-popped popcorn
1 Greek Yogurt (80 cal)

Note: Twice per week I have been challenging myself with an egg white omelette made with broccoli and squash but still have strawberries and coffee. If I have an egg white omelette in the morning, I will have 1 cup of golean cereal and 1 greek yogurt at night.

Replies

• saraclark62
    saraclark62 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    so here's the day - weight will fluctuate - being up 2lbs doesn't mean that you have gained fat - but with your history of an eating disorder, you need to talk to your treatment team about this, tracking food/weighing yourself may not be recommended if it causes you to relapse

Do you think I am gaining actual fat? I don't understand. I physically feel and look heavier.
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    And sometimes it takes a while for bodies in recovery from severe food restriction to learn to function "normally". Sometimes you may even gain BECAUSE you aren't getting enough calories (your body is feeling like it will never get enough and so has learned to slow everything way down in order to try to preserve). Please talk to your professional care team and make sure you are doing okay. It may not be advisable for you to be weighing yourself right now. Sometimes, nurturing yourself, eating wholesome meals, meditating, just being very kind to yourself may be the best strategy.
  • saraclark62
    saraclark62 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    And sometimes it takes a while for bodies in recovery from severe food restriction to learn to function "normally". Sometimes you may even gain BECAUSE you aren't getting enough calories (your body is feeling like it will never get enough and so has learned to slow everything way down in order to try to preserve). Please talk to your professional care team and make sure you are doing okay. It may not be advisable for you to be weighing yourself right now. Sometimes, nurturing yourself, eating wholesome meals, meditating, just being very kind to yourself may be the best strategy.
    sarahbums wrote: »
    there's no way you've gained 2lbs of fat in such a short time. That would require 7,000 calories above your maintenance level, and that couldn't have happened at just 1600 calories a day.

As I and other posters in your other threads have pointed out, it's just water weight. I know it's scary, and it DOES go away eventually, but you have to stay consistent and make sure you're getting enough calories. And it's possible you still may not be getting enough calories to properly recover- that's why it's so important that you speak to a professional who can help you with a meal plan and get you the emotional support you need.

Thank you for your thoughtful reaponses .2 questions; 1. Am i eating too Much?
    Question 2- do u think 5’5 and 11(5 llb is better or 5’5 130
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your thoughtful responses. 2 questions; 1. Am i eating too Much?
    Question 2- do u think 5’5 and 11(5 llb is better or 5’5 130

For me, that would actually be too little food. My TDEE. with exercise (I walk 5K/5 days a week) is around 1900-2000 calories. (I'm just under 5'2".) Everyone has different needs, and even when you use a TDEE calculator, you have to tweak your recommendation to get it right for you. As for the right weight for you, there is no way anyone can know what a healthy weight for you is, especially with your medical history. We're not trying to be mean, but you've got to be really careful about taking advice from strangers on the web. Focus on eating good, healthy foods, throw your scale in the dumpster if you have to, and keep your focus on being healthy. Honestly, the best decision I've made thus far in my journey was deciding to stop weighing myself every day. Nowadays, I'm lucky if I remember to do it once a month, because I've realized that a number on the scale isn't important.