Coffee

Options
Hi guys,
New to my fitness pal so bare with me!!! I have coffee with no sugar and little drop of milk. How do I add this? Can’t see no option for no sugar etc???

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Coffee has roughly 1-2 calories per cup, milk needs to be weighed. If you drink 5 cups of coffee or fewer, it's safe to ignore the coffee part and just log your milk by weight.
  • mikejayne80
    mikejayne80 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    This is the entry I use for coffee:

Coffee - Brewed from grounds

It includes serving size options of cups, fluid ounces, and grams. It includes data (from USDA database) for the potassium in coffee, as well as the trace amounts of sodium, calcium, and protein.

For your milk you need to look for an entry that matches the fat content of the milk that you use.
    USDA-based entries with both volume and mass (grams) options for serving size should be in the format

Milk, [whole/reduced/low/non] fat, fluid, [3.25/2/1] % fat

but I think some of them have disappeared from the main database. For those of us who logged good entries before they disappeared or got corrupted in the great database eff-up of 2014 (?? - just going from memory - maybe it was 2015), we can still use them from our recent or frequent foods, or by digging back in our diaries and copying meals.

Anyway, assuming you're from the U.S. (... double-checks OP for any obvious non-U.S. vocabulary or syntax ... nope, no glaring kilos or stones or mince or semi-skimmed ... ) you might want to compare whatever milk entry you use to the data here. (I imagine different countries might have different standards for fat percentages for milk that uses different label -- I've no idea what semi-skimmed translates to in the U.S. And even "whole" milk doesn't necessarily mean the same thing, as cows produce milk at different fat percentages, depending on breed, diet, time of year, and probably length of time since calving).
  • Devil_Dawg
    Devil_Dawg Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I use monk packets
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I don't log coffee, but I do log what goes in it. I measure milk in cups (or use my milk frother - I know if I fill it to the line it's half a cup)
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms has lots of different creamers that are 0 calories...I love the mocha and French vanilla
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I log my coffee with Fresh Brewed - Coffee (Black) because it includes potassium.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    As a future tip...try to separate your logs based on ingredients in the meal and not the meal itself for example instead of searching for "cheeseburger", you'd searched for "raw ground round", "American cheese", "iceberg lettuce", "mayo", "ketchup", "tomato" etc.

You'll be much more accurate and a lot of those generic entries are personal recipes people input so you really have no idea what's being added or the weight of each item.
  • Mschmitt1119
    Mschmitt1119 Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I find the brand of coffee and add everything separate so if I add anything and don’t know exacts I estimate. So like for a splash of milk do like 1/8 of a cup or you can just use a measuring cup if u want to be exact for the coffee just find the brand and find out how many fluid oz you're making
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    I find the brand of coffee and add everything separate so if I add anything and don’t know exacts I estimate. So like for a splash of milk do like 1/8 of a cup or you can just use a measuring cup if u want to be exact for the coffee just find the brand and find out how many fluid oz you're making

"Brand" is pretty much irrelevant if we're talking about coffee that one brews oneself from grounds, and for which one is measuring milk and sweetener separately. Coffee is coffee, and if one manufacturer chooses a bean and a roasting method that makes it more likely that standard brewing will give you 2.5 kcals per cup instead of 2, what does it matter? Your choice of brewing method will probably have a bigger effect than the beans you buy, and it still wouldn't be worth worrying about.