Determined!

Options
Hey everyone! My name is Brianna and I am on a major weight loss journey! I’ve been trying really hard over the years to lose weight but about 15 days ago, something just clicked in my head and I found resolve and motivation that I’ve never had before. I’ve lost almost 8 pounds since starting my diet and I am so proud of myself. I know it’s not much but it’s a start! I started with my diet and now I’m going to start adding in exercise to continue getting where I want to be! If you have an exercise regime suggestions or anything, please let me know! Good luck to everyone! :)

Replies

• johnw83
    johnw83 Posts: 6,219 Member
    Options
    hi hun have u tryed indoor cycling classes great for weight loss hi i am john
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    8 pounds is a great start! Don't think of it as "not much".
    As far as exercise goes, find an activity you love doing and you'll stick with it, whether its walking, dancing, or cycling. Personally I find running soul-destroying, so I don't do it. You should look into a bit of weight training which will be good for your muscle tone.
    Small steps lead to big strides. Take it one day at a time, and don't expect overnight miracles.
  • eznowjo
    eznowjo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    8 pounds is great going.. I'm on my first week. Of dieting and exercise and I have lost 3 pounds so far..
  • mxjasperm
    mxjasperm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Every little victory adds up over time. 8 lbs is very great start. Keep it up!

It sounds like you're doing this gradually, starting with your diet, then adding exercises to supplement that change. I have done a similar thing myself. I'm am re-transitioning back to a strictly plant based diet, and slowly adding more/increasing the intensity of my current routines as I become more active.

This is my current routine, if you want to try any of these out:

Right now I walk 11,000-15,000 steps almost everyday.

I practice daily 10-20 minute yoga sessions to re-develop my upper body and flexibility.

I have also recently added weight lifting that focuses on my core and lower body to further strengthen those muscles. Nothing too heavy yet, however; I'm starting easy so my body can adjust more efficiently.

Before, during, and after every exercise I make sure to stretch, not only to warm up my muscles and keep them relaxed while I work out, but to also help cool them down.

I always make sure to consume 1-1.5 liters of just drinking water everyday (this is usually downed during my walk. I average about 2-3 hours of walking every day at a speed range of 2.5-3.5 mph). The remaining .5-1 liters come from other drinks, as well as the foods I eat like oranges or leafy greens. This gives me a total daily water consumption of around 2 liters.

Before the end of August, I want to average 15,000-20,000 steps almost everyday, as well as re-incorporate freestyle dance, belly dancing, and running into my weekly regimen. I also want to practice more yoga, and create a more intensive weight lifting routine as I work to improve my isolation techniques.

I hope my routine gives you some ideas of what you want to do for your own routine in the coming weeks and months.

I'm always looking for fellow MFP members to communicate with. Feel free to shoot me messages if you want to correspond regularly.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    As far as exercise goes, find an activity you love doing and you'll stick with it, whether its walking, dancing, or cycling. Personally I find running soul-destroying, so I don't do it. You should look into a bit of weight training which will be good for your muscle tone.
    Small steps lead to big strides. Take it one day at a time, and don't expect overnight miracles.

This^

I would start exercise by looking up YouTube workouts. Tons of different things to try. You can figure out what you like as you build fitness.

I like Walk At Home and Jessica Smith TV.

Exercise is going to be a very small part of weight loss, but who wants to be flabby and out of shape when we get there.
  • BriG1015
    BriG1015 Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    johnw83 wrote: »
    hi hun have u tryed indoor cycling classes great for weight loss hi i am john

I have not tried that! I’m from a smaller town so our little gym doesn’t really offer classes. But I am willing to keep looking!
  • BriG1015
    Options
    mxjasperm wrote: »
    Every little victory adds up over time. 8 lbs is very great start. Keep it up!

It sounds like you're doing this gradually, starting with your diet, then adding exercises to supplement that change. I have done a similar thing myself. I'm am re-transitioning back to a strictly plant based diet, and slowly adding more/increasing the intensity of my current routines as I become more active.

This is my current routine, if you want to try any of these out:

Right now I walk 11,000-15,000 steps almost everyday.

I practice daily 10-20 minute yoga sessions to re-develop my upper body and flexibility.

I have also recently added weight lifting that focuses on my core and lower body to further strengthen those muscles. Nothing too heavy yet, however; I'm starting easy so my body can adjust more efficiently.

Before, during, and after every exercise I make sure to stretch, not only to warm up my muscles and keep them relaxed while I work out, but to also help cool them down.

I always make sure to consume 1-1.5 liters of just drinking water everyday (this is usually downed during my walk. I average about 2-3 hours of walking every day at a speed range of 2.5-3.5 mph). The remaining .5-1 liters come from other drinks, as well as the foods I eat like oranges or leafy greens. This gives me a total daily water consumption of around 2 liters.

Before the end of August, I want to average 15,000-20,000 steps almost everyday, as well as re-incorporate freestyle dance, belly dancing, and running into my weekly regimen. I also want to practice more yoga, and create a more intensive weight lifting routine as I work to improve my isolation techniques.

I hope my routine gives you some ideas of what you want to do for your own routine in the coming weeks and months.

I'm always looking for fellow MFP members to communicate with. Feel free to shoot me messages if you want to correspond regularly.

That’s awesome! With my job, I average around 11,000 steps per night and I double my move ring on my Apple Watch every night just from folding laundry and running around taking care of guests ( I’m a AGM at a local hotel). Like you said, I’m trying to do things gradually as to not overwhelm my body. I’m looking into trying some Zumba since I love to dance and then i was going to gradually work up from couch to 5k. It’s been my dream to run a half marathon at Disney. I know that’s a long way off but I really want to do it! Plus I am tired of looking in the mirror and not liking what I’m seeing so it’s time to change that! I appreciate your input and would love to follow your journey as well!
  • BriG1015
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

This^

I would start exercise by looking up YouTube workouts. Tons of different things to try. You can figure out what you like as you build fitness.

I like Walk At Home and Jessica Smith TV.

Exercise is going to be a very small part of weight loss, but who wants to be flabby and out of shape when we get there.

Both of you have very good points! I know it’s not going to happen overnight but I’ve already noticed little things and it makes it all worth while! I’ve been YouTube-ing Zumba videos and things like that because I love to dance and to me that’s a great work out. I always used to challenge myself on the Wii during Just Dance on the expert level of Just Sweat. I eventually want to get into weight training so that I can start toning my muscles. Thank you both for the advice! :smiley:
  • BriG1015
    Options
    eznowjo wrote: »
    8 pounds is great going.. I'm on my first week. Of dieting and exercise and I have lost 3 pounds so far..

That’s awesome! Congratulations! I swear every time I see I lost a pound or two on the scale, I’m unbelievably happy all day long!
  • layandal
    layandal Posts: 11 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Awesome! I finally got the hang on it end of last year. I only did loose 6kg until now though, since I got sick for three months. Need to loose 10-15kg still.
    I like running on the elliptical trainer. It's joint-gentle and trains the whole body. I watch YouTube videos or movies while doing it.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It takes that determination and mental click to get it done. 8 pounds is a great start, you are on your way! Best of luck to you.

I mostly stick to biking and zumba/dance workouts. I do 30 minutes as often as possible, at least 3 days a week but try for 5. It all just depends on the kiddo and our schedule but it is much more than I usually did (nothing lol), so I'm happy with any I can manage.
  • Ari_Gold
    Ari_Gold Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    8lbs Your off to the races. Thats a great start. Dont think that is nothing cause 8lbs is alot. I thought I would never loose weight after what happened to me but I am 4 months in to my diet and 3 weeks in on going to the gym and I am over 50 lighter. I hate cardio I really do I hate to run but you really dont need the gym if you dont want it. You can start just by taking walks. Believe it or not if you take a walk for an hour you can burn a couple hundred calories and sometimes more if your walking uphill. Start slow dont just kill yourself by trying to run a mile or two. Eventually you will get up there if you want it. Watch what you eat and keep control over your diet and if you add some exercise you will watch those pounds disappear just remember nothing happens over night. I believe you can do it and if you need support or have any questions feel free to contact me. I'll send you a friend request so we can stay in touch. Get it girl you can do this.
  • BriG1015
    Options
    8lbs Your off to the races. Thats a great start. Dont think that is nothing cause 8lbs is alot. I thought I would never loose weight after what happened to me but I am 4 months in to my diet and 3 weeks in on going to the gym and I am over 50 lighter. I hate cardio I really do I hate to run but you really dont need the gym if you dont want it. You can start just by taking walks. Believe it or not if you take a walk for an hour you can burn a couple hundred calories and sometimes more if your walking uphill. Start slow dont just kill yourself by trying to run a mile or two. Eventually you will get up there if you want it. Watch what you eat and keep control over your diet and if you add some exercise you will watch those pounds disappear just remember nothing happens over night. I believe you can do it and if you need support or have any questions feel free to contact me. I'll send you a friend request so we can stay in touch. Get it girl you can do this.
    Thank you! I hate to run too. With a passion but I really want to do a Disney marathon. Makes sense right?
  • Ari_Gold
    Ari_Gold Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You can do whatever you wanna do. You can be whatever you wanna be. Just go out and get it. Don't make excuses why you cant do it just get it done otherwise you will never reach your goals and never be successful. You seem like you can do it. I believe in you. Now go get it.
  • daniel_philippe
    daniel_philippe Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi Brianna, welcome to MFP! :)

You should be very proud of yourself for losing 8 pounds. It is a great start and keep up the great work.

What has helped me with weight loss is drinking more water as well as eating more fruits and vegetables.

I have lost between 30-35 pounds in the past 11 months.

If you would like, you are more than welcome to add me. I'm relatively new to MFP as well! :)

Daniel
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Welcome! We all had those click moments at one point that brought us here i believe. Great job so far. Sorry if its been said i only read the first few posts, And i dont mean to be discouraging, Just feel this should be said. 8 Pounds is great. BUT its also really fast in the begining. It will slow down and steady out in a few weeks, I want you aware thats normal and okay. Alot of water weight/food weight is lost in the beginning, Dont want you stressing or discouraged when the losses become slower. Its how it should be.

Keep that determination flame lit it will take you where you want to be. Be kind to yourself, Dont force yourself to do things you hate (not all the time anyway a little uncomfortableness can be good lol) Fuel and move your body.

You got this.