For anyone with anxiety issues. And for those that don't, an

Options

Replies

• daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I've heard from a lot of people that anxiety isn't a "real" issue, or that it's not a physical issue, only a psychiatric one. While technically it is true that it's not purely physical, it can damn sure cause a lot of physical problems. I personally suffer from very severe anxiety, and for a long time it stopped me from doing things because I couldn't. For almost the entire month of July starting July 1st, of this year, I couldn't even go to work, walk up stairs to my apartment, or go to class without nearly passing out. I was hospitalized for 4 days because of it after I fainted at work, and it started to effect the way my heart was functioning (it was beating erratically, and going from dangerously low heart rate, to dangerously high--just when I was sleeping!) I now take Paxil every day(yes, I am aware of the controversy about it, but I am happy with it) and I feel so much better. I am finally able to do things I wasn't able to do for a while. Does anyone else suffer from anxiety, medicated or not? Has anyone ever told you it's not a "real" problem? This is just kind of a support group for the ones of us that have to deal with it, and if anyone that doesn't have a problem with it, feel free to comment anyway :)

I was diagnosed with anxiety 9 years ago and have probably suffered from it for most of my life. It very much is a "real" issue. I was also hospitalized because of it for nearly 2 weeks. I take clonazepam and it is pretty well controlled most of the time except when I am really stressed. Sometimes it is hard to be in large crowds, sometimes just walking into Walmart. My physical symptoms can range from tense muscles to heart palpitations to stomach problems, etc. I don't tell most people that I meet about it so I've never had anyone tell me it's not a "real" problem. To help me calm down I find deep breathing, listening to music (especially ocean/trickling water sounds), going outside and walking to be very helpful. If you are starting up a support group I would love to be part of it!!

I also have a fear of throwing up. I have a drawerful of antibacterial stuff!!
  • StormChaser217
    StormChaser217 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes I have anxiety and panic attacks . I also suffer from depression and ocd .
    I have to try and stay busy to help me with the depression . I am agoraphobic ( don't like to be very far from home or not go out at all ) . I do take medicines for this at this time I am taking 2 different antidepressants and two antianxiety drugs . ( Wellbutrin , Lexapro , Buspar , Gabipentin . They help , but I have had medicines to wear off after a while and then you have to have them adjusted or changed . I have been in the hospital for this before . I am not ashame to say that I have these problems .
    I read books about this , I am reading one right now about ocd . I see a councilor and doctor about this .
    I even stopped driving for a long time . I drive now , but cannot drive out of town .
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have severe anxiety issues, am manic depressive and suffer from bipolar disorder, all of which I was diagnosed with when I was 8. I too was put on paxil and was on it for about 6 years until I decided to stop taking it. I suffered such horrible withdrawl symptoms I actually won a lawsuit against the company. Be careful with that one. It works amazingly but its hard to quit. I am no longer taking any medication for my "issues" although I do believe I should be on something for my anxiety. It seems to have gotten really bad lately. Anxiety is definitely a physical issue. I've suffered from it for most of my life. From having panic attacks over what seems to be nothing, to getting F's in school because I was too freaked out to give presentations or book reports. People who think its not a physical condition, ovbiously don't suffer from it. Idiots!
  • routerguy666
    Options
    I let the docs play pharmaceutical roulette with me, spent a year living like a zombie and two weeks of absolute mental armageddon kicking the meds.

Panic attacks are the worst, but I'm mostly clear of them. What worked for me was a book, and while I felt like a complete loser wandering through the self-help aisle to pick it up, I'd recommend the book Don't Panic to anyone going through this.

It takes a lot of retraining your mind, consciously talking to yourself in your head and nipping the panic feelings in the bud when they hit, but eventually you can get through it and back to 'normal'. Check the book out, it can't hurt.
  • katloaf
    katloaf Posts: 26
    Options
    I have an anxiety disorder - diagnosed 9 months ago.

I can't go to a bank, use a credit card, go to a customer service desk, hairdresser, dentist...anything. I won't talk on the phone. I have no real friends, and haven't done since I was 15 because I freak out at social interaction. I've never been invited to parties or out with friends since I was a teenager. I can't drive because I get panic attacks at just the thought of being behind the wheel.

Physically, my heart races really fast, and I get very nauseous and dizzy with hot flushes. Right now, I'm sitting at my desk, with a new bicycle I want to ride - but I'm terrified of riding outside. I'm convinced everyone is going to stop and laugh at me. I wish I could just snap out of it. I did manage one ride this week, but I was so paranoid that I hated every minute of it.
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I let the docs play pharmaceutical roulette with me, spent a year living like a zombie and two weeks of absolute mental armageddon kicking the meds.

Panic attacks are the worst, but I'm mostly clear of them. What worked for me was a book, and while I felt like a complete loser wandering through the self-help aisle to pick it up, I'd recommend the book Don't Panic to anyone going through this.

It takes a lot of retraining your mind, consciously talking to yourself in your head and nipping the panic feelings in the bud when they hit, but eventually you can get through it and back to 'normal'. Check the book out, it can't hurt.

Thanks for the book recommendation. I just ordered from paperbackswap.com
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with anxiety and depression, medicated, years of musical meds until we finally found something that works for me and stays working. These days my major attacks are phobia related, but I do get minor attacks still on a weekly basis, but those I simply work through. I've never been hospitalised for either anxiety or depression, but I have had two breakdowns that kept me homebound for weeks.

Skimming the reading, I noticed someone suggesting St. John's Wort. There's a possible side effect with SJW that I think is worth noting. Usually it's listed a 'vivid dreams'. Of people I've spoken to who've experienced this side effect, and my psych, they should add in the word 'violent'.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have depression & anxiety, but both tend to manifest themselves as extreme irritability in me. I'm much more likely to be angry and easily flustered than actually SAD. And possibly a mild case of PTSD. There's things that trigger anxiety attacks in me, and hospital noises (beeping of machines) is a big one. Any kind of alarm - car alarm, security alarms in stores - sets me on edge.

Recognizing an attack for what it is helps a lot. I can somehow separate myself from the condition and talk myself down. It sounds really silly, but telling myself, "Don't panic, it's just your anxiety," calms me.

Maybe it's similar to how, as an allergy sufferer, I learned to tell the difference between the sneezing and runny nose of allergies vs that of a cold. I've learned to tell the difference between something that triggered my "fight or flight" feeling, vs a real and present need to fight or flee.

I've been able to stop taking my antidepressant, but I still take Xanax. But if I don't get enough physical activity in, I get edgy. Any more than two days without a big workout, and I'm a basket case.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with panic disorder about 12 years or so ago.. it's actually very common in premenopausal women - especially if there is any history (personal or family) of depression or other mental diseases. I used to worry about having a heart attack and when I should have it so I could be sure someone would find me - or how to make sure that if I had a heart attack while I was driving could I get to side of road safely.. very real fears.. very extreme. I kept all these emotions to myself until one day I was convinced I was having a heart attachk and convinced my hubby to take me to dr office (without telling him why - just said I wasn't feeling well). The minute I saw my doctor I started crying and said I am having a heart attack and I wasn't sure what to do.. he was great.. he just looked at me, listened to me and smiled.. described panic disorder and said that is what I had.. it has become a standing joke now at my physical every year- he says "ready to come off the Paxil" and I say "nope, too scared".. we aren't really going to take me off yet anyway though.. in fact, after several years of downgrading the dose, we just increased because it turns out Paxil is also effective against hot flashes/night sweats.. yep, got those too.. :)
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's so comforting to know this is so common! I can't really relate to a lot of you in the specific type of anxiety, except maybe the panic disorder thing. When my attacks became constant and more severe, there really was nothing I could possibly think of as to why they were happening. I was always aware of what I had been thinking of before they happened, and it was never anything stressful or anything. They are seemingly random. But like I said, I'm on Paxil now and my irrational fears have mostly gone
    (though I still fear bees) and I rarely get attacks. When I do I just take a 0.5 mg lorazepam (Ativan) and I'm better. I'm usually not so open to taking such heavy meds, but this is so severe there really is no other option. The physical symptoms were literally crippling, I could not do anything but sit on my couch, and STILL got attacks then. And it is likely I will just have to be medicated all my life, because my father has had severe anxiety since he was in his 20s, and he's 46 now. He takes alprazolam, I think. Anyway, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one out there with this problem. I'm glad that most everyone has it under control, too. :-)
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I thought i was just crazy! Didnt realize so many ppl had this problem! Sometimes i feel like its just a copout & i dont feel like i can talk about how i feel! I feel like a tightly wound spool of thread & my body stays tense nearly 24/7 & i get panic attacks just watching tv. We lost our insurance about 6 months ago & cant afford the trip to the dr, which suck, but i try my hardest to control it. like to notice when im tense & to relax, just to find myself tense again. lol! Just breath when my heart is palipitating from a panic attack.
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I get anxiety when I drive but I have to do it anyways. I dont have the luxury of being drove around or staying home and not working so I can avoid driving. What helps me is talking on the phone to my mom. It doesn't always work though, sometimes she's busy. I avoid freeways at all costs and most of the anxiety problems I have are when I go over freeways or get on parts of the road where I cant pull over or sit at a stoplight and feel stuck in traffic.
    I am not on any medication, by choice. I used to be. I tried going back on and the medication scared me so much I ended up stopping taking it. I just started telling people. For awhile I was really embarrassed about it. I still am, but Im able to tell people about it now.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Me too. But now my current anxiety--which manifests in a variety of ways--seems to be largely due to the fact that (thanks to finally having found a fantastic therapist and being ready to get to the painful, below-the-surface issues) I've been making so much progress in pretty much all areas of my life and it's scary to see myself as something close to "normal" instead of fat, self-isolating, anxious and depressed. So basically right now I'm anxious because I'm feeling so good.
  • Sparrowcares
    Options
    I also have an anxiety disorder.
    I am on Celexa (40 mg) and for now it seems to be keeping me where I need to be.

Xanax (Alprazolam) was perscribe for a while when I was having one long continous attack but I weaned myself off from it.. I am on medication for high presssure in my eyes to prevent Glacoma and Xanax is a no no for that.

If I go off from Celexa my body goes into HUGE panic attack non stop. This scares me if something were to happend that I could no longer get it any more.

I had a trama as a child and my anxiety has stemed from that. It wasn't until a few years ago that I realized this.
    I will pray for all of us here.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Don't you just love pervasive thoughts? I have them at night, and I have them constantly when driving, especially highways and freeways, whether I'm driving or someone else. I have tried to explain to my husband that while driving that two way highway, with ever passing car, I can clearly see it crossing the line hitting us head on, or even sometimes us crossing the line. Or other things like going over a cliff. Sometimes I worry that my anxiety is whats going to cause an accident.

I would literally lay awake all night and think about silly things like what would happen if my ceiling caved in, or how would I get out if the first floor caught fire, since I live on the third, worrying about my small puppy somehow managing to climb up to a window, magically open it, fall out and die.
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Anyone use EFT or TFT? They are tapping techniques, I guess you tap the same areas that are used in acupuncture. Baseball Athletes have been seen doing this during games. My daughter who also has anxiety, is working on dropping her meds, and her doc recommended this to her. So I'm suppose to be researching it. He wants her to have a few different tools lined up for her to use. He said using breathing techniques on a regular basis, before the attack, can help lower the anxiety threshold.
  • routerguy666
    Options
    Tried the tapping briefly. I was desperate enough to try anything. Didn't do a thing for me.

Xanex is nice, but getting high is always nice and still left me with panic attacks.

Lexapro took me from panic attacks to panic attacks+routinely contemplating suicide in the course of 4 short weeks.

Effexor removed the anxiety from my life. All of it. So consider that a lot of your motivation to do pretty much anything you decide to do is based upon some form of anxiety - "I should do this or that will happen", "I'd like to do that but I've only got half an hour so it has to be quick", etc, etc. All of that - gone. A year spent caring about nothing at all. All hobbies dropped, years invested in practicing music shelved, etc, etc.

Getting off Effexor was the most painful thing I've ever been through. It's like someone stabbing you in the brain non-stop for two weeks.

Psychologist helped as far as a) explaining what the disorder is about, b) trying to help you find some reason that it started happening (totally out of the blue with nothing bothering me at the age of 36) and c) pointing me in the direction of that Don't Panic book and giving me some simple mental exercises to do in order to get back on top of my thoughts.
  • njbooklover
    njbooklover Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Becky1971
    Options
    Wow, that's a lot you have been through trying to find some relief. For me, not being on any meds now, the worse thing is Caffeine. I have been taking flaxseed oil capsules, and my family went on a beach trip a couple months ago, I drove a long the coast cliff and didn't have any anxiety at all, I climbed up and then down the light house stairs and had no symptoms (Heights is new to me, seems with perimenopause anxiety got worse for the first time in years, and includes heights which has NEVER been an issue) but the thing is, is that I have to stay away from the caffeine. It's very little when I do have it, (a small fountain filled first with ice. one every couple of days lately, but I got through periods of not having it for weeks) If I start struggling with motivation, or if stress hits me, then I turn to caffeine. And then my anxiety goes way way up. I was on Zoloft for 12 years, and that was hard getting off of, was months and I was still having brain zaps, and eye twitches.

My daughter is trying to get off Lexapro now. (I also have a son who was on meds for 16 years, and he's been off successfully for over a year) She wants to see if she can do it too, and frankly I would love for her to embrace doing all she can to be successful, but I know sometimes going off just isn't the best thing. So anyways, we are in that process of it. All this is really like a two edged sword isn't it?

I'm excited about that book, my daughter is in counseling, but her counselor wants to drop her, (due to heavy caseload) it's frustrating. I don't have any insurance or the money for counseling, so I'm opened to anything that would help. My daughter has actually been a great inspiration to her, I have seen her face her anxieties over the years and challenge herself to do things she was always "afraid" of doing. Including getting up in front of youth group and singing with the worship team. But this past school year, she's gone down hill again, and thats when we upped her meds, and she just gained weight. And not much has changed with the anxiety. SO we are looking at any possible tool for her to use.
    Tried the tapping briefly. I was desperate enough to try anything. Didn't do a thing for me.

Xanex is nice, but getting high is always nice and still left me with panic attacks.

Lexapro took me from panic attacks to panic attacks+routinely contemplating suicide in the course of 4 short weeks.

Effexor removed the anxiety from my life. All of it. So consider that a lot of your motivation to do pretty much anything you decide to do is based upon some form of anxiety - "I should do this or that will happen", "I'd like to do that but I've only got half an hour so it has to be quick", etc, etc. All of that - gone. A year spent caring about nothing at all. All hobbies dropped, years invested in practicing music shelved, etc, etc.

Getting off Effexor was the most painful thing I've ever been through. It's like someone stabbing you in the brain non-stop for two weeks.

Psychologist helped as far as a) explaining what the disorder is about, b) trying to help you find some reason that it started happening (totally out of the blue with nothing bothering me at the age of 36) and c) pointing me in the direction of that Don't Panic book and giving me some simple mental exercises to do in order to get back on top of my thoughts.
  • little_wolfie
    Options
    Aw crap, my doctor juuuust started me on Effexor. I've heard such horror stories about it.

I am all for going the herbal route. The whole reason I had surgery in May was to get OFF the painkiller I was on, so I'd be down to just 2 medications a day (Zoloft and blood pressure med.) The painkiller, Tramadol, is more powerful than Ibuprofen, less powerful than Percocet/other opiates. It's not a true opiate, but it acts like one. And it works so damn well. The entire month of July I basically sat on the couch wanting to die - I wasn't going through withdrawal at that time because I'd already been off the Tramadol for 1.5 months, but it just takes away the social anxiety and suddenly I was HIT with all of my anxiety issues at once and could barely move. It was a nightmare. My doctor decided that Zoloft had lost its effectiveness so switched me to effexor, but after 1.5 weeks of being suicidal gave me another Tramadol rx for emergencies.

Yesterday I had to hang out with my inlaws - definite emergency situation. So I took a pill and it's ridiculous how much better I functioned.

I have to say, I hate being a "drug addict," but if this medication is the only thing that makes it possible to function then I will take it for the rest of my life happily. I am a better person and a better mommy when I am medicated. I suffered with severe anxiety and depression my child/teenagehood until I sought medical help in 2008 and it has made such a different in my quality of life. My parents DO NOT believe in mental illnesses and my whole life I was told to snap out of it and get over it, having panic attacks when I called people or when I had to go to work, attacks at school especially since we moved all the time and I never knew anyone... having a supportive husband and a doctor who is working her butt off to figure out my quirky brain has saved my ever-lovin' butt. I used to cut myself to cope with it all and I don't have to do that anymore.