Push ups

So I have started doing push ups.. When I log it on here it gives no sign of calories burnt.. I understand at the moment I'm only doing 10 press ups but I'm hoping on building on that.. But would like to know that even doing 10 push ups is burning something.. Any ideas

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    It’s probably negligible in terms of how many calories burned right now, but when you get up to a good amount you can log calistenthics in the cardio section
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    The strength part of your diary is just a journal to record things (if you really want to) and has no calorie functionality.

You can log "strength training" under the cardio part of the exercise diary for a rough estimate but pointless for just a few seconds doing 10 pushups.
  • eznowjo
    eznowjo Posts: 50 Member
    OK thank you.. But will doing press ups help with loosing weight in general. Or just improve fitness,, strength
  • sijomial
    eznowjo wrote: »
    OK thank you.. But will doing press ups help with loosing weight in general. Or just improve fitness,, strength

Exercise isn't for losing weight - it's for health, fitness, strength, preservation of muscle while losing weight.
    It's something you should be doing (in many different ways) whether losing weight or not. Think of it as a great lifetime habit not a weight loss technique.
  • eznowjo
    But would doing push ups contribute at all to burning fat.. Loosing weight
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2018

Your calorie deficit is how you lose fat/weight.

The exercise we choose should line up with our fitness, strength goals etc. and general health and also for minimizing muscle loss through weight loss.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member

I guess the 5-7 calories you burn doing push ups contributes to your calorie deficit, but it's not a major portion.
  • sijomial

About the same as not putting a spoonful of sugar in your coffee or walking up one flight of stairs.
    Trivial or totally insignificant in other words. Yes all movement helps but you need to massively upscale from a few pushups to make it significant.
    And do remember this site doesn't encourage people to use exercise to increase their chosen calorie deficit - it's that life lesson thing again.

Focus on the big ticket items not a few seconds of pushups.
  • beartow
    beartow Posts: 3 Member
    If you approach everything you do with the mindset of "how much weight will this make me lose" you're setting yourself up to fail. It's about all the little lifestyle changes contributing to the bigger picture.
  • eznowjo
    evileen99 wrote: »

I guess the 5-7 calories you burn doing push ups contributes to your calorie deficit, but it's not a major portion.

Thank you.. Most appreciated..
  • mimc66
    mimc66 Posts: 33 Member
    according to web-md 1 pushup = 1 calorie. So, if you do 3,500 push-ups per week and not eat more, then you would lose a pound a week. Doing 500 push-ups a day would definitely make you good at push-ups but much easier ways to create a calorie deficit.
  • eznowjo
    mimc66 wrote: »
    according to web-md 1 pushup = 1 calorie. So, if you do 3,500 push-ups per week and not eat more, then you would lose a pound a week. Doing 500 push-ups a day would definitely make you good at push-ups but much easier ways to create a calorie deficit.

That's a lot of work.. Il just use push ups for toning then..