Jogging vs walking

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I have two forms of arthritis and I've taken up running, had to give it up, and am taking it up again. My knees are one of my worst joints and running doesn't bother them at all. In fact, it helps them.

Two things: I have good, well-fitted shoes, and I have good form. I also built up to it slowly and lift weights to help strengthen the muscles further. I think the biggest problems with knee issues probably come when people have bad form, tbh.

BTW, my lady parts are just fine. I'd like to see a source on how they'd not be fine and which parts would be affected. And ... lady parts? Really? Which ones?
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have too many knee issues from playing soccer: dislocated my left knee twice, twisted my right knee countless times. Frequent running exacerbates my knee issues very quickly, which is why I walk preferably flat or uphill. Unfortunately one must always come down if they go up.

I find the spin bike is good cardio too if you just want to get the heart rate up but go easier on the joints especially knees. My Physical therapist started me on slow cycle at the beginning of each workout session to warm up the knee, so if you are worried or start seeing knee issues you might consider doing some light stationary bike workout.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Running does not damage your knees! Running may reveal an injury, but there is no science that shows that running causes knee injury. The biggest predictor for runners developing a knee injury, is having a prior injury--usually from another sport. Youth fútbol or soccer are common culprits. Run if you want to.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I really wish that people could do a little research before shooting off their mouths on the internet but alas...it is what it is. the internet. CHECK THE WORD 'can' and look up its meaning...thankfully i'm not this guy c00armq0p6ep.png

Rather than having us all Google "lady parts," why not share the research that convinced you? Right now your claim is so vague (which "lady parts"? what kind of damage?), it's hard to even begin fact-checking it.

Since you already have access to evidence that convinced you, this will be really simple to resolve. Just share it with us.

I took one for the team and tried googling it several ways. Nothing comes up using "lady parts". General articles on "negative effects of running on women" involve excessive miles, wrong shoes, bad form - again, nothing involving "lady parts". I was actually surprised I didn't come across even one crackpot site involving prolapsed uterus scare stories.

I've heard the running is bad for women woo since the 70's when running became popular, never actually heard of a woman whose insides fell out as a result. I would be really interested to see the source on this one.

You'll be waiting a while because I am pretty confident we won't be getting one, even from a woo website.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing she is thinking of uterus prolapse maybe? But no unless your pelvic floor is really weak and already have prolapse issues running won't cause your uterus to fall out