Jogging vs walking

Options

Replies

• cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    cleesus wrote: »
    Running can be terrible for your knees/legs if you do it wrong. You should look up running/knee problems.

That being said I love running but just make sure you arent doing too much too soon and get the proper gear if you are going to be serious about it

Running wrong or running in the wrong shoes can cause knee/leg issues/shin splints, etc.

If you are serious about running I'd recommend getting fitted for running shoes at an actual running shoe store. They can analyze your gait and running pattern and recommend a good shoe. I did this and it was the best thing I did when I was running. I even got last years model on sale for 20% off!

Also, taking it slow and easy is important. Speed will come as you do it more, just focus on moving without stopping and you'll get there. Nice thing is, you can do a 1 mile run in a lot less time than a 1 mile walk!

Ooh, also... don't forget to warm up first (even a 5 minute walk will work) and do some stretching afterwards. Made a HUGE difference for me in avoiding issues and injuries.

Good luck!

To add to this, right now is a good time to gear a 20% off or more discount on a lot of running shoes since the new models will be coming out soon
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I loved running but I have some arthritic problems that got worse while running and ended up with arthroscopic surgery to repair some tears and remove some "loose matter". I also got a picture of my arthritis, which was kind of weird. It looks like chalk marks on the end of the bones. Surgeon told me that I could run but it would exacerbate it. I have tried a few times, doig just a little at slow speed and I will have pain behind the knee cap when I use the stairs for several days afterward. So I walk. A *lot* recently; usually more than 5 miles a day. On light days, I usually will still do 5k. I walk at around 4 mph and pushed myself to average 4.4 mph for 5 miles. I rarely walk at less than 3.5.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    I walk because I prefer it. It is less likely to cause injury and it can help lose weight just as well as running.
    "Half as well" would be more accurate. You'd have to cover about twice as much distance. It would also require more time, the exact amount depending on your running and walking speeds.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the Couch to 5K program. It's great and there are so many good apps. Personally I hate running outside. I have bad knees and the treadmill is better for me. Not quite as hard as running outdoors, but I get a great workout. I run/walk for 40 minutes, alternating every 4 minutes. (4 minute fast walk/4 minute job, etc)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Well you get more bang for your buck calorie wise from running. That’s why I prefer it. And also I enjoy going faster. It takes forever to get somewhere walking, when you jog you get there a little faster and it makes it a little more exciting. Although good shoes are important. I jacked my foot up trying to take up running wearing cheap Nike’s or whatever from DSW.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    h1udd wrote: »
    I have recently taken up running ... everything hurts, except my knees. ...... but everything hurting is my own fault as my cardio vascular ability FAR FAR outweighs my running ability so I have started doing too much too soon and havent learnt when to and how much to back off .... my tips ..... do it, it eats calories and works your body hard .. but take it easy and start slowly increasing distance gradually .... dont do as I did and start running 10k straight out the block
    Yes, don't do that. Start out slowly, build up your muscle and cardio base. It takes time.

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Ck103084 wrote: »
    I've been walking, fast walking, but walking all the same (I'm currently at 2.1 miles a day, increasing it every few days). Should I maybe kick it up a notch and do some jogging. I've heard jogging is terrible for your knees and I really don't want knee issues when I'm finally in a good groove losing weight and feeling better. My Uncle used to jog a few miles a day and his knees are horrific. I know that doesn't mean it'll happen to me but yeah.

So, jogging or walking. Opinions?

Personally, I can't do either on hard pavement...but because of a foot issue, not my knees. Take it slow, there's no reason you should cut out jogging. There are plenty of things that are worse for your knees. The benefits far outweigh the cons.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I walk because I prefer it. It is less likely to cause injury and it can help lose weight just as well as running.
    "Half as well" would be more accurate. You'd have to cover about twice as much distance. It would also require more time, the exact amount depending on your running and walking speeds.

I used to run at about 6 mph; I ran a half in 2:08:25, which is just a hair faster than 6 mph. I top out walking at 4.5 and can't keep that up more than a couple of miles, but I only have to drop the pace a little to get in the zone. I can go several miles at 4.2 mph. So only about 30% lower speed. That speed of walking is aerobic.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options

I used to run at about 6 mph; I ran a half in 2:08:25, which is just a hair faster than 6 mph. I top out walking at 4.5 and can't keep that up more than a couple of miles, but I only have to drop the pace a little to get in the zone. I can go several miles at 4.2 mph. So only about 30% lower speed. That speed of walking is aerobic.

We're getting way into the weeds here, but yes, everyone has a speed at which it is more economical (easier) to run than it is to walk. I can run >10 mph but struggle to walk >4mph! Competitive race walkers get way faster.
  • CarvedTones
    Options

We're getting way into the weeds here, but yes, everyone has a speed at which it is more economical (easier) to run than it is to walk. I can run >10 mph but struggle to walk >4mph! Competitive race walkers get way faster.

My last statement about it being aerobic may speak more to the comments I was replying to about how much better running is as an exercise. If the goal of running and/or walking is to burn as many calories as possible in a given amount of time, I think running is pretty much going to come out ahead but not by as much as a previous poster was suggesting. The mechanics of walking keep me from pushing myself quite as hard as I can running, but that might not be true for race walkers.

I guess there is a little emotional response in there; I don't like statements that sound like running is a "real" exercise and walking is not.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Unless you're comparing the lower end of running calorie burn with the upper end of walking, running most definitely will come out as a much more efficient way to burn calories.

And please remember that I was responding to the claim that walking "can help lose weight just as well as running" (emphasis added). It will not -- not unless you're comparing ultra-fast speed walking with really slow running.
  • Ck103084
    Ck103084 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    So, it looks like I'm sticking with walking. I've been jogging for about four days. Today I'm getting this sharp pain in my knee. Back to walking only :/
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Im a fan of walking - or power walking if you will...jogging for women is proven that it CAN be damaging to our lady parts. walking is not and its more energy efficient when it comes to weight loss.

btw. congratulations to you. :)

Which lady part gets damaged running?

????The male ego when we can out run them??? That's my guess at least, probably comes from the same source that says that if a woman lifts, she'll get super bulky and look like a man.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    So, it looks like I'm sticking with walking. I've been jogging for about four days. Today I'm getting this sharp pain in my knee. Back to walking only :/

No need to stop running but do less of it to start. Build gradually. Use a C25K program even if you never intend to run a 5K. Get fit for new shoes at a local running store if you haven't done so already.

I enjoy running so much more than walking. If for nothing else than it's so much more efficient for calorie burns. That said, runners high is a very real thing.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Jogging does F* with my knees - something about the gait I default to if going too slow. I can run just fine, I can walk just fine.. but jogging is a definite no-no for me at least. (My knees also don't like dancing charleston). I do run/walk intervals rather than jog or run more slowly for that reason.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Women are more likely to have a higher "Q-angle" at the knees due to wider hips that could maybe potentially make knee issues more likely. That's about all I can come up with.
  • epr3996
    epr3996 Posts: 2,719 Member
    Options
    I've been walking, fast walking, but walking all the same (I'm currently at 2.1 miles a day, increasing it every few days). Should I maybe kick it up a notch and do some jogging. I've heard jogging is terrible for your knees and I really don't want knee issues when I'm finally in a good groove losing weight and feeling better. My Uncle used to jog a few miles a day and his knees are horrific. I know that doesn't mean it'll happen to me but yeah.

So, jogging or walking. Opinions?

I have not read every post on here but i'm sure some more experienced runners have already told you to start off jogging real slow practice the landing of the foot and the breathing. For me I had a hard time getting used to landing on the front of my foot and convincing myself to stretch before leaving the house.

I start my music start the Mapmywalk or any tracking app then on Interval training I start the Tabata timer app then I start walking for 5 minutes.

I started running at 55 and my knees were bad before they are actually better now then ever before!