Jogging vs walking

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Jogging does F* with my knees - something about the gait I default to if going too slow. I can run just fine, I can walk just fine.. but jogging is a definite no-no for me at least. (My knees also don't like dancing charleston). I do run/walk intervals rather than jog or run more slowly for that reason.

I had to figure out how to maintain a proper gait with a slower pace. I had to be much more mindful of stride length as well as cadence. I also ended up using zero drop medium cushion shoes, and focused on mid foot strike and not understriding.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    just fyi
    jogging=running.

Sort of.
  • AKetola906
    AKetola906 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy running, but I love walking and hiking. I walk up to 15 miles a day and I do a ton of competitive 6K and 10K walks. When I'm training for a race, I work toward a 4.5 to 5 mph pace, which is booking it and burnings a ton of calories. If you feel live Prevention is a trusted resource, read this article: https://www.prevention.com/fitness/a20477492/how-walking-is-healthier-than-running/
  • marquel622
    marquel622 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    The two things that I think are most important for knee health as a runner, good shoes and a foam roller. Get fitted for the proper shoes and foam roll your legs often, especially the T-band. I ran for a couple of years and I started having knee pain. I got a foam roller and started using it regularly and no more pain. When the T-bands get tight, it pulls on the knee and causes pain. Proper stretching and strength training will also help with building the muscles to prevent pain. Proper form is everything. Starting at the base (your feet/correct shoes) will help prevent injury when running. I loved running but have since started doing more strength training as my body was very adapted to running after I did a couple of half marathons and I no longer had the time to run the distances I needed to keep my body challenged. It was great for taking off belly fat in the beginning. Couch to 5 K is a great app and finding a race to train for can also be a great form of inspiration. Best of luck to you. P.S. A good pair of shoes is going to run you over $100 but its a great investment. You should have proper footwear if you are going to be walking more and more as well.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Jogging does F* with my knees - something about the gait I default to if going too slow. I can run just fine, I can walk just fine.. but jogging is a definite no-no for me at least. (My knees also don't like dancing charleston). I do run/walk intervals rather than jog or run more slowly for that reason.

I had to figure out how to maintain a proper gait with a slower pace. I had to be much more mindful of stride length as well as cadence. I also ended up using zero drop medium cushion shoes, and focused on mid foot strike and not understriding.

Ditto.

@ritzvin - you usually lose some running economy slowing down, which different form may just be something body isn't used to, even when you make tweaks like stanmann mentions, and it's sore for awhile until it gets used to it.
    Then again - it may never, if you've tested it already for decent period of time.

I actually prefer the run/walk intervals during training - takes a load off the joints, but allows hitting that pace that seems max economy/best form (based on treadmill testing and watching cadence, HR, breathing rate), and seems funner since faster.
    My intervals are based on ancient chart I had based on weight above healthy weight, you change the run/walk % depending on how far away you are. Pretty sure it's what C25K was built on years later.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I am more than a little concerned about running again as it was a major contributing factor leading to knee surgery a few years ago and the surgeon advised against it. He said I can do it, but the risk of more tears is pretty high and he got pictures of some significant evidence of arthritis damage while he was in there.
  • heybales
    Options
    I am more than a little concerned about running again as it was a major contributing factor leading to knee surgery a few years ago and the surgeon advised against it. He said I can do it, but the risk of more tears is pretty high and he got pictures of some significant evidence of arthritis damage while he was in there.

Sounds like hill walks for you! Which actually if you can find interesting trail and not an abundance of ticks, can be fun. And a good workout if you just need to get the calorie burn up there.
    Well, with temp and humidity in many places now, not sure if "fun" is the word.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Sounds like hill walks for you! Which actually if you can find interesting trail and not an abundance of ticks, can be fun. And a good workout if you just need to get the calorie burn up there.
    Well, with temp and humidity in many places now, not sure if "fun" is the word.

I am fortunate to have a very large hill nearby with 4 pedestrian friendly ways to get up it and only one is in the trees - a park at the bluffs that are at the steepest part has a hiking trail to one side of the bluffs with steps cut into the hillside. that one causes some pain anyway. The three sidewalks on the adjacent hillside have just as much rise but are longer and a bit more gradual. Still pretty intense though.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    just fyi
    jogging=running.

Exactly, I hate when people say they saw me going for a jog, I am a runner and I run. What people think of as a jog is just a slower pace, but then would you say I jogged a marathon, even if it's at that slower pace.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    Sometimes you see people who seem like they are walking with a running motion. I call them joggers. When I ran, I was a 10 minute miler whether it was one mile or ten and I was a little sensitive about people calling that jogging.
  • heybales
    edited June 2018
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    just fyi
    jogging=running.

Exactly, I hate when people say they saw me going for a jog, I am a runner and I run. What people think of as a jog is just a slower pace, but then would you say I jogged a marathon, even if it's at that slower pace.

I've always heard it related to intended effort. Not outright speed levels.

If it was well slower than normal/possible because of a desired effect (recovery, training aerobic system, heat, ect) - then a jog.

But a marathon pace being slower than a 10K pace during a race is still a run.

But if during training I did my marathon pace for a 5K workout, perhaps a jog then.

Therefore the term is in the eyes of the one doing it - not observers that have no idea.
    And no skin off my back what others use - what does it really matter - I know what I did.

The other funny description I've heard is joggers jog in place at red lights waiting, runners pause and pace to wait.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    just fyi
    jogging=running.

I've always heard it related to intended effort. Not outright speed levels.

If it was well slower than normal/possible because of a desired effect (recovery, training aerobic system, heat, ect) - then a jog.

But a marathon pace being slower than a 10K pace during a race is still a run.

But if during training I did my marathon pace for a 5K workout, perhaps a jog then.

The other funny description I've heard is joggers jog in place at red lights waiting, runners pause and pace to wait.

There's a bit of a different cadence, more of a shuffle IMO.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you see people who seem like they are walking with a running motion. I call them joggers. When I ran, I was a 10 minute miler whether it was one mile or ten and I was a little sensitive about people calling that jogging.

I'm the same, I generally have 2 speeds, stop and go with between 10min and 11min miles depending on how I feel and how much DOMS I've got and what other workouts I've done that week/day.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    AKetola906 wrote: »
    I don't enjoy running, but I love walking and hiking. I walk up to 15 miles a day and I do a ton of competitive 6K and 10K walks. When I'm training for a race, I work toward a 4.5 to 5 mph pace, which is booking it and burnings a ton of calories. If you feel live Prevention is a trusted resource, read this article: https://www.prevention.com/fitness/a20477492/how-walking-is-healthier-than-running/

Walking 15 miles a day would drive me bonkers! I'm simply not interesting enough to keep myself entertained that long!

Quick point of interest...per the below link walking faster than ~5 mph burns more calories than running 6 mph. Walking strides just aren't terribly efficient for speed in the same way that running strides stink for going slow.

I think they mention that the cut over tends to be in the ~12 min/mile (4-5 mph) range. Slower than that and it's easier to walk. Faster than that and it's easier to run.

https://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-weight-loss/a20843760/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn/
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    the only difference is joggers find the bodies in the park
    and runners look pissed off at crosswalks indicating "do not walk"

i am slow so my run looks like a "shuffle"
    but i run so i am a runner
  • heybales
    Options
    https://exrx.net/Aerobic/WalkCalExp

Walking approximately 5.6 km/h (3.5 mph) is the most efficient speed. Running efficiency appears to taper off at higher speeds.

Transitioning from walking to running requires an increase of energy unlike once speculated. The primary stimulus for the transition from walking to running [Preferred Transition Speed (PTS)] is prompted by the perceived or imminent fatigue and discomfort in the tibialis anterior and other dorsal flexion muscle of the ankle (Hreljac 1995, Prilutshy et al 2001).
  • CarvedTones
    Options

Walking approximately 5.6 km/h (3.5 mph) is the most efficient speed. Running efficiency appears to taper off at higher speeds.

Transitioning from walking to running requires an increase of energy unlike once speculated. The primary stimulus for the transition from walking to running [Preferred Transition Speed (PTS)] is prompted by the perceived or imminent fatigue and discomfort in the tibialis anterior and other dorsal flexion muscle of the ankle (Hreljac 1995, Prilutshy et al 2001).

My transition from walking to running more often has to do with the bladder or intestines...
  • DX2JX2
    Options

My transition from walking to running more often has to do with the bladder or intestines...

or zombies.
  • DX2JX2
    Options

There's a newer study out that acknowledges height as a driver of walking efficiency. The taller you are, the more efficient you are when walking. That said, I'm not sure if height actually changes the 3.5mph point, or if it only changes the absolute level of efficiency vs. a shorter person at that same speed.