This pretty much blew me away...secret mom confessions.

jkleman79
jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
The "Today" show and Parenting.com surveyed more than 26,000 moms, and asked them to reveal some of their biggest secrets. And apparently all of these ladies were in the mood to tell the truth . . . 'cause this gets pretty RAW.
--Here are the 10 biggest secret confessions of moms. Kinda makes you wonder how much of this stuff is true with your own mom . . .

#1.) They Want to Be Left Alone. 23% of mothers say the thing they miss the most from their pre-parenting life is alone time. 14% say they most miss their old body . . . and another 14% most miss the sleep they used to get.

#2.) They're Weird About Seeing Other Women Breastfeeding. Even other moms think it's kinda strange when you whip out your breast in public. 42% say they don't like seeing it.

#3.) They Send Their Kids to School Sick. 49% of moms, or about HALF, have KNOWINGLY sent their kids to school while sick because they couldn't stay home to take care of them.

#4.) Most of Them Would Like a Do Over. 71% of moms say that they'd do something a little differently. 23% would pick a different SPOUSE, 21% would have more kids, 19% would pick a more flexible career . . .

4% question their decision to have kids ALTOGETHER . . . and 10% wish their child was the opposite sex. Of the moms who wished their kid was the other gender, 60% wish they'd had a girl instead of a boy.

#5.) They'd Choose Great Sleep Over Great Sex. It's close, but 53% of moms say they'd take a great night of sleep over, quote, "mind-blowing sex."

#6.) They're Distracted by Technology. This one REALLY isn't cool. 5% say their child has gotten HURT because they were texting or web surfing . . . and another 18% have had a close call.

#7.) They Medicate Their Kids More Than You Think. 18% have medicated their child before a long car trip or flight to knock him out . . . and 8% sometimes do it on regular nights at home.

#8.) They Judge Other Moms Constantly. 88% say they regularly judge other moms. 66% say they judge a mom with a bratty kid, 37% judge a mom with an overweight kid, and 34% judge a mom whose kid is eating junk food.

#9.) They Have a Favorite Child. 14% of moms, or about one in seven, say they secretly have a favorite.

#10.) They Use Their Kids to Get Out of Things. 84% have used their kids as an excuse to skip a social event they didn't want to go to. And 45% do that at least once a month.

Two other quick findings from the survey: 25% are worried their partner is a better parent than they are . . . and 44% say they'd rather be 15 pounds thinner than add 15 points to their child's IQ.

Replies

• jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Some of these are disturbing!
  • cynthiaclark1000
    cynthiaclark1000 Posts: 77 Member
    Totally agree with about 85% of that!!! The worst is the breast feeding thing! Super gross! This is why I have one daughter and I am completely content with her! :)
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    When my son is talking about video games I throw in "Yeah?", "Uh huh", "Oh really?", "That's awesome", etc. But I'm not listening at all. I just wait for a break in his talking and then throw in a generic comment.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    No 1 absolutely missed alone time when my children were younger, especially as I single-parented for most of their lives so I was the only go-to person around.

BUT now they are older and they have their own lives, there is too much alone time.

I do judge other parents, but only when everyone is being disturbed by the bad behaviour of their children except them (i.e. at a shop or cafe)!

GG
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    #10.) They Use Their Kids to Get Out of Things. 84% have used their kids as an excuse to skip a social event they didn't want to go to. And 45% do that at least once a month.

Single father going on 10 years now and this one is magic!
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Wow! I am a mom and I am not in line with a LOT of that. Some of it is REALLY disturbing. YIKES!

I do agree with Alone time...
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    the ones who said that IQ thing probably made the right decision, don't want their kids TOO MUCH smarter than them

Breast feeding doesn't bother me at all, I did it (tho not in public) but what DOES bug me is propping baby with the bottle GRRRRR
    IF you don't want to hold your baby long enough to feed him, I WILL - you are not worthy
  • kriswigg
    kriswigg Posts: 95

#3.) They Send Their Kids to School Sick. 49% of moms, or about HALF, have KNOWINGLY sent their kids to school while sick because they couldn't stay home to take care of them.

I'm a teacher.....already knew this one.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    #1.) They Want to Be Left Alone. 23% of mothers say the thing they miss the most from their pre-parenting life is alone time. 14% say they most miss their old body . . . and another 14% most miss the sleep they used to get.

,#5.) They'd Choose Great Sleep Over Great Sex. It's close, but 53% of moms say they'd take a great night of sleep over, quote, "mind-blowing sex."

#8.) They Judge Other Moms Constantly. 88% say they regularly judge other moms. 66% say they judge a mom with a bratty kid, 37% judge a mom with an overweight kid, and 34% judge a mom whose kid is eating junk food.

guilty as charged for these. Although I wouldn't say #8 is *constantly*, and I wouldn't do #5 on a regular basis, but every once in a while.
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    That is sad!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    I'd say a lot of this is spot on. We're human, our kids can drive us nuts. We still would die for them, and love them to pieces despite that.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member

"At least" once a month? Heck, I only get invited to social events once a month or less. Who are these party people?
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Wow! The IQ one is hilarious. Really? Man. People never cease to amaze me. I don't miss alone time but I do miss sleeping in bed with just my husband. Lol. But honestly, I secretly love letting them sleep with us because before we know it they will be teenagers and we won't be allowed to be seen with them. Haha!
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    the only time I really judge other moms or parents is on how they feed their kids

we don't eat fast food my kids have NEVER had fast food (granted they are both under 2) and unless they get it when they are in school they will never have it.we only eat sweets (like frozen yogurt or dark chocolate) once every few months and we give them a bite or 2

and my kids DO NOT get soda of any kind and the only juice they get is fresh 100%

I can't stand those parents that let their kids eat all the junk food they want then wonder why their kids have weight or behavior problems,
  • Gay11nell
    Gay11nell Posts: 166 Member
    "I'm a little scared", said the Mom who agrees with most of it!!!!!!! Don't judge me!!!!!!!
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Yeah, wow, but about 90% of statistics are made up anyway, right?
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Very interesting........some of those I can relate to though.
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    None of these surprise me. I am sure lot of these "secrets" are the same for the dad's.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    If you think those things are DISTURBING, try working at a children's hospital...there are a lot worse things parents do than that list!!
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Yeah, wow, but about 90% of statistics are made up anyway, right?

Statistics yes but this is a survey of actual entries....so a bit more credible. a bit. =0) I HOPE