Tips for bike commuting to work

Options
bikecheryl
bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
I live an hour away from my office and am in the process of figuring out the logistics of parking my car 6-8 miles from work and biking the rest.

It will mean getting up pretty early as I start work at 7:00 am, but I really like the idea.

Any tips from those of you that do the bike commute to work?

I'm lucky my office is business casual but I still need to look presentable.

Thanks in advance everyone!~

Replies

• cct204
    cct204 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Try it out on a day you're not working to give yourself an idea of the commute and how long it actually takes you (is it hilly, any bad stretches of road, etc.)

Baby wipes and dry shampoo are a godsend if you can't get a shower.
    Leave early and don't bother with makeup until you get to work.

If its less than 10 miles and a relatively easy road, you may be able to just bike in your work clothes (I used to bike my 12 mile commute in a skirt and heels with shorts or leggings underneath).

These girls used to be my favorite bike commuter chicks- they always make it look so easy and glamorous. https://letsgorideabike.wordpress.com/

Enjoy the ride!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    • Drive to work once or twice a week to stash fresh clothes, lunch food, etc.
    • If you need to carry clothes/supplies with you, a decent messenger bag is worth it's weight in gold.
    • If you can't shower at work, look at shower wipes, or even just baby/makeup/etc wipes.
    • Give yourself a bit more time than you think you'll need... especially the first few times.
    • You can't be too visible or too safe, even if you're on bike paths vs roads.
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 245 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Check the forecast.
    It could be fine in the morning and lashing rain in the evening, so you're prepared with rain jacket and that kind of stuff.
    I send a text to a friend before I go as well in case something happens.
    Also it would be good to learn a few things about bike repairs so that if something small happens you can fix it and be on your way and on time. A mini tool bag under the saddle for example would be handy.
    After that it all depends the kind of commute you're doing, like is it all suburbia and city streets or like me in rural country roads. :)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    If you will be biking to work during the late fall/winter, make sure that you consider lighting and visibility for yourself and others on the road. Even during the summer if there's a risk that you'll be in the office until after dark.

Keeping apprised of the weather forecast for the entire day is a big one. Sucks to ride to work but then to be surprised by a summer storm in the PM.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    watch the cars - sometimes they don't watch for you.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Always assume that every car on the road doesn't see you.

Even if you have the right of way, yield to cars. Because they don't see you.

Don't wear ear buds....keep your total focus on the road and everyone around you. Because most people are way too distracted while driving, and...trust me... they don't see you.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Always assume that every car on the road doesn't see you.

^^^This^^^
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    My husband biked six miles to work every day for about three years. He had panniers on his bike so he didn't have to carry a backpack. Sometimes, though, he did use a messenger bag for notebooks he'd had to use for at-home work. Every Sunday, he'd drive in to his office and hang up his business clothes for the week so he always looked put-together at work. He also had a towel and washcloth so he could do a little freshening up (he didn't have access to a shower there). He wore a neon shirt or jacket for visibility, and always had front and back flashing lights so he'd be seen. Sometimes he knew he was going to be biking home at dusk, so he added a headlamp to his helmet so he could better see where he was going, and this also increased the chance drivers would see him.
    He found his biking routine very helpful for not only getting exercise, but also de-stressing after a challenging day at the office.
  • pgray007
    pgray007 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Echo most of the stuff said so far. You can get lights that plug into USB to recharge so you just plug them into your computer at work if you work a desk job and never worry about dead batteries.

Also if you wear pants, they make little reflective Velcro strips that snug your pant legs up so your right pant doesn’t get caught in the chain, and drivers have a better time seeing you.

I’d also spend some time thinking through carrying stuff a bad bag or backpack will throw off your balance and make even a shorter ride challenging. Panniers are a great solution, or a “real” messenger bag, and finally minimize the junk you carry and your back/balance will thank you. If you don’t already know how, learn to change a tire and perform some basic adjustments. Carry a couple nitrile or latex gloves so if you need to mess with your chain you don’t end up with greasy hands.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I've been bike commuting for 3 years (mainly Mar-Nov). My closest calls have been in the parking lot at work, not on the roads, watch for cars backing out of parking spots. Always wear a bright colored top. If you commute at dawn or dusk, use blinking lights....you don't need the expensive high powered ones. At intersections make eye contact with side approaching drivers. Be very cautious about drivers possibly making a right turn in front of you, commonly called the "right wing hook". This is one of the most common causes of bike/auto accidents.

I have a bike rack/trunk bag system where the bag just clips on to the rack. That saves a few minutes each day. My work clothes, rain jacket, spare tube, multi tool and Co2 inflator go into it. If you have a locker at work, keep it stashed with baby wipes, deodorant and a towel. If you have to lock up your bike outdoors, a saddle cover is nice. I also have a helmet cover that I use quite often that blocks the rain and wind from getting into the vent holes.

Be prepared to enter your workplace feeling invigorated with tons of energy! It's not the same as other morning workouts....being out in the fresh air and nature really has a stimulating effect.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I bike commute year-round, but I have to say that I likely would not if I did not have facilities at the office to clean myself up. I used to have a gym membership around the corner, and now I have shower facilities in my office tower, but it is so much nicer to bike when I can just roll out of bed, hop on my bike, then shower and put on my work clothes and not get them all gross from the ride. That way, I can ride hard and give myself a better workout than if I have to keep myself from getting sweaty, and I don't have to worry about which of my clothes are bike-friendly.

I have all sorts of light-up gear for maximum visibility. Front and back lights, spoke lights (I have those clip-on LED ones that make your wheels into all sorts of fun colour patterns), and LED bracelets so my hand signals are seen. I use a messenger bag instead of panniers since I hate having to remove them whenever I park someone unsecured, and it works for me since I can keep my shower stuff and makeup in a locker.

I take a slightly less direct route, so I can use bike trails and bike lanes as much as possible and keep myself out of traffic. A lot of drivers seem to have a vendetta against cyclists, even responsible ones, and I take that saying about not being dead right to heart. If someone in a car cuts me off, swerves into me, turns right on a red light without stopping as I'm going straight on their right, etc., I ride defensively and let them do it and get out of the way because my safety is more important than showing them they're in the wrong. I am not interested in proving a point by my own injury.

Maybe not as relevant at this time of year, but if you're riding in the cold, which I do for much of the year, low-visibility ski goggles are a huge help. They keep my face warmer and my eyelashes from freezing together, I can wear them in the dark (unlike sunglasses) and still see well, and they keep snow out of my eyes. I actually wear all my ski gear on my bike in winter since it's all designed to keep me warm and dry at high speeds in cold weather, so I wear my ski googles and jacket, ski pants, mittens, face mask, etc.
  • bikecheryl
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone..... I knew the basics but really appreciate the little inside tips from those of you who have or are doing it.
    I've scoped out my route and hope to start this Monday.
    I'll let you know how it went. :):)
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I just noticed that the Cygolite Metro 500 lights are going for 29.99.....that's a steal compared to what I paid a few years ago. They throw out quite a bit of light and have a not so harsh blinking mode that works great at dawn and dusk. They're waterproof and rechargable. I get about 3-4 hours per charge. Very dependable.
  • bikecheryl
    Options
    I just wanted to pop back in and give you all an update.

Finally got that first commute in this morning!

Temps were still a little cool - 1C/33F but no wind which is always a bonus.

The route I devised was perfect - combination of trails and road.

Took me 30 minutes which is just about perfect as I still have an hour drive into the city before I start cycling.

I took everyone's safety advice to heart and made sure I have both front and rear strobe lights going along with a bright yellow cycling jacket.

My saddle bags worked perfect - lots of room and perfectly balanced.

I just need to work on whittling down what I put in them. Hopefully once the weather warms up it will be easier.

So.... 30 minutes in the morning, 30 minutes after work..... toss in a walk at lunch..... I'm really hoping I can get rid of these last pesky 20 lbs AND build up those leg muscles by the end of the summer.

Thanks again everyone!