Bad day- couldn't resist, overindulging fresh crusty bread, crisps and wine gums!!

Options
Hi all, this is my first MFP discussion. this is the start of my 2nd week and lost 3lbs , however went to Morrisons, smelt the tiger bread, wine gums and crisps, so am over by 500 calories. I know why, as I went around to supermarket just before, my normal teatime, and willpower failed, as ever on this dieting merry go round, feel annoyed and guilty now and its only nearly 9 pm.! Did MFP once before and lost 1.5 stone.
Any needle and threads out there, to sew my mouth up to get through this evening without eating anymore!!!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Just go to bed. If it is too early, go for a walk first.

Tomorrow is new day.
  • devonvalley
    devonvalley Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you, am going to drink more water and spend rest of evening on the loo! who wants to eat on the loo!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Maybe the problem isn't the over indulgence but your mindset around it. It's not a crime to occasionally have something you like, and if your weekly loss is 1lb a week all today means is that you didn't have a deficit today. So what, it happens, it doesn't undo everything. Even if you went a little over, you learn and do better the next time. These are the things you're going to have to learn to deal with to be successful long term. Have water, keep busy, don't rely on willpower because it's a fickle thing anyway. Learn to jump the hurdle, don't beat yourself up over it.
  • devonvalley
    Options
    Thank you , that really makes sense, i need to toughen up!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Thank you , that really makes sense, i need to toughen up!

Not toughen up, just don't be so hard on yourself. Think about the long term; are you planning to avoid your faves forever? If not, figure out how to make them work. We've all had days where we either over-indulged or cut into our daily deficits, those days can and do happen. It's what you choose to do if/when they happen that's the challenge. Weight loss doesn't have to be miserable.
  • devonvalley
    Options
    :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    also remember that your MFP calorie goals have a built in deficit - so even going over by 500cal, you are probably still within your maintenance range. you may see a slight weight uptick because of water retention (crisps etc being higher in sodium)
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Don’t beat yourself up, this is real life and those things are gonna happen. It sounds like your brand new at this, so cut yourself some slack. Log it, forget it and start again tomorrow.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    What is a wine gum??
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    What is a wine gum??

Disappointingly, it is just gummies candies.
  • MrSmooth2017
    MrSmooth2017 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just think of it this way. If you spent all year being good and sticking on target, and had one day off, do you think it would make a massive difference in weight loss? Nope. What about all month, and then one day off? Again nope. What about all week and one day off? Nope.

Just identify the times that you are at the weakest and come up with a plan to make it easier. If you know you are at your weakest at night going shopping, go in the morning. You are less likely to be hungry or snack. Even if you buy something you have most of the day to change your mind, or at least rein in the rest of the day if you do snack in the morning.

I found cutting out foods you do like isn't the best way to succeed. you need to factor in having them, just less of them. You are far likely to enjoy this journey if you are enjoying the food you like the most AND losing weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi all, this is my first MFP discussion. this is the start of my 2nd week and lost 3lbs , however went to Morrisons, smelt the tiger bread, wine gums and crisps, so am over by 500 calories. I know why, as I went around to supermarket just before, my normal teatime, and willpower failed, as ever on this dieting merry go round, feel annoyed and guilty now and its only nearly 9 pm.! Did MFP once before and lost 1.5 stone.
    Any needle and threads out there, to sew my mouth up to get through this evening without eating anymore!!!

So you ate at maintenance for one one, I wouldn't worry about it. Today is a new day
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You need to scrap the idea that one ‘bad’ day has ‘ruined’ things. We all have days when we indulge in more calories- you need to consistently be at a deficit but the odd day with more calories is part of life! What’s more, you know how many calories over you were- that’s good! You probably have been far more restrained today than on a ‘bad’ day in the past, simply because you have kept tabs on your intake.