Secret?

Options
2»

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Like you, I didn't want people to know I was 'trying' to lose weight. Why heap on that extra pressure?

Just say no. 'No thanks, I'm not in the mood'. 'No thanks, I'm not hungry'. 'No thanks, I fancy a bit of fruit'.

You don't owe anyone explanations.

Or if you're comfortable with it, tell them you're trying to make healthier food choices.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Make a sign and hang it in your cubicle. I DO NOT EAT JUNK!!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue, people finally stopped, but then again, I wasn't going to tell anyone about my weightloss plans but changed my mind and did end up telling enough people that they stopped asking me. Honestly, telling people ended up helping me a lot. I received a lot of encouragement and others have jumped on the healthy eating bandwagon with me. Occassionaly people will walk around to see who wants ice cream or chinese for lunch....they start to ask me, laugh and turn around because they know I won't order anything. Every once in a while, I do surprise them and say yes though.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others...just continue to say "thanks, but no thanks"

I know what you mean though, the difference is my friends know that I am making a change and I won't eat most of the stuff that they do. We meet monthly for breakfast...they all still seem so shocked that I don't eat any more. I have to tell them every time..."No I ate at home" - and then they walk over with their plates piled high with pancakes, waffles, nasty eggs, gross hash browns and everything is dripping in syrup...once they are done they don't look too pleased with what they ate....me on the other hand, I'm ready to get to the pedis and the shopping :D
  • eharring
    eharring Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    definitely something to learn from this: i don't ever want to be the "pusher." it's easy to offer people when you bring something, because you want to share, and make sure they know that there are "treats" in the breakroom etc... but sometimes it goes beyond that into something uglier about our psyches and wanting other people to fail/stay fat. we can't control others but we can decide not to be the pusher ourselves!
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    It's funny. My hubby gets water ice every night from a place near our house (he's tall and skinny and fit), and at first he was offering it to me every time. He said, "I know you probably don't want it, but I feel rude not offering." Finally, the other night, he just didn't offer. I didn't give him a hard time about offering though. I know he wants me to be healthy.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    LIE

..say "oh no thank you I had a HUGE breakfast/lunch/dinner and I'm STUFFED"

or if you have the willpower to do so..take one and as soon as they're gone, throw it out.

^^ That's smart. I don't mind telling people, and to a lot of people it is obvious that I eat differently, but I do get tired of repeating myself.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    "No thank you."
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    just say, "no thanks, please don't offer it to me, i don't need it". I'm trying to eat a bit healthier and cut down on my junk food and it's hard enough without being offered it at work.

as opposed to going into detail about your plans and methods.
  • krazeestraw
    krazeestraw Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you - some great ideas brewin'! I'll have to try a few of these to switch up the monotony, and then hopefully I'll become comfortable enough to slip the truth out there...

I am brand new to MFP so I am loving the community vibe and am super excited to continue this! I appreciate it!
  • deaterrae
    deaterrae Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Keep up the declining. The better you start looking, the easier it will be. (Please - don't follow a previous respondent's advice of throwing away food. It's wasteful.)

Another fantastic ploy is to start bringing around healthy treats. Fresh fruit. Veggies with some amazing dip that no one would believe is low-cal. No-salt or low-salt nuts, like almonds. Packets of trail mix. Little boxes of raisins. Maybe you could start a trend?
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    say you're fasting for religious reasons and then offer to tell them all about your religion and they'll leave you alone after that
    LOL

This is really great advice! Love it.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Take it as it comes, if you don't want them all to know your plans.

Or you could look at the person offering you the doughnut and say something like "so i can end up like you? no thanks" then they will think you are so rude they won't ever offer you treats again =)

Hahahahahahahaa
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd rather politely decline the offer than to not even receive it at all. It's the thought that counts, right?