Having trouble sleeping on LCHF

Options
Fitness_is_dope
Fitness_is_dope Posts: 16 Member
edited April 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
My brain just won't switch off.

I get up by 7am and train hard 5-6 days per week...I'm not even consuming caffeine atm. Usually under these circumstances I would be sleeping really well - the only thing that has changed is my diet so I'm just wondering has this happened to anyone else when eating low carb?

What can be done to improve it if you still want to keep carbs low? Does an L-tryptophan supplement help?

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I experienced the opposite when I went low carb.
    I now drop off in minutes and sleep straight through the night.

How long have you been low carb?
  • Fitness_is_dope
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    I experienced the opposite when I went low carb.
    I now drop off in minutes and sleep straight through the night.

How long have you been low carb?

About 2 weeks being strict and tracking on MFP
  • Fitness_is_dope
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Google low carb and sleep problems and you will come up with enough responses to tell you that this is a common side effect of this diet. The absence of carbs makes it more for difficult for your body to produce serotonin which helps ease anxiety and agitation. Being too low in serotonin will affect your ability to have a good night sleep. I am sure that some keto's out there can help you with tips to overcome this.

Thankyou. I have looked this up on Google and found the same thing so I'm pretty sure it's the low carb intake that's causing it. Hopefully it's just a transitional thing and my body will adapt. Apart from the sleep thing I feel great.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Google low carb and sleep problems and you will come up with enough responses to tell you that this is a common side effect of this diet. The absence of carbs makes it more for difficult for your body to produce serotonin which helps ease anxiety and agitation. Being too low in serotonin will affect your ability to have a good night sleep. I am sure that some keto's out there can help you with tips to overcome this.

Thankyou. I have looked this up on Google and found the same thing so I'm pretty sure it's the low carb intake that's causing it. Hopefully it's just a transitional thing and my body will adapt. Apart from the sleep thing I feel great.

Sleep is important.

If adding carbs back in helps you sleep, why would you not add some back in?
    Your stats would help - over training and undernourishing can lead to sleep issues too.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

Sleep is important.

If adding carbs back in helps you sleep, why would you not add some back in?
    Your stats would help - over training and undernourishing can lead to sleep issues too.

This.

Op do you have a medical condition that warrants you to restrict carbs? If not why low carb?
  • Alex_P_N
    Alex_P_N Posts: 18 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    My brain just won't switch off.

I get up by 7am and train hard 5-6 days per week...I'm not even consuming caffeine atm. Usually under these circumstances I would be sleeping really well - the only thing that has changed is my diet so I'm just wondering has this happened to anyone else when eating low carb?

What can be done to improve it if you still want to keep carbs low? Does an L-tryptophan supplement help?

Yes, always find I have brain rushes and late night energy when on strict low carb, I always imagined it could be related to the adjustment of Insulin/Hormonal patterns, i.e. the antithesis/opposite of carby food / sugar / energy dips - but don't know the science properly.

Would highly recommend you get a couple of good quality chamomile teas inside you on an evening, and try some basics like taking a bath before bed.

• frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I would say eat like a normal person, but it's hard to tell from your post if you're doing that already. What is your total calorie intake, what's your height and weight, and the macro split? (Why) do you have/want to keep carbs low?

What’s normal? And who decides what is normal? You?
  • forma2017
    forma2017 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been experiencing this too. I'm so happy that my hunger is much lower and I'm not snacking, craving less, not feeling sleepy during afternoons after meals, but the sleep thing sucks a lot. I am wide awake in middle of night after a few hrs of sleep. Honestly I drink 2-2.5ish glasses of chardonnay and that is the only thing that is helping so far. it's fair amount of calories but not that many carbs and I figure it in to my intake. I have tried sleep aids but they give me a worse hangover than the alcohol. Wish I had better advice. magnesium, melatonin, etc did nothing.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Ok. This is going to sound strange. Based on what I know about myself controlling your appetite and controlling your actual physical hunger are not always the same thing. If you are physically hungry at bedtime it can easily disrupt your sleep. I have superb appetite control and I do it without eating LCHF. I could easily do 5:2 but I know almost certainly that on the lower calorie fasting days even though my appetite is in check I would struggle to sleep because I am physically in need of more calories.

ETA: I don't like the idea of 5:2 btw. That was just an example. I know it works for some people but I have never responded well to deprivation at that level.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    You could always try low carb instead of keto. That way you may get most of the benefits with fewer side effects. It isn't just your sleep you need to be concerned about. Long term your mood could also be negatively impacted. Just remember that keto isn't suitable for everyone.