Lost 1kg in 4 days?

Options
I set the goal on MFP to lose 0.2kg a week, however so far I’ve lost 0.2-0.3kg a day, even though I’ve been eating and exercising according to the calorie restriction it has given me.

Is it healthy to lose 1kg in 4 days, and what can I do to ensure that I don’t lose that much in such a short amount of time?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    If you have a lot to lose this can be pretty common. It has only been a few days.
    If you are concerned up your calories and reacess after a reasonable amount of time, at least a couple of weeks.

Make sure you are weighing/measuring your food accurately, you may be undereating.
  • Rhisereld
    Rhisereld Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your weight can vary naturally due to water retention, time of day, last meal, etc. It is normal to notice that from day to day you might lose a lot of weight or even appear to gain weight.

I recommend weighing in the morning before breakfast (and after visiting the bathroom!) to get more accurate results. Take your daily weigh-ins with a grain of salt and pay more attention to trends over time. Recording your weight every week is ideal.

If you still find that you're losing weight too fast, missysippy gave some great advice. Make sure you're measuring and entering your food accurately, and make sure you're recording your exercise accurately. If all else fails, try increasing your calorie goal bit by bit until you're losing at a rate that you're comfortable with.

Good luck!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    and are you eating back your exercise calories or at the very least a very good portion of them? The exercise goals you input are not used in the caloric calculations till you actually log your exercise (or adjust your calories via a connected device).
  • Jadeyy_xo
    Jadeyy_xo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was at 50kg 4 days ago and now I am at 49kg, i enter the calories burned based on what exercise I’ve done that day (walking, hula hoops, leg exercises) but thank you all for your advice, I may be under-eating and entering the exercises incorrectly. :)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Some of this could easily be water weight that you have lost. The only way to tell is to continue doing as you are and keep track of your weight loss over time. It will not be linear. Weight trending apps like Libra and Happyscale are great for seeing overall trends.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Jadeyy_xo wrote: »
    I was at 50kg 4 days ago and now I am at 49kg, i enter the calories burned based on what exercise I’ve done that day (walking, hula hoops, leg exercises) but thank you all for your advice, I may be under-eating and entering the exercises incorrectly. :)

Your weight is unlikely to be 50kg every day. A variance of 1kg (or a couple) is completely normal - perhaps get a trending app to see how you weight is trending over time
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Jadeyy_xo wrote: »

Your weight is unlikely to be 50kg every day. A variance of 1kg (or a couple) is completely normal - perhaps get a trending app to see how you weight is trending over time

This. I weigh every day and I'm always moving up and down on the scale, so it's hard to see my progress. I use Happy Scale and it has really helped to see my weight loss.

ETA: just to clarify, it's the Happy Scale app.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Yep. I've lost 5 lbs in 6 days. It's water.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I lost a bit over 3 lbs over 3-4 days because I just started eating at a deficit again. It's water loss.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    maybloom17 wrote: »
    I lost 13 pounds in 40 days after adopting the ketogenic way of eating ( 20 g carbs per day). I was 211 pounds and found it impossible to lose weight due to hypothyroidism and diabetes. This is the easiest weight loss method and very natural and healthy too.

Yes. You lost water weight.

Think you lost true weight? Add some more carbs back in, while eating the same level of calories, and see what happens.