Jogging vs walking

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I really wish that people could do a little research before shooting off their mouths on the internet but alas...it is what it is. the internet. CHECK THE WORD 'can' and look up its meaning...thankfully i'm not this guy c00armq0p6ep.png

Rather than having us all Google "lady parts," why not share the research that convinced you? Right now your claim is so vague (which "lady parts"? what kind of damage?), it's hard to even begin fact-checking it.

Since you already have access to evidence that convinced you, this will be really simple to resolve. Just share it with us.

I took one for the team and tried googling it several ways. Nothing comes up using "lady parts". General articles on "negative effects of running on women" involve excessive miles, wrong shoes, bad form - again, nothing involving "lady parts". I was actually surprised I didn't come across even one crackpot site involving prolapsed uterus scare stories.

I've heard the running is bad for women woo since the 70's when running became popular, never actually heard of a woman whose insides fell out as a result. I would be really interested to see the source on this one.

You're a superstar, thanks for trying.

• janejellyroll
    Options
    I'm guessing she is thinking of uterus prolapse maybe? But no unless your pelvic floor is really weak and already have prolapse issues running won't cause your uterus to fall out

And if your pelvic floor is that weak, all activity is going to be a potential issue.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Running consumes twice the energy of walking, but it takes effort to train enough that you can sustain that for long periods.

The nature of running means that it can help to develop the musculature, and connective tissues around the knee.

Personally I enjoy running, but it's not for everyone. If you fancy it, then try it.

Why would running consume twice the energy if you are going the same distance?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Running consumes twice the energy of walking, but it takes effort to train enough that you can sustain that for long periods.

The nature of running means that it can help to develop the musculature, and connective tissues around the knee.

Personally I enjoy running, but it's not for everyone. If you fancy it, then try it.

Why would running consume twice the energy if you are going the same distance?

from runners world
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Oh @janejellyroll another lol that this made me think of is my friend who has had the same surgery told me I should never ever run because of prolapse risk and that I should use a rebounder instead for exercise.....
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Oh @janejellyroll another lol that this made me think of is my friend who has had the same surgery told me I should never ever run because of prolapse risk and that I should use a rebounder instead for exercise.....

Right, like if you're going to prolapse from movement I'm sure a rebounder is a much better choice! :D
  • allisonlane161
    allisonlane161 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner. I'm 56 and have no issues with my knees, hips or joints. Seems I'm cut out for distance as opposed to speed though. I think much of it is genetic.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    maybe she's referring to running potentially causing saggy boobs??? but I'm pretty sure anyone who is going to run will wear a sports bra.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Ck103084 wrote: »
    Wow. This took a turn, lol. I'm going to stick with walking right now. It's working for me and I am overweight still so when I loose more I'll consider the idea of running. My brother's jogging now and he loves it. The time it takes to walk is getting annoying but I'm trying to increase my speed to adjust that.

BTW, 2.2 miles today. That's huge for a girl that couldn't walk around the block last year :)
    Down 26.4 lbs.

Thank you again for all the information. I've researched a lot thanks to you all. :)

You're doing great, and that is indeed great progress!

I started out with walking to the corner one day and it took me a couple of years to progress slowly to running. One of the steps I did was walking faster intervals to work on my walking speed. I made a game of walking faster between a certain amount of telephone poles. If you want to get really fancy with it, Runtastic has a very basic interval timer app for both Apple and Android that will also work well. You can set up any interval/rest periods you want with a warm up period as well. It's free.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I can't walk a half marathon in the maximum allowed pace time. So for me, running is the winner. (I do a run-walk blend, but it's that running part that keeps me under the max.)
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I walk at 4.5 MPH uphill for 45 mins a day and by the end I’m sweating and out of breath.

That is blazing fast walking!!