What do you do when you screw up?

Options
In the past, if I screwed up with my eating I would say- okay eff it, I'll eat what I want the rest of the day and tomorrow will be a new... but that hasn't helped obviously!! Today I ate these protein bites (from my local meal prep place) they had chocolate and tasted like a good cookie and well I ate them all!
Anyways... it actually fits into my macros, I'm only some over on my fat grams for the day... so do I skip dinner since I'm not "starving" or eat something light?

Replies

• chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    How are you on calories if you have some left then eat them
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Where are you on calories?
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Generally I'd see how hungry I was in a while. If not hungry than don't worry about it, don't eat. If you are hungry, eat something lighter, and move on with your life. One extra snack isn't going to have too much effect on anything, honestly.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Depends on calories.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options

1475 I believe... my diary is open, protein isn't much of a concern going over 20ish grams, but going over my fat too much was something my dietician told me to watch
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    If it were me, and I tried skipping dinner, I would end up “screwing up” again later at night. I would wait for a late dinner, and if I felt any hunger at all, I would have something small. Maybe an apple and cheese. Just to keep myself from bingeing later on and turning a screw up into an even bigger screw up.

Okay good point
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You're focusing too much on your macros. For weight loss, it's the calories that matter, that's why everyone is asking you were you are in your calories for the day. Your macros matter for satiety, yes. But for weight loss, it's all about the calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    Options
    I go over on fat all the time. You know, the rage of the day is keto, and it's pretty much just living on fats, moderate protein and low carbs. Too much fat isn't a problem for weight loss, too many calories are.
  • FlyingMolly
    Options
    Lizzypb88 wrote: »

1475 I believe... my diary is open, protein isn't much of a concern going over 20ish grams, but going over my fat too much was something my dietician told me to watch

What are your goals? Do you have any health concerns that make fat intake an issue? Mine’s routinely around 70% with no adverse effects, so I’m inherently skeptical of “Watch out for fat!” in a vacuum. :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Don't skip dinner if you still have the calories left for it. That's just silly. You might end up on a binge later if you starve yourself.

Maybe your nutritionist wants you to "watch the fat" because doing so tends to help keep overall calories down a bit. Fat has more calories per gram than other macros. Otherwise, outside of a health issue that calls for fat reduction, I don't see why it would matter. Calories are what counts when it comes to weight loss and maintenance.

If you really feel you need to (and I don't think going over on fat - or any macro - if you are still within calorie goals is an issue at all) then just eat a dinner that is low in fat this time. No problem. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    In the past, if I screwed up with my eating I would say- okay eff it, I'll eat what I want the rest of the day and tomorrow will be a new... but that hasn't helped obviously!! Today I ate these protein bites (from my local meal prep place) they had chocolate and tasted like a good cookie and well I ate them all!
    Anyways... it actually fits into my macros, I'm only some over on my fat grams for the day... so do I skip dinner since I'm not "starving" or eat something light?

If you are not hungry and have had enough calories then you don't have to eat more for dinner.
    If you are hungry:
    You could eat your maintenance calorie level today.
    You could have a higher day today and a bit lower for a few days. Look at your weekly calorie deficit instead of just daily.
    You could eat something low calorie like a pile of vegetables, vegetable soup or some yogurt. Have you had much fruit or vegetables today?
    You could exercise a bit more this week to compensate for the extra calories.

• Lizzypb88
    Options
    You're focusing too much on your macros. For weight loss, it's the calories that matter, that's why everyone is asking you were you are in your calories for the day. Your macros matter for satiety, yes. But for weight loss, it's all about the calories.

I only went over 100 calories for the day, so I agree with u, so that's why I'm trying to look at my macros
  • Lizzypb88
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Don't skip dinner if you still have the calories left for it. That's just silly. You might end up on a binge later if you starve yourself.

Maybe your nutritionist wants you to "watch the fat" because doing so tends to help keep overall calories down a bit. Fat has more calories per gram than other macros. Otherwise, outside of a health issue that calls for fat reduction, I don't see why it would matter. Calories are what counts when it comes to weight loss and maintenance.

If you really feel you need to (and I don't think going over on fat - or any macro - if you are still within calorie goals is an issue at all) then just eat a dinner that is low in fat this time. No problem. :)

Just to note- I don't see a dietician anymore but I was with her for 6 months last year to learn how to eat better... I do typically eat a lot of meat and not much veggies so she kept me at 1200 at least, to 1450 calories, 100 protein/163 carbs/ 48 fat, and I tend to go over fat and never over on carbs, it's just what worked for me and I lose well if I follow her instructions to a T and I'm never hungry or craving, unless I have too many screw up days, so the weight slowly came back on so I'm trying to ease up and not binge
  • FlyingMolly
    Options

I only went over 100 calories for the day, so I agree with u, so that's why I'm trying to look at my macros

Why? If the issue is satiety, it’s too late to change the macros you’ve already eaten. You can, however, check in with yourself and consider whether you’re actually hungry or not. Eat a meal, a snack, or nothing, according to how your body feels.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

What are your goals? Do you have any health concerns that make fat intake an issue? Mine’s routinely around 70% with no adverse effects, so I’m inherently skeptical of “Watch out for fat!” in a vacuum. :)

this I agree with, if you dont have a health issue where you need to watch fat then all you have to worry about is calories. if fat is making you go over your maintenance calories then cut back. otherwise you will be fine.
  • Lizzypb88
    edited April 2018
    Options

I remember now, she told me to watch the fat cuz I used to be 65+ grams of fat, so she just said to keep an eye on it but it's okay as long as it's healthy fats... I have no health concerns, I'm all good, but I am obese at 30 at 200lbs and don't want to be develop any health problems, so I'm just generally trying to lose weight (down from 270 at my biggest years ago)
  • Lizzypb88
    Options

this I agree with, if you dont have a health issue where you need to watch fat then all you have to worry about is calories. if fat is making you go over your maintenance calories then cut back. otherwise you will be fine.

Okay, I'm just so used to what my dietician drilled into my head, I did well with her instructions and didn't even have cravings for sweets etc and lost 1-2 pounds a week and had energy so I kind of look at her as a God of diets lol!
    But I'll try to keep that in my head that fats aren't the devil