Can't control appetite

Options
My stats are age 24, 5' 4", weight: 153lbs and goal weight is 125lbs. So I've been sticking to my weekly average of 1700x7=11900 calories along with exercise 5-6 times a week and walking. I eat high fibre, lots of veggies, fruits, carbs, fat and protein but I'm still hungry?! Does it take time to get my appetite under control? Prior to this I was in maintenance and I experimented two weeks ago where I tracked my calories and ate until I was satisfied for one day. The calories came out around 2400. I don't do excessive cardio, just YouTube workouts 3 times a week, strength training, yoga Pilates and trying to walk for one hour every morning. This week I've only walked 4 times. I also have PCOS and I read that the body will fight back due to low levels of leptin. My diet is going great, my exercise is great and I feel fitter than before! I was trying to eat 1500 calories in Feb before I went on holiday and into maintenance mode. Is my appetite not under control due to my hormonal imbalance? I just hate this constant feeling of wanting to eat more, I've been trying to ignore as I desperately want to lose weight and not just stay at maintenance all the time. I'm seriously thinking of taking some lemon water or vinegar to suppress this feeling cause my willpower is going down.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Are you eating bit more on the exercise days?

I lost my last 20 pounds at 1700 PLUS exercise calories. I wouldn't have made it very long at 1700 unless I ate more to fuel that exercise. Most days that worked out to 2200-2400: so right about where you are when you eat to satiety.

You are hungry because you need more food. Pretty easy to fix.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Are you eating bit more on the exercise days?

I lost my last 20 pounds at 1700 PLUS exercise calories. I wouldn't have made it very long at 1700 unless I ate more to fuel that exercise. Most days that worked out to 2200-2400: so right about where you are when you eat to satiety.

You are hungry because you need more food. Pretty easy to fix.

What were your activity levels and how long did it take you to lose those 20lbs? I felt that I'm sedentary so I should stick to 1700
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Don't read so much garbage scaremongering. We have appetites for reasons - survival and health. Your appetite will keep insisting that you feed yourself well, a balanced and varied and tasty diet. You're not supposed to control your appetite, and please don't try to mess more with it.

You can control your food intake, though. I don't think you're hungry, and you're talking about appetite, so I don't think you think so either.

So I should ignore this feeling and it will go away? Is that what you're trying to say? Or should I increase my calories?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Don't read so much garbage scaremongering. We have appetites for reasons - survival and health. Your appetite will keep insisting that you feed yourself well, a balanced and varied and tasty diet. You're not supposed to control your appetite, and please don't try to mess more with it.

You can control your food intake, though. I don't think you're hungry, and you're talking about appetite, so I don't think you think so either.

So I should ignore this feeling and it will go away? Is that what you're trying to say? Or should I increase my calories?
    I'm trying to say that you could investigate if you're eating balanced and varied enough, and truly enjoy the food you're eating.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    OP, how long have you been averaging 1700? What was your weight change over that time period?
  • xxzenabxx
    Options

I'm trying to say that you could investigate if you're eating balanced and varied enough, and truly enjoy the food you're eating.

I am enjoying what I’m eating. I’m not restricting food groups except for milk cause that gives me a stomach ache and so does white bread. Aside from that I’m eating chocolate everyday, eggs, cheese, I’m eating smoked salmon which I love, oats, peanut butter, even a slice of cake and many more foods. I just want to know if this feeling will go away as I’m only in the beginning of my journey after being on a hiatus.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

I am enjoying what I’m eating. I’m not restricting food groups except for milk cause that gives me a stomach ache and so does white bread. Aside from that I’m eating chocolate everyday, eggs, cheese, I’m eating smoked salmon which I love, oats, peanut butter, even a slice of cake and many more foods. I just want to know if this feeling will go away as I’m only in the beginning of my journey after being on a hiatus.
    Ah, good. I think you will always have some cravings, but they will become tolerable. That's what has happened to me anyway.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You may want to tinker with your macros a bit, as different people find different types of foods satisfy and keep them full longer.

This was my comment, too.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    OP, how long have you been averaging 1700? What was your weight change over that time period?

It’s only been a week this time but it’s not my first time. I always struggle with my hunger during a deficit which makes me eat more and then I find it hard to lose weight. I’ve lost a total of 10 lbs since January so it’s pretty slow but I have also been in maintenance some of the time.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    You may want to tinker with your macros a bit, as different people find different types of foods satisfy and keep them full longer.

I guess I’ll up my fats then
  • flatcoatedR
    flatcoatedR Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Do you think you are you actually physically hungry or are you craving certain foods? Sometimes it's hard to know the difference.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Do you think you are you actually physically hungry or are you craving certain foods? Sometimes it's hard to know the difference.

Sometimes I’m hungry and then it’s combined with cravings. I’m not satisfied until I eat 2000+ calories
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    My stats are age 24, 5' 4", weight: 153lbs and goal weight is 125lbs. So I've been sticking to my weekly average of 1700x7=11900 calories along with exercise 5-6 times a week and walking. I eat high fibre, lots of veggies, fruits, carbs, fat and protein but I'm still hungry?! Does it take time to get my appetite under control? Prior to this I was in maintenance and I experimented two weeks ago where I tracked my calories and ate until I was satisfied for one day. The calories came out around 2400. I don't do excessive cardio, just YouTube workouts 3 times a week, strength training, yoga Pilates and trying to walk for one hour every morning. This week I've only walked 4 times. I also have PCOS and I read that the body will fight back due to low levels of leptin. My diet is going great, my exercise is great and I feel fitter than before! I was trying to eat 1500 calories in Feb before I went on holiday and into maintenance mode. Is my appetite not under control due to my hormonal imbalance? I just hate this constant feeling of wanting to eat more, I've been trying to ignore as I desperately want to lose weight and not just stay at maintenance all the time. I'm seriously thinking of taking some lemon water or vinegar to suppress this feeling cause my willpower is going down.

I am sorry to hear you are having those problems. I am an N=1 just like you, but I also deal with appetite and hunger signaling issues. Some of my issues are due to low body fat I am sure as ahoy_m8 told me in another post. I hate to say this, as I am an N=1, but maybe your body might be a little happier at 150lbs? I am guessing you have lost weight already? If I am wrong, sorry in advance! Something I failed to realize when I was losing weight, its not all about our idea weight, but what we can easily maintain. I wish I had discovered these forums before I lost what I am considering too much weight. I still remember what my BF and weight were when I starting having REAL hunger pangs and food fixation. I am hoping that, hopefully, if I let my weight and BF slowly increase back to the level when it all started, it might help. Some people would call this a defeat. I don't. In the end, its really up to you.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

I am sorry to hear you are having those problems. I am an N=1 just like you, but I also deal with appetite and hunger signaling issues. Some of my issues are due to low body fat I am sure as ahoy_m8 told me in another post. I hate to say this, as I am an N=1, but maybe your body might be a little happier at 150lbs? I am guessing you have lost weight already? If I am wrong, sorry in advance! Something I failed to realize when I was losing weight, its not all about our idea weight, but what we can easily maintain. I wish I had discovered these forums before I lost what I am considering too much weight. I still remember what my BF and weight were when I starting having REAL hunger pangs and food fixation. I am hoping that, hopefully, if I let my weight and BF slowly increase back to the level when it all started, it might help. Some people would call this a defeat. I don't. In the end, its really up to you.

I’m not at my ideal weight. I’m 5’ 4” and I’m overweight suffering from PCOS. I HAVE to lose weight for my health. It’s not a vanity thing. I do not have low body fat I can pinch the fat on my arms stomach and legs!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Do you have a way to measure your daily steps in the course of everyday living (not purposeful exercise)? Sometimes people think they're sedentary, but they're really lightly active. I ask because walking an hour a day, if you're not also logging that exercise for additional calories, would probably take out out of sedentary.

When you exercise, do you add in those calories to what you're eating that day/week?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

I’m not at my ideal weight. I’m 5’ 4” and I’m overweight suffering from PCOS. I HAVE to lose weight for my health. It’s not a vanity thing. I do not have low body fat I can pinch the fat on my arms stomach and legs!

Best of luck. I hope you find something that helps you. :smile:
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You might be feeling hungry because, well, that's just you. I've tried various forms of eating at a deficit, different types of foods, etc. It makes no difference. I only get about 1500 calories but overeat most of the time to around 1600-1700 and I still always am wanting for more. I just have a large appetite and cravings. I don't think it will ever go away. As another poster upthread said, 2,000 calories is pretty good for me as for as being satisfied. I cannot lose on that, though.

I will say that my feelings of hunger have diminished *some* from the earlier days of eating at a deficit. But they never go away. I've just accepted it.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    You might have to experiment with different foods to see which ones fill you up the most. I eat loads of oats, leafy veg and broccoli combined with high protein foods as that fills me up, and I can eat a lot of food! Some people find fat helps, protein is usually filling and make sure you pick foods with lots of fibre. Fibre is really filling.