What do you do when you screw up?

Options
2»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    There are some 'dirty' words to dieting in my book. Screwing up, failing, cheating, and the like are often used by people who get mad at themselves for 'bad' behavior which makes the problem so much worse. Although it doesn't apply here willpower is another dirty word. Unless there is a disorder of some kind, anyone who is white-knuckling through day after day relying on willpower to save a diet doesn't understand themselves and how they need to diet.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Lizzypb88 wrote: »
    Where are you on calories?

1475 I believe... my diary is open, protein isn't much of a concern going over 20ish grams, but going over my fat too much was something my dietician told me to watch

What are your goals? Do you have any health concerns that make fat intake an issue? Mine’s routinely around 70% with no adverse effects, so I’m inherently skeptical of “Watch out for fat!” in a vacuum. :)

this I agree with, if you dont have a health issue where you need to watch fat then all you have to worry about is calories. if fat is making you go over your maintenance calories then cut back. otherwise you will be fine.

Okay, I'm just so used to what my dietician drilled into my head, I did well with her instructions and didn't even have cravings for sweets etc and lost 1-2 pounds a week and had energy so I kind of look at her as a God of diets lol!
    But I'll try to keep that in my head that fats aren't the devil

It's great that you've found a macro split that makes it easy for you to stick with your calorie goal. Just don't start mistaking the means (a macro split that works well for you in terms of providing satiety and curbing cravings) with the goal (losing weight in a healthy way). So if one day you do things a little differently in terms of the means (macro split) but are still at maintenance or below (because it's fine to have the occasional day at maintenance -- this isn't a race), there's really nothing to worry about. You didn't "screw up."

One other thing I thought I'd mention -- you don't give your current weight or how far you are from a healthy weight, but if I read this correctly, you've been losing 1 to 2 lbs a week for 11 months or more (you worked with the dietician "for 6 months last year," and we're nearly five months into this year), which works out to something in the range of 40 to 90 lbs lost. It may be time to adjust your calorie intake upward to slow your rate of loss. But that's only a guess. If you started out severely or morbidly obese, it's possible that 1 to 2 lbs is still appropriate.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options

1475 I believe... my diary is open, protein isn't much of a concern going over 20ish grams, but going over my fat too much was something my dietician told me to watch

What are your goals? Do you have any health concerns that make fat intake an issue? Mine’s routinely around 70% with no adverse effects, so I’m inherently skeptical of “Watch out for fat!” in a vacuum. :)

this I agree with, if you dont have a health issue where you need to watch fat then all you have to worry about is calories. if fat is making you go over your maintenance calories then cut back. otherwise you will be fine.

Okay, I'm just so used to what my dietician drilled into my head, I did well with her instructions and didn't even have cravings for sweets etc and lost 1-2 pounds a week and had energy so I kind of look at her as a God of diets lol!

It's great that you've found a macro split that makes it easy for you to stick with your calorie goal. Just don't start mistaking the means (a macro split that works well for you in terms of providing satiety and curbing cravings) with the goal (losing weight in a healthy way). So if one day you do things a little differently in terms of the means (macro split) but are still at maintenance or below (because it's fine to have the occasional day at maintenance -- this isn't a race), there's really nothing to worry about. You didn't "screw up."

One other thing I thought I'd mention -- you don't give your current weight or how far you are from a healthy weight, but if I read this correctly, you've been losing 1 to 2 lbs a week for 11 months or more (you worked with the dietician "for 6 months last year," and we're nearly five months into this year), which works out to something in the range of 40 to 90 lbs lost. It may be time to adjust your calorie intake upward to slow your rate of loss. But that's only a guess. If you started out severely or morbidly obese, it's possible that 1 to 2 lbs is still appropriate.

Thanks for the insight. I've lost 90 pounds since August 2015, but gained 10 back since last spring
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

for some people they do high fat low carb diets as for them fat satiates them. what satiates one may not another. fat is also needed in some quantity for hormone function and certain vitamins and nutrients to be absorbed by the body. it doesnt need to be an exorbitant amount. 65+ grams are not bad unless like I said you have a health issue and need to do lower fat.
  • Tq43
    Tq43 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I " screwed up" today also. Was at a competition with my son and it over ran, we were all hungry so headed to nearest chipper. I had deep fried chicken goujons and chips..( can't even guess the calories :# )..absolutely delicious but obviously not healthy.
    I'm drinking water like crazy from The thirst it's given me and I don't think I'll eat anything else for the evening...maybe just some fruit .
    Tomorrow's another day....there will be days like this, so just getting back on track is all we can do.
    Eat healthy the majority of the time and the occasional " screw up" shouldn't make a huge difference.
  • no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I don't really beat myself up too much if I 'screw up'. I'm trying to change my lifelong eating habits, not go on a diet. There are many days where I go over my calories--sometimes by a LOT--but I still log everything and it reminds me to evaluate why I was hungrier those days or how I can get closer to my calorie goal. Lately it's been about adding more physical activity to offset my higher calorie days. I've gotten pretty sedentary and want to be strong and healthy 30,40,50 years from now.

I have my macros set to be low carb, medium protein, medium fat (kind of lazy Keto I guess) and I reference them throughout the day, but I don't give too much thought to whether or not I am always hitting them. For me, all of the numbers are reference points and guidelines so I can keep track of my day while I am learning how to evaluate my food choices; they are not the be all end all. I've noticed the days I eat too many calories often correspond to the days I don't eat as much protein, so that has given me something to work on.

And lastly, I truly eat whatever I want and don't deprive myself of things (other than the foods that I tested sensitive to) and I have seen very slow, but steady, weight loss. I'm trying new foods that I didn't think I would like, and end up loving--like baked zucchini! I don't force myself to eat foods that I don't like just because they are healthy. This is working for me because I don't have to worry about 'what will happen when I stop and go back to my old habits'. I'm changing the way I eat and exercise and relate to food for the rest of my life. Therefore, there really is no screwing up, failing, etc.

My ultimate goal is to feel fit and healthy, able to maintain a somewhat active lifestyle, getting a good balance of nutrients and just plain delicious meals, and be able to go day to day without having to log all of my calories and exercise because I will have learned how to keep track of those things naturally, while maintaining a healthy weight.